Holding the SF L1 Cree

tsl

Enlightened
I recently bought the L1 Cree. Really like the light and that fantastic 2 stage tailcap.

The only issue I'm having is that part of my palm blocks the lower area of the spillbeam when I cup the light and use my thumb and first finger to twist the tailcap. This isn't an issue on my A2 because the A2 is long enough for the bezel to clear my palm.

Anyone have the same issue? Anyone have a grip that enables the light to be firmly held and tailcap twisted without one's palm getting in the way? I don't have the issue in momentary, only when twisting the tailcap for constant on.

I think I can now see why the Backup (smaller than the L1) is a clicky.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Is it really a big deal for you?
The L1 is my EDC and I get what I assume is a similar obstruction into the edge of the beam when I shift my grip so I can rotate the TailCap. I've never noticed it before and will likely never notice it in use.

tsl

Enlightened
Is it really a big deal for you?

It's really not a big deal to me. I had noticed it and thought I'd ask the question. Maybe others had a better way of holding the light, and I would have never known if I hadn't asked.

Thanks for answering though.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Usually after I tighten the tailcap, I move my hand back to a position that isn't blocking the light. :whistle:
I do the same

It's really not a big deal to me. I had noticed it and thought I'd ask the question. Maybe others had a better way of holding the light, and I would have never known if I hadn't asked.

Thanks for answering though.
Nothing wrong with asking.
I don't think there is a better way of holding the L1 but this will be the best place online to discover another method if there is one!

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I have a L1 Cree and it ended up replacing my E1E. Mainly for the reasons we are talking about, the E1E was too small for comfort with my hands.

I hold mine in a similar grip to you gents from your descriptions. I don't need to shift my grip to turn the tailcap and do not have the problem you mention. I don't have small hands.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was about to ask you what kinda basketball massive hands you had...until i tried it...lol, the L1 IS tiny....

Crenshaw

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually hold my smaller lights with my pinky finger underneath (sometimes both pinky and ring finger).

tsl

Enlightened
i was about to ask you what kinda basketball massive hands you had...until i tried it...lol, the L1 IS tiny....

Crenshaw

I'm 5' 10" and I'd say that my hands are average-sized. The L1 is tiny ... that and the tailcap knurling is further away from the end of the tailcap.