Here's my Surefire true story

signal 13

Enlightened
So I'm always talking to other officers about how great SF lights are over their lights. Well I drop my 6P w/ P60L bezel down on a kitchen floor during a domestic dispute. I go to fire it back up and it's dead. My assist officer looks over at me and says, "Surefire, huh?"

I knock it around a few times and it lights up dimly then dies...lights up and then dies again...so it finally died while I was approaching a vehicle on a traffic stop...

So what the heck is up with my P60L? Thought it was supposed to have "no filament to burn out or break." I'm calling SF tomorrow and getting a replacement.

And yes, I've swapped batteries, tailcaps, bezels...I pulled the P60L out of the G2 I have on my rifle and it works just fine in my 6P...it's the lamp that took a dump

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats embarrassing....seriously, to be talking volumes of praise for a light, only to have it fail. I feel you pain! and wish you speedy shipping..

Crenshaw

signal 13

Enlightened
I'm an officer in Fort Worth.

I'm sure SF will take care of me. They have in the past without any questions or hassle. They never even asked me to send back the stuff I had to replace in the past. They just sent it 100% free.

I'm still a SF junkie.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nothing electronic is 100% fool-proof... regardless of how well it is designed. There are always statistical possibilities and "Murphys' Law". Conversely you cold take an overseas made $10 DX host, drop it a few times in an effort to prove its inferiority and it will survive unscathed.

Just call SF, explain to them you are an LEO and request that they expedite a warranty repair with the appropriate urgency... and see if they can help. I don't think SF modules have a lifetime warranty though. So they'll replace any part of the light except the module. (someone please correct me on that).

Good Luck!!

P.S. ... suggestion... next time carry a backup. Even a Cheap DX module can get you through the night.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't think you will win $125 for that one, it is a good reminder to the rest of us always to have a backup light. I am sure they will replace your led prommotly.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
I've dropped my lights plenty of times but there is always that time you drop it the wrong way, on weird angle and your light is toast. Good luck on SF sending you a new one.

signal 13

Enlightened
I do carry a backup light...I had to break out my E2E with KL4 head (which I carry clipped to my vest pocket)

It got me through the night!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing electronic is 100% fool-proof... regardless of how well it is designed. There are always statistical possibilities and "Murphys' Law". Conversely you cold take an overseas made $10 DX host, drop it a few times in an effort to prove its inferiority and it will survive unscathed.

Just call SF, explain to them you are an LEO and request that they expedite a warranty repair with the appropriate urgency... and see if they can help. I don't think SF modules have a lifetime warranty though. So they'll replace any part of the light except the module. (someone please correct me on that).

Good Luck!!

P.S. ... suggestion... next time carry a backup. Even a Cheap DX module can get you through the night.
surefire says "bulbs will burn out", but i dont think it refers to LEDs which is supposed to be "no bulbs or filement to burn out"

:shrug:

Crenshaw

Electro Idiot

Newly Enlightened
I know your light had the L.E.D. but,
I used to cringe everytime I would drop or hit my G2 hard....
If that light is the norm for incan bulb durability, they are far from fragile...
It has been dropped hard, hit hard, been in extreme cold, heat and even ended up in a gas sump for a couple minutes.....
Now the next Incan I end up getting will probably quit working after the first time it gets dropped lol....
Sf people are really great to talk to and work with..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Good to hear you had a back-up light.

Must admit to being curious if an M2 would have survived such a fall.

BBL

Enlightened
No matter what - a good led light should survive a man-height drop. An expensive light even more. Surefire makes flashlights, like everyone else, they just charge more. Maybe replace the 6PL with a Fenix T-series light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No matter what - a good led light should survive a man-height drop. An expensive light even more. Surefire makes flashlights, like everyone else, they just charge more. Maybe replace the 6PL with a Fenix T-series light.

Please, let's not turn this into another Surefire vs. Fenix thread.

Any light can fail. You do expect a Surefire to be less prone to such a failure. But less prone and never are two very different things.

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please, let's not turn this into another Surefire vs. Fenix thread.

Any light can fail. You do expect a Surefire to less prone to such a failure. But less prone and never are two very different things.

Agreed,

So who cares whats on the outside, ones an american ones chinese, but inside aren't we all just lithium... can't we all just get along.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hmm looks you might just have a dud unit on your hands. Glad you had a backup. 2 is 1, 1 is none.

I am confident that when you tell Surefire that you broke it that they will fix it ;)

Please let us know if you find out exactly what it was.