Malkoff - What did I do wrong?

Doru

Newly Enlightened
Ok. I know next to nothing about upgrading lights.

Reading posts here, I bought a Malkoff M60: http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=7

I then took that M60 and put it into my Surefire C2 Incandescent flashlight. I put it together, and it didn't work. I tried different ways of making sure. The Surefire P60 and P61 bulbs that I have work. The Malkoff M60 did not.

Am I missing something? Could the Malkoff be broken?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Drew

CLHC

Flashaholic
Which SF.C2 do you have? Might it be, in this particular instance, you'll be needing the Beryllium Copper Spring Washer?

AzN1337c0d3r

Banned
Hmm, I was under the impression the M2 was the one which requires that copper ring. The C2 is the one without the shock absorbing head?

zven

Enlightened
The C2 is indeed the one without the shock-absorbing head, but (and correct me if I'm wrong on this) there may have been slight variations in design or tolerances in machining over the years, and thus it's possible that the C2 in question is from a production run that was different from what the M60 was designed to fit in. If that's the case, the solution may indeed be as simple as the supplemental spring sold by Malkoff. Of course, it's also quite possible that something else is at work. It never hurts to try the simple things, like try it on fresh cells, clean the contact points, etc. And if those things don't work, and nothing is making the M60 work, send Gene an e-mail, and he'll advise you as to how to get it working. He's a good, honest guy, and I have no doubt that if the module is defective, he'll repair or replace it.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
The m60 in my c2 operates fine without any alterations...Genes got an answer for you,and usually propt,have you contacted him?

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Start with the basics! Try to eliminate the host all together, use the 2 cells and paperclip/wire method. If it lights up, then move onto contact issues with the body. Making your own contact washer is really really simple. Hopefully that is all you will need, if not Gene will set things right I'm sure.

generic808

Enlightened
Start with the basics! Try to eliminate the host all together, use the 2 cells and paperclip/wire method. If it lights up, then move onto contact issues with the body. Making your own contact washer is really really simple. Hopefully that is all you will need, if not Gene will set things right I'm sure.

Exactly what he said ^ And if it's a contact issue, you could even cut a coil or two from an old drop-in spring.

Doru

Newly Enlightened
Gene,

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I had a glaring typo that screwed up the message. I re-sent it.

To everyone else,

I have and tried the copper wire washer that I also bought from Malkoff. No luck with that either.

I don't know what the paperclip method. I assume it's when you have a paperclip contact the bottom and top battery, then place the light against that. I tried that, but couldn't get any light to work, including the P60 and P61 that I have and what will work in my C2.

Any other suggestions?

Drew

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
A mystery to me. Contact issue of some sorts, or cells were placed in the flashlight backwards resulting in reverse polarity, and unrepairable damage. We are all mortal beings and any one of us can make this terrible mistake.

Bill

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I very recently aquired an M60 myself. I too am running it in a Surefire C2.

My C2 w/ Malkoff M60 works perfectly.

Gene will make things right if the issue is with the M60.

Last edited: