7 day hunting trip into wilderness - what lights would you take?

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
When I took a week long bear hunting trip into the wilderness of New Brunswick, Canada I took three flashlights with me. I took a Surefire M4 body with a KL6 head (for walking out from hunting to meet the guide and for tracking wounded game), a Surefire E2E (for finding my stand in darkness and anytime I didn't need all the light from the KL6) and an Eternalight Elite-Max (mostly used this light at camp as a lantern and to find the porta-potty and toilet paper. also set it to flash pattern and left it hanging over my dead bear so we could find it easier when I returned with the guide and ATV for recovery)

While hunting the Eternalight was in my backpack, the E2E was in my pants pocket and the M4 was stuck down the top of my knee high boots against the outside of my right calf. (surprisingly comfortable)

Now, If you were planning a similar trip what lights would you take? and why?

If I were planning again I would only make one change, I'd swap the bezel on the E2E for a KX2 for extended runtime and no worry about bulb failure and I wouldn't take as many extra batteries. One extra set per light is plenty. Oh....I also took a green laser pointer for safety reasons, so I could signal with it.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got back from a week of camping, and I only used the smallest light I had for searching thru my gear in my tent.

I had some medium power lights, but they're too bright for inside a tent, and are only fun for testing their range.

When I camp we have dinner at night, enjoy a little campfire, then go to bed. We don't go night hunting.

I'd recommend the smallest, cheapest light you have. That would be enough for 90% of your camping needs.

Illum

Flashaholic
Surefire A2-HA-RD and most likely some spares:whistle:
Versatility and power, most likely tag along some red or blue filters
a Fenix E01 or two on the keychain. I've been on a few astronomy trips and when theres no light around the E01 is almost too bright around camp. I've ran the E01 [one white, one chimo-modded red] with not much decline in output for basically the whole night. A couple spare L92 lithiums oughta do it:thumbsup:
E2L [old type with Single stage KX2 CREE] as a main light:huh:
9 hour regulation, compact size

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would first recommend a headlamp, then one long running LED and another higher powered LED or incan. The headlamp is invaluable around the campsite and in the tent because it leaves both your hands available. I just used one on our annual camping trip and was able to clean all the pots and pans in the dark, navigate and work on whatever I needed done with both hands. I also had another one-cell 123 LED in my pocket for use around the campsite and navigation. I also had one higher powered two-cell 123 for other uses which actually didn't get much use at all because the headlamp and one-cell 123 LED covered 95% of everything I needed to do.

Patriot

Flashaholic
H30
120P
A2 with red LED
Xenide25

I find a good head lamp to be a must. I good incan a must and an all around multi-led to be a must. Plus they all use the same cell. The last couple of years I've packed an HID light in my pack when heading out for the evening hunt and one rainy evening it paid off. I ended up walking for two hours in the rain with an AE24/s with extra battery, and it was comforting to have. Now I've made a habit of it but switched to the Xenide.

That's not the only lights that I bring archery hunting, but I consider those the essentials to have in my pack. I've found that incans work the best for blood tracking too. The regulated output of the A2 is great.

fleegs

Enlightened
I would take the Zebralight H50 (maybe two since so small), the Ra Twisty 100 and McLux PD-S. Extra batts for Zebralight and a few extra batts for the Ra and PD. I might throw in the E01.

Rob

ginaz

Enlightened
whenever i've been deep in the wilderness i've found myself mostly wishing for less light and not more. even back in the luxeon days. i can only imagine how much overkill cree dropins are.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
one of the cheap everready or rayovac head lamps with the LED's. I carry one now as EDC because, battery life is amazing, enough light when i have to crawl around or dig in the back of the truck to find stuff, has plenty of light for night fishing. and its cheap. and I tend not to drop it in latrine when fumbling for the TP. I think mine was 9.88 at a menards

NOt hight tech or glamorous, its just works

gazaati

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend the smallest, cheapest light you have. That would be enough for 90% of your camping needs.

yeah sure, and keep your best, most relaible light for computer desk survival and back yard c.amping

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that scenario, with lights I own today, I'd take the Zebra H30, L2T and a red pocket light, probably ARC aaa. I'd stash an Ultra Inf for backup. I would expect the headlight to get 95% of the use. I agree with the previous guys -- when in the woods I usually want less light, not more.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would probably take the same thing I take hunting normally, a AA MagLED Minimag because it fits the belt pouch I like for my hunting belt for tracking. The other light I would likely take would be my Brinkman headlamp which would get most use because it is just right, not too bright or too dim. Between those I would have all I need. I might take my red Inova X5 if I wanted a brighter red light to go in and out of the woods with than the headlamp has.

Bright lights tend to reflect off vegitation and make it harder rather than easier to see in the woods.

Last edited:

Per Arne

Enlightened
1. High power incan for searching etc., better color rendition. Cuts better through rain, fog and snow...
2. LED headlamp around the camp...
3. LED backup light with red filter...
- useing lithium batteries

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
For perhaps 15 years or more the ONLY light I carried on week long hunting camps was a AA Minimag, with a spare bulb and batteries. I never found it to be too little or need more, for tracking/hiking/camp. I used a Niteeyze headband and it was all I ever needed. You would be surprised at how little you actually need flashlight wise.

I actually am not sure why I would take both a headlamp and the MagLED except perhaps the MagLED Minimag might be actually too bright for most uses and the headlamp is just too handy.

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
Wow, I look forward to wilderness trips so I can enjoy my lights. I suppose I could get by using a box of kitchen matches but why would I? I appreciate the differing opinions though.

zven

Enlightened
Batteries. Lots of spare batteries. No flashlights, just batteries. I'd certainly hate to get caught in the wild with partially depleted cells and no spares. And by eliminating the flashlights, you can be 100% sure that you'll never be in a situation of having depleted cells.

...Heh, in all seriousness, though, I'd take a headlamp, a "thrower" (just to see about walking distance away from a campsite or whatever; I have no particular need to see three hills away), and a general-use light. I'll be going camping this coming weekend, and I intend to take my Zebralight H30, my SF G2L, SF G3 (with M60LF drop-in, if it arrives in time), and Inova X5. I'm still undecided on my L1 and 3D Mag. Probably won't "need" them, since I've got my other bases mostly covered, but then, the more the merrier, right?

And yes, I will take spare batteries as well...

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I do alot of hunting, fishing and camping. A headlamp is much better than a flashlight in my view for camp/trail work. But I often carry both. At base camp it is the PT Apex headlamp. It is like a flashlight and a flood headlamp all in one. I will have the PT Aurora for a backup. If going more UL the PT Aurora gets the nod with maybe my G2Z or T3. I have replaced them with the Fenix L2D Q5 as it is lighter and brighter plus uses two AA. Pack in enough batteries and good hunting. Go with lithiums for late season hunts as sometimes it can get cold.

Last edited: