New daily commuter bike

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Another project that got completely out of hand :D

It started with me planning to do a rebuild of my old Giant Pacer

pacer.jpg

not my pacer, but very similar except mine had a flatbar.

I built my wife a mountainbike a while ago, but she never rode it, so I decided to turn it into a cheap source of parts for my rebuild. Only thing I needed to buy new was a set of wheels, so they were ordered from one of my favorite online shops and I started working.
First stripped my wife's bike, then got to work on the Pacer. I wanted to strip it completely to give the frame a new coat of paint, but then I ran into a little problem. The stem was stuck in the steerertube. As the new wheels were already ordered, I decided to just try the brute force approach, thinking the worst possible thing that could happen was the rusty old frontwheel breaking or bending... Wrong!
I applied some force (ok, quite a lot) but instead of the stem coming loose or the wheel getting busted, the front fork twisted up :banghead:
So, off to the interweb again to find a suitable replacement. I can tell you, it's pretty hard to find an affordable steel roadbike fork with a 1" threaded steerer tube. Actually, it seemed pretty much impossible, so I decided to go for aluminium instead. I found one for 75 euro shipped, but as I was supposed to do this whole rebuild on a small budget, I looked at the 2nd hand sites too, and then I found it... A fork, perfect for my project and it came with a frame too, and it was only 'a little more expensive' than the fork :whistle:

So, here's the final result of my little project:
PICT0208-1.jpg

Some specs:
- Cube SL Road frame
- Aileron X Carbon fork
- Specialized Flatbar
- BBB Highrise Stem
- BBB Seatpost
- Royal Viper Seat
- Continental Zeta tires
- Xtreme SARI T-19 R rims
- Shimano Deore hubs
- Shimano Deore front Derailleur
- Shimano Acera rear Derailleur
- Shimano Alivio Shifter/brake handle combos
- Specialized Son of Strongarm crankset
- Avid Single Digit 3 V-Brakes

Rode it to work for the first time today... this is one sweet riding bike... :clap:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats pretty sweet. i have learned a little bit from my mom being into road bikes. hope it rides well!!!

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
And it rides as sweet as it looks... just doing some tweaking to find themost comfy position on it, so I changed the saddle to the old more anatomic shaped one I had on my mountainbike and changed the handlebars to a narrow riserbar. Still not entirely happy tho, so more tweaking to do before the next ride...

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just got some of these great city tires with kevlar because i have had to replace 4 tires in a month.
Serfas Drifter City Tire
serfas_drifter_04_m.jpg

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 other bikes too, A 1999 Specialized Rockhopper (with a bunch of nice upgrades) and A Challenge Hurricane Sport USS recumbent.

In the future, the Hurri will become the daily driver, the Cube will become the weapon of choice for touring with my wife and those quick runs around town and the Specialized will keep it's current role... fun off the beaten path :)

Oh and for those interested, next month 'Coops Flashaholic BBQ & Nightride' will be held. PM me if you want to come :)