Best Pocket/Compact LED for me?

LightLearner

Newly Enlightened
I work as a Park Ranger for a very large facility so at night it's nice to have a flashlight with me in case I need to use it. I find, however, that for most of my duties, I don't need to carry a full-sized one everywhere at night as it just gets in the way. So size is important to me. I'm really just looking for a sturdy, bright, pocket-sized light with good battery life. It doesn't necessarily have to be "tactical."

People have recommended the INOVA X5 to me but I'm hesitant to buy it because I have no experience with this 123 camera battery it uses. I've heard these are expensive in stores and are better to be bought online. But I'm not really interested in searching for off-the-wall batteries from shady sellers I've never bought from either. Plus, shipping prices may make them not-so-cheap.

So I'm asking you guys because you know way more about these lights than me. First, can I expect the battery life to last for a decent amount of time? Are 123 batteries practical for me to be often? The people who recommended this light to me work in law enforcement and don't have to buy their own batteries. I do, so it's a bit different for me. Is there a good pocket-sized one that uses rechargeables? What's the best compact light that uses alkalines? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:Last month I was looking for a light for camping that would run on AA Eneloops (rechargables that hold their charge for a long time) or lithium AA's, and got a lot of good advice here. I wound up getting the Fenix L2D 2xAA flashlight and also the L1D 1xAA body for using it as a pocket light. I am very happy with it, well-made, amazing amount of light on turbo, nice low beam, easy to use. And you get the CPF discount at the Fenix store. But there are lots of great lights out there, I also got the LF2X 1xAAA light for EDC and the Zebralight 1xAA for a headlamp. And now the Nitecore D10 is calling. :whistle:

You don't say how much you'd like to spend, that will be a factor.

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
cr123's aren't bad, especially if you get some rechargeables, but I think for you, you might be better off sticking with a more standard size such as AA or AAA. Check out Fenix's full line, they are all great lights. If you would like something cheaper, also check the budget thread.

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
By the way, from what I can tell, alkalines are the worst battery to use as far as light output and life of the battery.

UWAK

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF:) How about Nitecore Defender Infinity? It's a AA size torch.

yekim

Enlightened
The X5 is bulletproof and durable. It runs a long time and is simple to use. BAtteries can be bought cheap and there are many online retailers who carry it that have exemplary reputations. It just does not put out alot of light, but that may not be what you need.

How much light do you need? The L1D is highly recommended and hard to beat. I have the 2 cell version. Lots of light, multi level, and easy to use.

Then there is the NiteCore D10 that just came out that seems to be a real winner. Both are available from Fenix-store.com, a business that has an impeccable reputation.

Both those lights are in the $50 range or so and run on AA's.

LightLearner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I'll check into these lights. As for how much light I'll need. I don't know how to put it into writing but right now I'm using this light which is an Emissive Energy light like the INOVA. I'm assuming all of the lights you guys mentioned have a higher output than this one? Thanks for all the info!

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
For pocket carry I would go for the Fenix L1D CE Premium Q5. Much more powerful than what you are using and only 1 AA battery. You won't be sorry you got this one.
:welcome:

AlexLED

Enlightened
For pocket carry I would go for the Fenix L1D CE Premium Q5. Much more powerful than what you are using and only 1 AA battery. You won't be sorry you got this one.

Fully agree !

The Nitecore lights are a bit more versatile (user programmable level) but a bit more expensive.

Personally, I don't like those 123 Batteries at all. I don't have a single device using that kind of batteries and am quite hestitant to invest in those batteries. I have many devices, though, using AA (and AAA) batteries, so I really appreciate using those batteries for my flashlights as well.

If you don't have already, get some brand name recharable Ni-MH AA Batteries (preferably Eneloop with low-self-discharge) and a decent charger, and you will always have light, no further investments and be happy ever after.
:)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Todays high powered lights do not work well on alkalines.

Here is the Chevrofreak's runtime graphs of the L0D (AAA):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/152223
L0D high on alkalines 18 minutes,
L0D high on NiMH 58 minutes.

Here is the Chevrofreak's runtime graphs of the L1D (AA):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198193
L1D high on alkalines 34 minutes,
L1D high on NiMH 1 hour 56 minutes.

As you can see NiMH last 4X as long as alkalines. And 18 minutes, even 34 minutes is kinda short.

