Fenix L1D or Fenix L1T or?

BEACON9

Newly Enlightened
Recenlty joined this wonderful forum after searching high and low for a flashlight... Have diligently read quite a few posts here before seeking your help.

My question to you, if I may get your advice/help on it is; I am looking for a general purpose flashlight. Think I have narrowed it down to two, a) Fenix L1T or b) Fenix L0D. However, I am open to suggestions. Budget is set at under $50USD.

Amongst those two, the Fenix L0D or Fenix L1T - which is recommended?

Criteria is, a decent battery life, fairly bright output. Size is not a concern, as long as its pocketable. Kindly give your input on it please, or if you think there is another better light out there under $50, pls leave your suggestions in here.

Regards,
-Beacon9.

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
Re: Fenix L0D or Fenix L1T or?

Just how close to $50 are you willing to come? Fenix store has the L2D for $50.08 and the L1D for $49.20. With the coupon code (CPF8), it's a bargain for $46.07. The fenix L1D with the coupon code is $45.26.

paulr

Flashaholic

Make sure to get some rechargeable or lithium batteries for either of those lights. Alkalines will poop out very fast because of the power levels involved.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Either one would be fine, along with the L1D. Usually people focus on the different features of the three and pick out the one that appeals to them for their usage e.g. twist switch, tactical switch, reverse clicky, AAA vs AA size. Simple user interface or more involved. Of the three I'm missing the LOD because the twisty switching isn't my favorite. Will probably get one eventually though as it's a sweet little flashlight.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the LF2X and L0D, both AAA lights. While I love them, I stick with AA lights for EDC, because the AA batteries have so much more juice.

I recommend the NiteCore D10, it's just a bit bigger than the AAA lights, but very dainty for an AA light. It is super bright and works with nimh or Li-ons. And it's close to $50.

I would recommend the L1T or L1D but the D10 is my favorite after several days of use / playing with.

Etienne1980

Newly Enlightened

I own both but I use the L1T Q2 only. Why ? Because the LOD :

-has a twisty. The o-ring gets dry quickly and collect dirt due to the twist.
-I've found several times the head apart of the body in my pocket.
-Do not like the tap dance to switch tru the light levels.

-My LOD is here to drain my Ni-Mh AAA batts prior to recharge them. (Sounds crazy ?)

-The good old Arc AAA-P is my keychain light.

-My advice : get the L1T as a tool light AND the E01 as your keychain light.

Just my 2 cents.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the true spirit of CPF, stretch your budget get both. The L1T is a superior tool. Easy interface - comes on in low and a quick twist of the bezel brings a bunch of light when needed.

The E0D is a lot of light in a small pack, but has a more "complicated" interface and the useless (to me) and annoying strobe and sos feature.

E0D is my edc pocket light and a L1/2T is pretty much my everyday tool light.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I own both but I use the L1T Q2 only. Why ? Because the LOD :

-has a twisty. The o-ring gets dry quickly and collect dirt due to the twist.
-I've found several times the head apart of the body in my pocket.
-Do not like the tap dance to switch tru the light levels.

-My LOD is here to drain my Ni-Mh AAA batts prior to recharge them. (Sounds crazy ?)

-The good old Arc AAA-P is my keychain light.

-My advice : get the L1T as a tool light AND the E01 as your keychain light.

Just my 2 cents.

I have both also and I prefer to carry the L1T V2 Rebel in a holster than my LODCE for the same reasons. Actually both are not seeing much use since I got the Nifty Nitecore D10.:naughty:

The L1T V2 does have a nice forward clickie.

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened

I would consider both of the lights you mentioned a little small for a "general purpose" flashlight, more of an EDC. Take a look at the Fenix L2D.

kts

Enlightened

I got a LOD with my keys, and a P2D Q5 in my pocket when I need more light, a cr123 will last me more than 2 months.

I did consider the L1D Q5, but why not get the smaller light with more power, L2D is too big for pocket carry IMO.

BEACON9

Newly Enlightened
Nitcore D10, Fenix L1T, Fendix L1D, or?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to give your advice. I am very grateful.

So the general consensus is to stay away from L0D.

I have looked at the suggestions given, and have tried to compare them. Darn it... this is a verrrrrrry confusing job; picking up a decent flashlight. I am glad I have you experts to check in with, as I am getting pretty overwhelmed.

Now we have the Nitcore D10, the Fenix L1T, Fenix L1D... argggh. :shakehead

Amongst those, whats your opinion? I will pick E01 for keychain use, and one of the above for daily general purpose light capable of producing higher lumens.

Kindly chime in. I have left this decision making in your hands.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Again, the L1T. Simple and more than adequate output.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitcore D10, Fenix L1T, Fendix L1D, or?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to give your advice. I am very grateful.

So the general consensus is to stay away from L0D.

I have looked at the suggestions given, and have tried to compare them. Darn it... this is a verrrrrrry confusing job; picking up a decent flashlight. I am glad I have you experts to check in with, as I am getting pretty overwhelmed.

Now we have the Nitcore D10, the Fenix L1T, Fenix L1D... argggh. :shakehead

Amongst those, whats your opinion? I will pick E01 for keychain use, and one of the above for daily general purpose light capable of producing higher lumens.

Kindly chime in. I have left this decision making in your hands.

I would not say stay away from the LODCE, it is a great light, I just personally prefer to carry a AA light on my belt in a holster, but I would rather carry the LODCE in my pocket.

I think the Nitecore D10 and Fenix E01 would be a good combination.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

Everything in life is a compromise. For me, the L0D CE is the best combination of small size and features. Get the AA sized light only if you need the greater runtime - it's longer and thicker than the AAA light so it's a burden in the pocket whereas the L0D CE disappears on your key chain.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitcore D10, Fenix L1T, Fendix L1D, or?

+1 on E01 and ND10. You'll also be very happy with E01 and L1D as well.

No wrong decisions here. You're choosing among very well built and thought out lights.

It's hard because you can analyze this to death, but just go ahead and order. You'll be happy, trust me.

BEACON9

Newly Enlightened
L1T or L1D?

Alrrrrrrriiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhhht.

This is madness...

I am pulling the trigger with E01, and either L1D or L1T.

Now, good people... for the last time, let me bother you again, please... :)

FENIX L1D or FENIX L1T? For the life of me, can't discern difference for good or bad.
Time permitting, kindly leave your feedback/advice.

Thanks.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: L1T or L1D?

Alrrrrrrriiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhhht.

This is madness...

I am pulling the trigger with E01, and either L1D or L1T.

Now, good people... for the last time, let me bother you again, please... :)

FENIX L1D or FENIX L1T? For the life of me, can't discern difference for good or bad.
Time permitting, kindly leave your feedback/advice.

Thanks.
I vote for the L1T V2, it has a nice forward clickie.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Between the L1T or L1D, I vote for the L1D. I have other lights with momentary, and honestly, I just don't "Momentarily click on" all that much. The L1D will give you low, and you can ramp up to med / high within micro-seconds with a simple tap. It's idiot-proof to get roughly the lumens you want.

My take = L1D. But I am sure if you get the L1T you'll be happy as well.

No wrong choices here.

PS, the Fenix clickies are some of the best clickies out there. But after using the ND10, I find myself not preferring the Fenix clickies after a while. The ND10 has spoiled me. But don't think about that if you've ruled out the ND10. :wave:

carrot

Flashaholic

The D series Fenixes are more flexible, but the T series Fenixes are a little simpler in operation and to many this is what makes them more attractive.

I myself use a L2D-CE on my mountain bike as a headlight but I have to be careful to use only NiMH as the battery rattle with alkaline can cause the L2D to switch into the next mode, which is usually strobe and the worst thing to have when riding downhill on a rocky path at night. But for nomal users this is less of a concern and the point I am making here is that the L*D series is a little more complicated and may require a little more fiddling but there are a lot of users who find the extra features rewarding or useful-- I like the strobe occasionally because I can use it to get wayward drivers' attention, so the L2D is what I use.

But Nitecore fever has been spreading across CPF lately and I would be seriously remiss in not telling you how nice of a light it is. I have the EX10 and not the D10 but by all means they are the same light in different form factors (CR123 battery vs. AA battery) and I have to say this is the best light under $100 that I have seen for a long time. I have been buying Fenixes and thinking wow, that's nice, and then putting them aside for various dedicated uses (as illustrated by my bike example) but the Nitecore Smart PD's are something truly special and I have kept mine in my pocket since I got it. The best way to describe it is a single stage light (unlike the Fenixes, which are multi-) with adjustable brightness and remembers how bright it was when you turn it off. It is extremely simple in operation, theoretically very reliable (it is based on a proven design by a custom maker), and the build quality is absolutely superb, above and beyond Fenix's at the same price point. Fenix was CPF's favorite baby for awhile, just as Surefire was (and to an extent, still is), but with this new light I predict Nitecore is going to take the candy from Fenix.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

...But Nitecore fever has been spreading across CPF lately and I would be seriously remiss in not telling you how nice of a light it is. I have the EX10 and not the D10 but by all means they are the same light in different form factors (CR123 battery vs. AA battery) and I have to say this is the best light under $100 that I have seen for a long time. I have been buying Fenixes and thinking wow, that's nice, and then putting them aside for various dedicated uses (as illustrated by my bike example) but the Nitecore Smart PD's are something truly special and I have kept mine in my pocket since I got it. The best way to describe it is a single stage light (unlike the Fenixes, which are multi-) with adjustable brightness and remembers how bright it was when you turn it off. It is extremely simple in operation, theoretically very reliable (it is based on a proven design by a custom maker), and the build quality is absolutely superb, above and beyond Fenix's at the same price point. Fenix was CPF's favorite baby for awhile, just as Surefire was (and to an extent, still is), but with this new light I predict Nitecore is going to take the candy from Fenix.
LOL carrot, I agree with you 100%. I still love my Fenix lights, don't take me wrong, but like you, I am blown away by how much I prefer to use the ND10.

Two long time Fenix users now preferring the NiteCore lights, amongst several other flashaholics I've read here - definitely not a fluke. I'm excited though to see how Fenix responds. They won't be sitting idle while NiteCore storms the market with these fantastic lights, that's for sure. :whistle: