• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Don: Thank you for making the McLux PD

carrot

Flashaholic
I posted this elsewhere, but I thought it deserved to be here. So I brought it here and felt I aught to expand on it.

The best flashlight ever made is the McLux PD. My own sample of this gem of a light is a "blemished McLuxIII PD-S mizer" as you called it to me when I ordered it a few years ago. I told you there was no way I could afford the Ti version that you offered to me at that time. I wish I'd found the money for both. But I settled on the natural hard anodize PD and when it ended its long journey from Hawaii to me it was slipped into my pocket, and from that day since I have not been without it. There's nothing I would ever trade it for except maybe another one of the same. This is a very special and high-end light and at the same time it is not cutting-edge or jaw-dropping or even 100% perfect.

What it is, is a light that offers beam quality, reliability and usability above all else and to me that stands out as something special. It is not the most featureful, nor does it need to be. It is not the brightest, nor does it need to be. It is not the smallest, coolest, most efficient, most perfectly engineered light on the market, and again, it doesn't need to be. What it is, however, is the best offer of compromises (and yes, all flashlights are compromises of sorts) ever to be offered on CPF. This is a superb light that offers the bare minimum of features (only two stages!) to maintain the most simplicity and ease of use, and has been my faithful companion for over two years seeing me through whatever I should choose to tackle, be it a dark forest or underground tunnels.

A friend asked me what I see in this light, and I told him this, and he understood what I meant after thinking it through. It's not about being the best at any one thing. It's impossible to stay the best at any one thing. But to offer the best of compromises, that's something difficult to beat.

I paid $300 for it but I consider it priceless. They are no sadly longer made, rarely sold, and very difficult to come by.

Here's to you, McLux, the best flashlight ever made.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrot, I agree 100%

I cant get enough of my PD. Its a light that begs to be used. It feels fantastic in the hand, you cant stop playing with it. Ive gone through a few PD's, Had to sell because I needed money... big mistake. I always end up searching them out and they are getting harder and harder to find. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one (Thanks G-2!), a Natural PD-S and its the best light I have ever used. This one is not going anywhere. I wont make that mistake again.

If you have a PD, KEEP IT, you will regret selling it the moment you give it to your mailman. Do not let it sit.. Use it.

I was recently able to snag another PD (slate/Ti/Trit/Lux3)
off ebay for $249! Thanks for the heads up to a CPF member looking out for me:wave:

If I had to get rid of all my lights and keep one, I would stick with the PD. (well, both of em)

The Aluminum PD's are a gem. Selfishly I like how rare they are.

-Bobby

Last edited:

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys...

I agree that the McLux III PD-S is one of the nicest lights ever made. I`m fortunate to have *several* nice lights, but one of them that has always been carried by me every day and used often is a Ti McLux III PD-S.

At some point, Don, please consider doing some more of them. (Just a thought!)

BTW...just WHO is this "Don" guy, anyway? :thinking: :D

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bobby, that PD was from Canada right? saw that too, good find indeed!

Mayo

Yes from up north, I was surprised how long it sat before I snagged it. It was shipped out yesterday so it should get it soon. You never see them for sale.
-Bobby

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree. I carry mine whenever I can and I love the look, feel, function and performance of the light. It is my favorite of all of Don's lights and I am so glad that I got ahold of another one after I lost mine last Thanksgiving.

I am thinking hard about trying to pick up a Ti PD-S mizer as I only have the standard drive level on my current one.

I have a nightstand full of nice lights and I only use 3 of them... one of the 3 is the Ti PD-S.

SIMPLY WONDERFUL!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also really like the pd. That said Many of the subsequent versions are also really cool lights.

Funny thing about the Aluminum Pd's. I could be wrong on this but I have a feeling that there are more of these out there than just about any McGizmo flashlight.
It may be due to it's true classic nature, but the PD keeps it off the BST forums in anything but a light showing in that forum most of the time. People like them and use them. I would hope so since it really is a wonderful work flashlight.
My new PD a Lunasol 20 gives me the same feeling that my first aluminum PD gave me. Yet another instant classic.

I think what I like most about the PD are it's offspring.

Yaesumofo

Carrot, I agree 100%

I cant get enough of my PD. Its a light that begs to be used. It feels fantastic in the hand, you cant stop playing with it. Ive gone through a few Pd's, Had to sell because I needed money... big mistake. I always end up searching them out and they are getting harder and harder to find. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one (Thanks G-2!), a Natural PD-S and its the best light I have ever used. This one is not going anywhere. I wont make that mistake again.

If you have a PD, KEEP IT, you will regret selling it the moment you give it to your mailman. Do not let it sit.. Use it.

I was recently able to snag another PD (slate/Ti/Tritt/Lux3)
off eBay for $249! Thanks for the heads up to a CPF member looking out for me:wave:

If I had to get rid of all my lights and keep one, I would stick with the PD. (well, both of em)

The Aluminum Pd's are a gem. Selfishly I like how rare they are.

-Bobby

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree. My PD is still my most carried light and certainly my favourite in terms of function, feel and looks. Cheers Don!

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just have one PD as well, and the only thing that keeps me from carrying it every time is that it would be too tough to replace. Mine is a prototype of the XR19 version, but i've seen a few other variations and feel pretty confident that they are ALL just that good.

Great concept, incredible execution.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Carrot and you others,
Thank you. :bow:

Obviously without the support and indeed existence of CPF and its members, these lights simply would not exist. Without Wayne Y's participation in the realm of custom converters, these lights would not exist. You and he gave me a chance to play and for that, the thanks and gratitude goes to you, not me.

EDIT: Carpe, :shrug:

:nana:

Latest posts