MAHA C9000 charger to charge C & D size batteries ?

kirby

Newly Enlightened
A few queries here

1) Can MAHA C9000 charger be used to charge C & D size batteries externally?

I've read somewhere that the first generation can but subsequent version can only charge up to 4000mAH ? If that is the case, did they intentionally re-programmed it so that people could not use it to charge C and D size batteries?

2) Is MAHA going to bring out a similar charger like C9000 that can also do C and D size and maybe 9V batteries??

3) Can C9000 charge those rechargable Alkaline batteries?

Thanks. :)

Anders

Enlightened
Hello kirby.

1:It is possible, but only in break in mode. you have to find a way to connect the cells first. Here you can see how Powermeup did.

2: Not what I heard about.

3: No

Anders

kirby

Newly Enlightened
Check out the maha charger mh-c808m as it has 8 charging stations that will accomodate aaa aa c and d cells and features soft or rapid charge. Got mine from www.thomasdistributing.com

Thanks Bob. I am aware of that c808m charger. However from what I have read it does not have as much functions as the c9000 charger.

I hardly have to charge c and d size batteries and if c9000 can do it then it would be great.

FredM

Enlightened
It CAN charge any size but you have to have some solution to get electrical contact.

It will also take a while to charge because it only outputs 2 amps. That isn't even .5C for most C cells, much less D cells.

FredM

Enlightened
Hello FredM.

C-9000 can charge up to 4Ah at each slot if you don't have the first version.

Anders

Even more reason to not get it specifically for the C and D cell sizes.

In addition to only being able to output 2amps you are saying it has a total limit of 4000mAh of charging. I cannot find that info though. Where did you get that?

Anders

Enlightened
Hello FredM.

This is one of the places i found it:
Silverfox review in the review sektion

I bought my first c-9000 unit in december 2006 so I know something about this one:grin2:

It sounds like you don't find the charger useful, I think it is THE charger for what it is build for, AA and AAA cells.

pobox1475: kirby is familiar with MAHA MH-C808M, I have one as well, its a very good charger but as kirby said, not much modes on it.

Anders

kirby

Newly Enlightened

pobox1475

Enlightened
familiar with MAHA MH-C808M, its a very good charger but as said, not much modes on it.
After spending the past month breakin-in new and old left unused cells non stop (new C9000) I am longing for some "set it and forget it" action :laughing: . It would be nice to have added features. I want one primarily to charge C's for a radio which is not a critical application as say "eeking out" the most run time from my new AA torch ;) . The ability to charge all 8 that I need is attractive and at $90 more features would drive up price. A little under MSRP is already a stretch :broke:.

FredM

Enlightened
It sounds like you don't find the charger useful, I think it is THE charger for what it is build for, AA and AAA cells.

Anders

I don't think it would be useful for the application listed by the OP.

I don't know why you think I don't find it useful in general.

Anders

Enlightened
Hello FredM.

Ohh, I just read your sentence:

"Even more reason to not get it specifically for the C and D cell sizes."
and
"In addition to only being able to output 2amps"

I thought that you find it weak, both that it wasn't capable to charge bigger cells than 4Ah and also that you were disappointed about the "low" charge rate.

Thats why it is so hard to understand only by letters, its better to listen to someone, you can hear better what the persom mean.
I am sorry if i missunderstood you Fred. :wave:

Anders

Anders

Enlightened
Hello kirby.

The Adapters from DX is only there to hold the cables to the C and D cells, a bit of wood with the right length is as good as this holders, the important thing is that the cableholder doesn't provide any current.

Then he had one holder to each cell, one other way is a magnet on the cables to connect to each cell.

Anders

kirby

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Anders. I think I have figured out the setup now.

Since the C9000 can only charge up to 4000mAh and if I use it for a 11000mAh D size battery, can I just turn the charger off and then on again so that it would then add more charge to the battery? By doing this process twice the D size battery would then get charged up fully?

pobox1475

Enlightened
No. The MH-C9000 uses a predetermined voltage point (1.47v) to signal the end of charging (along with a heat sensor). It will charge up to 20,000 mAh capacity at a rate of 2.0A. Once that level of charge is reached and a cell is removed and reinserted (or attached) it will not charge past that point because the voltage will signal it's full (done).

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the C9000 can only charge up to 4000mAh and if I use it for a 11000mAh D size battery, can I just turn the charger off and then on again so that it would then add more charge to the battery? By doing this process twice the D size battery would then get charged up fully?
Yes, you can do this. If you remove the battery and reconnect it, or turn the charger off and on again, the 4000 mAh limit will be reset and the charger will continue to charge for another 4000 mAh, or until the end of charge condition is detected, whichever comes first. For an 11,000 mAh cell you may have to do this twice.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stand corrected then. So the voltage cut off will allow it to continue charging even if it has reached 1.47v?
No, it won't continue charging in that case. But it won't reach 1.47 V until it has completed more than 90% of a full charge, which won't happen with 4000 mAh into an 11,000 mAh cell.

That last 10% is really difficult to get into a cell anyway, and even if you squeeze it in it will rapidly drain away due to self discharge. It's almost not worth the bother of trying.