The world is coming to an end next year.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom buys WWN, and I was flipping through it last night. It seems that the world is coming to an end next year. I know you've heard it before, but this time it's from a credible source, A talking carp. They had the transcription of the interview word for word. The carp's name is Paul, and he was reincarnated as a fish because he was religious in his last life. Paul clearly says that the world will end next year, and it must be true if it's in print, right? I know it sounds cheesy, but if you were god, wouldn't you send people messages in ways they're most likely to believe, like fish that speak?

fc588fae.jpg

So, should I get a job with Weekly World News?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, there are times I wish I had started a WWN subscription years ago so that I could keep track of how often the world was coming to an end... Someone on the web must be tracking how many close calls we've had /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm off to google them...

And they also help you keep up with Bat Boy and Lobster Boy too.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i heard about that...

i guess since it's for real this time, i will be giving away all my flashlights and other items that will be here after i leave...pagans, please email me so i can send you my lights because you will need them and i won't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a pagan, I'll take everything.

Yes, batboy, he must be a batman by now.

I have seen some tracking of predictions at: http://www.skepdic.com/
I looked up the name of the prognosticator in the list, and there were some failed predictions there. (I looked up gordon michael scallion, Bwa ha ha!)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Back in the mid 1970s, the National Enquirer was the place to go to get whacky world predictions, pictures of lobster children, thermonuclear explosions on Saturn's or Uranus's moons, and all sorts of outrageous horse puckey like that.

But the last time I really read it in the mid 1980s, they ditched most of the wild stories and went to how this or that movie star struggled with sleeping pills & alcoholism and other garbage like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I remember the Enquirer as well. I wonder if their business is good because people like the entertainment, or do people really believe that stuff?
My dad believes that WWF is real, and that surprises me, because otherwise, he's a rational person. So I say, "There's never a bloody nose, or a bruise, it's scripted.", and he says "They're trained professionals, they learn how to take a punch.".
Well, I want to learn how to take a punch like that, hell, I'd be bulletproof.

[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
Someone on the web must be tracking how many close calls we've had /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm off to google them...

[/ QUOTE ]
If you find a good website, will you post it here?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shankus, of course I will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The best I found so far is here:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrld.htm

With "7 dozen" predictions with their dates long past, well, since 1990, so no ancient stuff. and then a whole list of more yet to come. fun stuff. Unless you're upset by people like Jerry Fallwell claiming that the Anti-Christ is alive, living amoungst us right now and is a Jew...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Man I love the entertainment value of the WWN. I've been meaning to send subscriptions of that out for gifts for sometime now, but can never bring myself to do it! I pick up a copy now and then for a chuckle. I always expect a strange look from the cashier, but they "act" normal. Guess when I'm walking away, they're probably thinking, "There goes another scary one"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
I've heard of the Enquirer, The Sun, The Examiner,and the Globe, but excuse me as I crawl
from under the rock where apparently, I live and ask the question: What is WWN?
I haven't seen that one at my local Vons or Ralphs! Do you have to seek it out at such
places as B&N or Borders? You've all got my curiousity going, not that I subscribe to any
of that stuff. In fact, I subscribe mags like "The Skeptical Enquirer" and other types
of DEBUNKING FALSE CLAIMS types of pubs. Just like Sigman stated above, these
are sheer entertainment to me and 99.999999998% of what is contained therein
is purely nonsense. With the exception of the green UFO babies.
Those are definitely real. I've seen them in my crop circles
...after a pint of JD and a dube!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ed.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The weekly world news hardly needs debunking. I think they have a great sense of humor, although it may be that they don't know that they do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Standard course in college was anybody with a cold we bought them a can of soup and a weekly world news as laughter is the best medicine.

These guys printed pictures of Bill Clinton shaking hands with aliens, which were so obviously guys in rubber suits that I could have faked a better picture in my back yard. I really enjoy it. I believe you can even order T-Shirts now with some of their best photo-journalism on them. So they aren't taking themselves too seriously either. I don't think that they carry them at B&N or those kind of places, you might have to go to a 7Eleven or something like that to find one.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAAH, Man, why do we have to wait until next year for the world to end.

Why couldn't it have ended last week BEFORE I made out the checks to the IRS?????

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
I've been meaning to send subscriptions of that out for gifts for sometime now, but can never bring myself to do it

[/ QUOTE ]
That is really a good idea. The gift of laughter.

You guys are funny, I've been laughing out loud. You know the article also said there was a similar talking fish caught some time back, but it was killed. Talk about killing the messenger!

I can't believe that no one has commented on my tank picture yet. Seriously, "light" armor, "too much light to fight", thats good stuff. I think I may be able to get a job with one of these papers.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite WWN Headline: (I had this one hanging in my room, growing up):

"Priests and Psycics agree - Girl, age 9, made pregnant by Ghost"

Tombeis

Enlightened
As soon as any of you find out for sure that the world is coming to an end next year, please E-mail me with the date.

If I don't have to worry about living longer then next year, I can buy more flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2dogs

Enlightened
Several years ago on TV, maybe 60 Minutes, WWN was featured. The editor said most of the stories were sent in. That means WWN didn't have to check them out. The parent of WWN, The National Enquirer, did the more serious stories.

WWN is great. I wish more of the stories were true.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
Unless you're upset by people like Jerry Fallwell claiming that the Anti-Christ is alive, living amoungst us right now and is a Jew...

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, that means Jerry Springer is the anti-Christ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
I guess we'd better watch for plastic chairs that can fly then! LOL!!!

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Now when preists and psychics agree, there is no room for doubt. (Poor girl.)

I just remembered one that I saw many years ago, perhaps in the Enquirer, my all-time favorite:

"Severed head lives 7 days!". In it they said they were communicatng with the head through the use of coded eye-blinks.

Blink once for yes, twice for no, Mr. Head. "Does it hurt to have your whole body cut off?"
"BLINK." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine all the chatter everyone'd be getting if Ms Cleo was actually "credible"...