I suggest you get some low self discharge NiMH batteries and charger.
Batteries:
Eneloop, Duracell Pre-charged, RayOvac Hybrids.
Charger:
Make sure the charger can charge 1, 2, 3 or 4 cells. Most of the cheap ones can only charge 2 or 4.

-----

A word of warning. Most CPF members like to play with their lights so get lights that are complicated or can be adjusted to their hearts content. You probably need something simpler than most suggestions.

So instead of say the L1D Q5 you can get the simpler L1T v2.0 (1AA 4") or L2T v2.0 (2AA 6"). All 3 come with holsters so you can belt carry them instead of loading down your pockets.

L1T/L2T v2.0:
Tighten bezel:
Click on, click off - high, good for outdoors/big rooms
Loosen bezel:
Click on, click off - low, good for small rooms

L1D/L2D CE or Q5
Tighten bezel:
Click on - turbo, good for outdoors/big rooms,
Click, click or soft press - strobe,
Click off.
Loosen bezel:
Click on - low, good for close in work,
Click, click or soft press - medium, good for small rooms,
Click, click or soft press - high, good for outdoors/big rooms,
Click, click or soft press - SOS
Click off
In the 1AA lights turbo and high are roughly the same brightness. In the 2AA lights turbo is brighter than high.

The L1D comes in 2 flavours: CE which are older production models with unspecified LEDs Can be P3, P4, Q2 (often on sale now), Q4; Q5 with the latest LED.
The L1T comes in RB80 or Q2 LED versions. The Q2 is ~10% less bright than the Q5 but as the eye sees light logarithmically anything less than 50% is insignificant in actual use.

-----

Some links:
https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_50
https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_71
https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_65
8% discount code for CPF members CPF8

If you live outside the USA yell! We may be able to find a store nearer to you.

LightLearner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcomes. Alright I've looked into most of the lights you guys mentioned and how do you think this would work:

Flashlight: Fenix L2T v2.0 Q2

Batteries: GE/SANYO Eneloop AA NiMH Pre-charged

Charger: Rayovac Universal Battery Charger for AA, AAA, C, D, and 9-volt batteries or Sony's Quick Battery Charger... This one is disputable because I can't seem to find a charger that doesn't have bad reviews.

alibaba

Enlightened
Thanks for the welcomes. Alright I've looked into most of the lights you guys mentioned and how do you think this would work:

Charger: Rayovac Universal Battery Charger for AA, AAA, C, D, and 9-volt batteries or Sony's Quick Battery Charger... This one is disputable because I can't seem to find a charger that doesn't have bad reviews.

If that size light works for you I think that's a solid choice. There is also the 1-AA L1T version that has the same level low but a dimmer/shorter running high (although compared to what you're using it is a whole 'nother level). The nice thing about these is that, aside from being really simple, the low level is just right for the majority of uses and you still have the "spotlight in the palkm of my hand" high level if you need it. I say go for it! Either of the LxT's will serve you well!

eng_driver

Newly Enlightened
I have a L1D/L2D Q5 with eneloops and it's great.

As for the charger, you might want to check out this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/70935

I've been using the Maha C-401FS for several years and it works well. I just don't use the "fast charge" because it heats up the batteries a little too much.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe the Eneloops need a Eneloop charger. When I last checked, Amazon had them on sale. If you don't need the slow discharge (i.e., lose charge very slowly when not in use) of the Eneloops, the other Sanyo and Sonys are supposed to be very good.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore lights are a bit more versatile (user programmable level) but a bit more expensive.

Personally, I don't like those 123 Batteries at all. :)

I'm not sure if the comment about the 123 batteries is tied to your thoughts on the NiteCore flashlights, but the NiteCore D10 runs on a single AA battery. The NiteCore EX10 runs on a CR123A battery.

Price-wise, I got the D10 for $54 after the Fenix-Store/CPF discount. For that price, I think it offers a lot of bang for the buck. ;)

loanshark

Enlightened
eneloops are nimh and can use any nimh charger, however they will last longer if you get one of the smart/hobby chargers....

By the way, I have a L1D Q5, and a nitecore D10 and they both are excellent choices and run very well on eneloops...

eng_driver

Newly Enlightened
I believe the Eneloops need a Eneloop charger. When I last checked, Amazon had them on sale. If you don't need the slow discharge (i.e., lose charge very slowly when not in use) of the Eneloops, the other Sanyo and Sonys are supposed to be very good.

That is not correct. Eneloop cells (and other LSD) are NiMH and can be charged in any NiMH charger.