Project: 2D Maglite with SSC P7 and aspherical lens? Possible?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the beam of a Maglite with a aspherical lens :grin2:. That's why I want to start a project. Like the title says I want to take a normal 2D Maglite and build in a SSC P7 and a aspherical lens. I thought of a UI with two modes (100% and >50%). Like there are lots of instructions how to build in a P7 in a Maglite I think I will give it a try. I enjoyed the German physics highschool class so I know a little bit more than the basics of a electric circuit ;).

So at first I just want to know what you all think about my project? Is something like this possible? Or did anybody tried this before?

Thank you,
rayman

Last edited:

spencer

Enlightened
This is definitely possible. I am planning something similar (except maybe without the aspheric). I will be using this driver for regulated output. The only real problem I faced was I wanted a 2D form factor but the input voltage needed to be three cells worth. I decided on using three C cells with some pipe so they don't rattle. This can be seen here. Good luck.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rizky_p did it. Because of the gap betweeen the dies of the P7, the lens must be defocused somewhat to accomodate the emitter.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't get good results with aspheric with a P7, you are better off with a regular cree if you want throw. It has been tried before.

AlexGT

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is definitely possible. I am planning something similar (except maybe without the aspheric). I will be using this driver for regulated output. The only real problem I faced was I wanted a 2D form factor but the input voltage needed to be three cells worth. I decided on using three C cells with some pipe so they don't rattle. This can be seen here. Good luck.

I think I will buy this battery tray. The advantage is that you can decide how much AAs you want to take. So you can get every voltage from 2,4V up to 7,2V with two of this trays. That's what rizky_p did with his Maglite (Link).

You won't get good results with aspheric with a P7, you are better off with a regular cree if you want throw. It has been tried before.

AlexGT

Yes I think I will buy me first the Q5 dropin and the aspherical lens from KD :eek:. It looks pretty good what rizky_p did.

rayman

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
but isn't 2,8A a little bit too much for AA batteries?

I tried an apsheric however the beam is just a little bit more focused than with the stock reflector.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better get the Q5 Aspherical setup if you want Maximum throw. P7+Aspheric Lens is somewhat useless, but with head adjustment it can be used as a half-flood light and quite usefull to light up something close in front of you..

jag808808

Enlightened
The aspheric P7 I tried was a bit lacking in comparison to Q5. It is kind of cool to see the 4 dies lit up. Here are some beamshots of an aspheric vs P7.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/200709

I will put the aspheric on the P7 tonight and get some white wall shots.

Aloha,

jag

edit: P7 pics of aspheric added

P7aspheric.jpg

Last edited:

GSteg

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2D maglite. The only way I could have done it without going with multiple weird batteries is to run a single 'd-size' li-ion battery with a dummy battery as the spacer. I get 4.10-4.20v from the battery and the board is 'suppose' to be able to draw 2.8A. This is as simple as it gets for me other than direct drive.

I've thought about going with an a spherical lens, but I can't stand the look of it.

JustinS

Newly Enlightened
I have a 2D maglite. The only way I could have done it without going with multiple weird batteries is to run a single 'd-size' li-ion battery with a dummy battery as the spacer. I get 4.10-4.20v from the battery and the board is 'suppose' to be able to draw 2.8A. This is as simple as it gets for me other than direct drive.

I've thought about going with an a spherical lens, but I can't stand the look of it.

I'm installing a P7 with a 2.8 reg driver into my 2D, but still undecided on what batteries to use. How long do you get on the single D Li-ion? I was thinking either 3 C cells with shortened spring or the D Li-ion & spacer, which will give longer/constant runtime?
Also do you have to mod/shorten the std spring with the D Li-ion & spacer battery?
Cheers

GSteg

Newly Enlightened
I'm installing a P7 with a 2.8 reg driver into my 2D, but still undecided on what batteries to use. How long do you get on the single D Li-ion? I was thinking either 3 C cells with shortened spring or the D Li-ion & spacer, which will give longer/constant runtime?
Also do you have to mod/shorten the std spring with the D Li-ion & spacer battery?
Cheers

I think it depends more on what battery you plan on using for the C-size. I've never ran them before so I can't really comment on runtime. I'm still on my single charge of li-ion and i've had it like this for about over a week. I turn on my flashlight at least 5 minutes per day. Not too long, but I'm happy that the brightness is still the same. I'm still getting 4.1-4.2v from the battery with the same amount of current draw. I used the standard spring. You just have to push the tailcap with a bit more effort, but it's doable. I'll probably get a shortened spring later on when I decide to order a few other things.

Overall I'm very happy with my setup. I just dont have any tools to make those fance runtime graphs :p

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast

And what D-size li-ion is the best on? And where can I get such a dummy cell?

rayman

Nos

Enlightened
the best D dummy is a AA to D size adapter, with direct wired contacts inside :p

GSteg

Newly Enlightened
I bought my D-size li-ion from kaidomain for $22 USD. The charge combo was $33 or so?

Here is the dummy cell I bought, except in D-size. It's pretty hard to find the D-size nowadays. I can't remember where I bought mine from!! I have to look through the receipts for the website, but it was the only place I could find with a D-size dummy.

http://www.quality-items-flashlight...y-for-Luxeon-LED-in-4-6-cell-flashlights.html

Al Combs

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice :grin2: and what is about the best D-size li-ion?

rayman

AFAIK, the D Li-Ion from Kaidomain for $22 is the only one. He sells a CC/CV charger for $15 in the same link. On the CPF page he says it's only 62 mm long. On the Kaidomain page he says you can fit 2 in a 2D MagLite with a shorty spring. The Kai page also says its 9.5 cm long which is clearly a mistake. I think they are a little bigger than a regular D cell because of the protection circuit.

Jagge

Newly Enlightened
Cheers

I use KD 8x7135 driver and KD D Li-ion in my P7 headlamp. It runs in regulation for a bit over one hour and after 80-85 minutes it starts to fade so much you can notice it. But it depends on Vf with this board. I haven't used it more than 2 hours countinuously, voltage gets too low at that point.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Maglite 2D today and tried it with the Eneloops and the Eneloop AA-to-D adapter. At first there happened nothing. After opening the light I figured out that there is no contact between the contact-spring and the Eneloops because the Eneloops are too thin. So I had to bend the spring a little bit and now it works just fine.

Here a picture of my first flahlight-'modding' :crackup:
dsc3570ue5.jpg

In my opinion is the Maglite 2D with the Eneloops too light so I'm thinking of buy some D nimhs. Does anybody know the Ansmann Nimh 5000mAh and the Ansmann Basic 5 plus charger?

rayman