Need help picking a edc light for my work bag

Soybomb

Newly Enlightened
So I'm looking for a flashlight to throw in my work bag. It won't get used much so I would prefer it run on 123's so I don't need to worry about the battery age too much. I would prefer it be relatively affordable (think dealextreme, not surefire). Finally I would prefer it to have a low and high mode (more optional but not required). Something that could say be like a 15 lumen long runtime low for extended power outages but still retain the high output ability if needed.

Is something like this about the best option? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4240 I think I'd prefer 2 batteries for better output but none of those have caught my eye yet.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soybomb,

why not use lithium energizers ion AA format? That will widen your battery and light selection options...

GBH2

Newly Enlightened

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I cannot coment on the C2 2mode but I consider the C2 reflector the best all-around (jack of all trades master of none) reflector on the market...It is big producing a tightish beam (but not that tight to be a real thrower). Yet the reflector is shallow enough to let light escape arounf the spot.

Compared to the D26 modules beamshape is both tighter and wider/brighter. So you get a good balance of throw and room iluminating flood.

marschw

Newly Enlightened
I like my L-Mini. It's not multiple cells, but it's adequately bright on 17670 or 18650 cells. The pot near the + terminal of the V1 light (the version I linked to) lets you fine-tune the brightness if it's not enough on high or too much on low (though it's quite capable of burning it out if you go too far). They also have some Q5'ed versions of Romisen lights that the original version had lower-binned Crees in them. Bessiebenny's stickied thread should give you lots of other suggestions, though.

Soybomb

Newly Enlightened
Soybomb,

why not use lithium energizers ion AA format? That will widen your battery and light selection options...

I'd considered it but I already keep enough 123's around for the other lights that I think it just makes the most sense to stay consistent.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I id not realize you have other lights...

I will still suggest the C2 but if you have at least one light that uses a P-60 module, I would also a WF-501B Cree or a Solarforce L-2 for compatibilty reasons

Soybomb

Newly Enlightened
This is kind of an old thread but I think I've decided on the http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5444 "Super-Bright Cree Q4 5-Mode LED Flashlight" Its not exactly what I want but maybe its as close as I can find. Anything better? Still needs to be 123 based and have at least a high and a low mode.

Does anyone make anything with an aviator style control? Lockout cap, light push for low, full push for high, none of this cycling modes nonsense? That would be really sweet.

sabre7

Enlightened
Olight T10? 1 CR123, has last mode memory but when in low a slight twist of the head will go straight to high, easy to do one handed. Good throw with tight spot and lots of flood area in same beam.

Last edited: