A flashlight for staff

houtex

Enlightened
I'm trying to locate a flashlight that is bright with a tight focus for singling out someone in a crowd. relativlely inexpensive as cause about ten will need to be purchased. it will also hopefully run on AA or AAA batteries. Single mode only please.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
7736ts looks nice. Not sure how cheap you were thinking though.
But, if you've seen the beam from a led lenser product, it's clear that they spend a lot of time developing their optics.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
Check Target or Walmart. I just picked up a nice 2xaa led light with traditional push button for 12.95. Our selection varies by week at both stores, so a good look is a must here.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you don't mind short runtime and unknown quality, these can be good. Fool focus should give you a pretty good spotting beam for the size.

What price range?
Also, how much is runtime and spill a factor?

craig333

Newly Enlightened
Better make it a good one if you pick me out of a crowd. I might just shine back and it will be bright.

houtex

Enlightened
Cost..lets keep it kinda cheap
runtime..not a concern
dependablity a must
I'm thinking something AA but bright with a tight hot spot,spill not needed
Gunner that DX light looks neat,any real reviews yet?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a SL ProPolmer 2AA LED for $17.95 @ BrightGuy? 18hrs. @ 25 lumens with a tightly focused beam. My .02 FWIW.

The Streamlight ProPolymer 2AA LED flashlight has a tightly focused beam and convenient tailcap switch for momentary on and constant on/off. With a bright 30,000 hour LED, Streamlight 2AA LED ProPolymer is more cost-effective than a conventional flashlight because you won't need expensive replacement bulbs.

Features of Streamlight ProPolymer 2AA LED flashlight:
- 0.5 watt bright 30,000 hour high flux LED; no need for replacement bulbs
- corrosion and impact resistant
- waterproof and O-ring sealed (not dive rated)
- powered by 2 ea AA alkaline batteries, included
- up to 18 hours of run time
- unbreakable polycarbonate lens with scratch resistant coating
- integrated pocket clip
- limited lifetime warranty from Streamlight
- assembled in USA

Safety Ratings for Streamlight 2AA ProPolymer LED:
UL Listed
Class I, Div 2, Groups A, B, C, D
Class II, Div 2, Groups F&G
Class III, T4C

Wyeast

Enlightened
Depends on the circumstances. I'm assuming by the sound of it that you're looking to equip event security of some sort - so it depends on how large of a crowd and what kind of lighting conditions you're talking about. Something quiet like a darkened theater, or shorter distances like under 25', and you'll get away with most low-mid level focused lights like River Rocks with the moonbeam lenses or the Propoly Lux.

If it's a larger venue, or a lot of flashing lights (like concerts, raves, etc) then you really need something with a lot of pop to it. I'd probably put the Task Force Cree 2C as a minimum entry, as I don't know of many AA lights with as tight a focus with that kind of power.

You guys have it good. Back when I worked security all we had were 3D/5D mags! :candle:

Hope that helps!

houtex

Enlightened
Yes it is for event security.Recently our club swichted to 18 and up which means in the club biz 18 only. 700+ kids running around. I need something for barbacks,bartenders,sweepers,dj's and other staff to carry to help identify problems,single out trouble makers,and call attention to themselves. I want it to be as pocketable as possible. When i told the staff to outfit themselves with flashlight most of them showed up with those Garrity 9 led lights. The ones available at Walmart checkout for 4 bucks.:rolleyes:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man, 18 plus is the worst.:sick2: Good luck with that.

The only thing fun about 'em are the one sided fist-fights.
It's like no 18 year old has any idea of their limits. It's like they all think its kosher to have a go at the biggest ugliest bouncer in the joint.:poof: very funny.

As far as kids drinking out in the lot I usually just have the guy at the door charge the the 18yr olds cover every time they come through. Just adjust it depending on how much money they have, make sure it stings a bit. That should save you from having a guy walking the lot looking in cars.

Wyeast

Enlightened
Yeah, pocketable, the Task Force is NOT. :crackup:

I'd maybe suggest giving those new Coleman MAX's a go. They don't have a really tight focus, but it's workable for spotlighting a single person out to maybe 10-15'. The River Rocks have great focus, but I don't think they're bright enough to stand out against club lighting. $25 a pop for the 2AA model.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
18 year olds at a nightclub deserve a 6D mag and a severe THUMP:twak:... or complete eradication with a Dillon minigun.... LOL

I have a shiningbeam RC-N3-Q5 on order. Its not really pocketable in 2AA form, but it should be bright given that its a Q5 emitter.

If you can hold out a week or two for my review. It was $25 shipped with the CPF discount.

Niconical

Enlightened
I think the RC-N3 from shiningbeam will serve you very well in single CR123A or 2xAA form.

BTW, you mentioned "Our club switched to 18 and up".
If it's now 18 and up, what was it before? :thinking:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I think the RC-N3 from shiningbeam will serve you very well in single CR123A or 2xAA form.

BTW, you mentioned "Our club switched to 18 and up".
If it's now 18 and up, what was it before? :thinking:

Legal drinking age here in the USA is 21+, so that's probably what it used to be.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some places do 18+, usually with wristbands or something to indicate legal drinking age (21). It is supposedly to attract more business (old pervs looking to pick up on underagers by buying them drinks -a major problem) and repeat customers (when they turn 21). The problem is, other than the cover charge, there really isn't any money to be made off of kids, (not that they have a lot anyways) theres only so much that can be charged for soda. And it's a huge pain, most 18 year old's think they're the only ones to try getting a drink or pass a fake ID off at one of these things.