How useful is the strike bezel?

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
I got a surefire E2D defender today and was wondering how well the strike bezel really works?

If you did strike someone or thing, would it shatter the lens or are they designed to take impact?

I don't plan to smack anyone with it, but was wondering if it's advisable to do so?

thank you,
brett

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea, but I would imagine that in a situation where you are forced to resort to using your flashlight to defend yourself, whether or not the lens survives would be the least of your worries.

Regards,
Tempest

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lens will shatter if impacted with enough force. The bezel is useful in that it serves as an indicator by allowing visible light to escape from the bezel when the light is turned on (by accident, or on purpose) and placed faced down. Use the strike bezel for its intended purpose only when necessary and after consulting with your local laws regarding the use of deadly, or incapacitating force.

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
very wise answer. I do not plan to ever use it, but who ever really does??

I imagine using a light for self-defense would be more legally advisable than using a knife or gun.

anyway, thanks for your answers guys.

brett
I have no idea, but I would imagine that in a situation where you are forced to resort to using your flashlight to defend yourself, whether or not the lens survives would be the least of your worries.

Regards,
Tempest

Illum

Flashaholic
its very efficient at tearing pant pockets if you EDC it regularly
its can chip its own paint very easily even with normal use
it scares people [especially my boss] in some places
the domed Pyrex is one of most durable windows I have seen for any flashlight, because of its domed nature the strike bezel is used to keep the flashlight from tipping over if stored face down.

If you have any doubts on the pyrex glass, read this:)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2323074&postcount=1

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
thanks for that. I can definitely see how it could tear pockets, etc.

Brett
its very efficient at tearing pant pockets if you EDC it regularly
its can chip its own paint very easily even with normal use
it scares people [especially my boss] in some places
the domed Pyrex is one of most durable windows I have seen for any flashlight, because of its domed nature the strike bezel is used to keep the flashlight from tipping over if stored face down.

If you have any doubts on the pyrex glass, read this:)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2323074&postcount=1

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
One of my friend are a security guard at pubs etc. He always carry a SF M3 at work and he told me that the teeth on the bezel are nice for pushing away people when they get to close to you. Just put the teeth of the bezel in the chest on the person and push, it usually hurts enough to get the person to understand he/she shouldnt get so close.
So you dont always have to swing your light with great force to get use for the teeth.

My personal feeling about the teeth are that they might be good for personal defense use, and for rescue use like smashing windows. For regular light use or EDC I think im better of with a lightly crenelated bezel or a regular bezel that dont tear up your pockets. And since Im usually always carry a leatherman that I think should work nicely smashing windows i dont need a light to smash a window...But as we say in Sweden "the taste is like the but...devided...(meaning the cheeks)" :D

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
The main weapons use for sharpened bezels in untrained hands is to allow people with weapons fantasies to brag about them in bars and on the Internet.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a light with a strike bezel once, but I've since filed the head down flat.

Never let it be said that I carry any sort of weapon. And my pockets thank me.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main weapons use for sharpened bezels in untrained hands is to allow people with weapons fantasies to brag about them in bars and on the Internet.

Sadly I think there's a lot of truth here. In the right hands, most flashlights can be used effectively as "strike tools" or what have you. I'm slightly concerned that one mall ninja with a pointy light will make all of us look bad, but that's just because I come from a knife collecting background and we have to deal with irresponsible people too frequently.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1.

besides strikes which may get one in hot water with the LAW (it may after all be considered to be a weapon), a use, in trained hands, for a light w/a strike bezel is in control of an opponent.

there are several joint locking and control techniques which can be employed with the strike bezel to either take an opponent down (Nikkajo/Nikajo, as it is termed in Daito-ryu Aiki-jutsu, aka Nikkyo/Nikyo, in other schools, being one of the simpler examples of such), or to control one that has already been placed on the ground. of course, these techniques, plus others, are also performed with something like a kubotan.

like all weapons, when used by an untrained individual, they may find a superior opponent may disarm them and then use the weapon on them. bummer, for the untrained "good guy".

Last edited:

DieselTech

Enlightened
I've EDC'd my E2D every day for about two and a half years. Always in a pocket, in everything from jeans to those light uniform pants. I've yet to have any pockets damaged.

As for the strike bezel, it's great for nicking up hardwood or even concrete floors, depending on how hard the light is dropped. Between the strike bezel and tailcap, it also makes the light about 3/8 on an inch longer than a normal E2E, I think. Don't quote me on the measurement, but it's somewhere close to that.

I wouldn't buy the light or carry it just because it's pointy. In my opinion, I doubt that in the average person's hand, a couple of points on a light will make much of a difference in a life or death situation.

SilentK

Enlightened
ha, look at NA8's post count! {1,337} i have heard it works fairly well as a last resort. just one rule that you must follow. NEVER take on someone with your light unless you have better means of defending yourself than just a flashlight. so dont take on a dude with a knife when all you have is a flashlight.

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
wow, I think there are definitely some strong opinions on the subject here. Like I said, I have no intention of EVER striking anyone with my flashlight. I was mainly interested to see what kind of real application it has and if the actual apparatus is strong enough to be used to strike something. Not asking for techniques or mall ninja trolling. I've collected and carried knives for most of my life and so understand the nuances of EDC'ing a weapon.

Anyway, seems like I opened a can of worms here. Sorry.

brett

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I read on another thread that the pointy bezel as impact weapon is a pure mall ninja invention. The original purpose of the pointy bezel was so you could push it up against a suspect to keep him from moving while you patted him down or handcuffed him. The points on the bezel were not to poke the person, they were just to catch on the person's clothes so that the bezel would not slide under pressure. The light was not supposed to be a weapon at all. That's what your baton and/or firearm are for.

Aluminous

Enlightened
I was mainly interested to see what kind of real application it has and if the actual apparatus is strong enough to be used to strike something.

FWIW, I have seen people say that Surefire does repair/replace SF flashlights if damaged in 'strike bezel' usage, so they are pretty confident in it being strong enough. :)

astrogrub

Newly Enlightened
I got a surefire E2D defender today and was wondering how well the strike bezel really works?

I like 'em a lot and have 'em on all my lights where its also an aftermarket option. Don't know how well they work on people but they work really well for itchy insect bites.