Pocket light??? (Not an LED!)

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Looking for a cheap pocket light that is not a LED. Narrowed it down to a Princeton Tec Blast 2AAA, or a Under Water Kinetics Mini Pocket 2AAA. What do you guys think. Which one is tougher, brighter, ect.... Any help you could give me would be great! If anyone could give me a rundown on either of these lights I would really appreciate it! (Please don't recommend a surefire E1 or E2, they sound like great lights, but not in the same price range... I'll keep them on my wish list for another day!)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

KenB... the reason that I am not interested in a LED is because I already have a few. I have a photon II, a princeton tec pulsar and an infinity task light (which is too dim for my liking!) The two keychain LED's that I have are very handy and I like them alot, but I am looking for something with a stronger more focused beam. Has anyone actually compared the blast and the UK pocket 2AAA side by side? I would like to know which one is brighter, tougher case, smaller, ect. If someone had a picture of the two side by side so I could compare sizes, that would be Great!! Who knows, I may just buy both! Thanks for all your help!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have the Princeton Blast
light, but the one that best
"disappeared" in my pocket was the UKE.
There are obviously stronger pocket lites available, but they
just don't feel "small" enough
in your pocket...

My criterion is: does it fit on
my KEYRING comfortably-without
creating anoticeable bulge in my
pocket. (which could be easily mistaken for something else)!
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Videocal...is the UK brighter than the blast or are they about the same? How much smaller, if any is the UK than the blast? You dont happen to have a scanner to you... if so, you could post a pic of them side by side. What other features make you like the UK better than the blast? Based on your recommendations so far, I will probably order the UK! I saw on a website that they now sell them in colors. I may go for the forest Green. Thanks for the info.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
BobS
The reason the UKE is much better for me is because th HEAD
of the UK is much smaller.
-Also, the beam on my little UK
seems to give me a nicer, more
concentrated spot.
Hope this helps...

lightjunkie

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Bob,

This is by no means cheap,
frown.gif
but it's become my pocket flashlight of choice for incandescent flashlights... a SureFire 8X. Yeah, it's a little bulky, but it does fit in my pants pocket (even my jeans!), and you really can't complain about it not giving enough light. With its rechargeable battery stick, you can't even complain about operating costs, either. And since I paid only about $55 after sales tax, I'm pretty darn happy about the purchase price, too!
grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Going and getting flashlights and camera
smile.gif
Before I do I prefer the UKE pen then the UKE side-by-side, then the blast. The blast has such a big reflector it is not as easy to carry. Both of the UKE lights use the same lamp so they are the same as far as that goes. The Blast has a smoother beam of light and is slightly bigger, while the UKE lights have a tighter beam.

blast-uke.jpg

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led/blast-uke.jpg

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say go with the Princeton Tec Blast. I have so much stuff in my pockets I don't notice the extra bulk over the UKE 2AAA Mini-Pocket. But that is an excellent light also. My wish for an ultimate keychain light is the Princeton Tec Rage with all the batteries side by side. It would be about the same length as the Blast but slightly wider.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bob
My STRONG recommendation is 2
get the UK-2AAA. It takes up the
least space on your keyring and
and has -for beam quality (on a 1-10 scale), about an 8.
I have continuously carried it
with me for the last 4 years.
-make sure u get one with the
xenon element,-it's stronger
than the krypton one.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bob, I have one of the UWK`s. It is about 1 1/2 years old now. I have never had to replace the bulb. Every so often I do have to spray it with WD-40 to keep it from flickering (the contacts). It is comfortable in the pocket. The battery changes are not to difficult. Of course if you use it a lot (like I do) you will have to change batteries often. With new batts it is quite bright for a little light. If you don`t mind me asking why are you not interested in led? Wecome aboard.
smile.gif
smile.gif

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I have the Princeton Tec Blast. I dont have the UK light. I have not had the blast long, but I like it. I would say that it is much brighter than a 2AAA minimag. Slightly brigher than a 2AA mag with a standard bulb. The mini mag with a Brinkman bulb is slightly brighter than the blast. The blast is non focusable, kinda wide beam. A little uneven. The construction seems very good. I am sure that it is waterproof to any resonable depth. I have not found a good use for the clip on it. It is only about $10 with batts.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Brock, those pics were EXACTLY what I was looking for! All the pics I had seen before just showed the side view. But looking straight into the lens, you can tell the blast is much wider! It really helped seeing them side by side. Now I just need to find a site that has the UK in forest green for a reasonable price! Thanks for all your help!!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

my non-LED 'keychain' flashlight vote is for the diminutive Pelican Mini MityLite -- only 1 aaa battery; it makes an unimpressive bulge, but it's easier to carry around..
wink.gif

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
Were can I get one at that price Kris?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Y'all weren't paying attention. I told you I was going to Gall's Saturday sale.
smile.gif
Next time I go, I'll try to let everybody know again. If you want me to pick up anything for you, I'll need to know what you want, how much you're willing to spend to get it, what degree of "used-ness" you're willing to accept, and what you might want as a substitute, if exactly what you want isn't there that time.