How to disassemble a head?

flip

Enlightened
Help! I am trying to take the head apart on a Gerber RX350 flashlight. I have tried the boiling it in a zip lock bag trick but that didn't work. Are there any other tricks to try?

SMKW had these for $5.99 so I bought a few. I noticed that the bulb mounts just like those for a minimag so I have bought some minimag aftermarket drop-in leds to put in them. Since this is a single CR123A light, voltage shouldn't be a problem. I need to swap out the reflectors but...I can't get the heads apart. I know this is several steps down from what you guys put together but I am new to this and not very handy. You have to start somewhere, right?

The 1st one I did used a Nite Ize 3 led drop-in. I trimmed away most of the reflector with a Dremmel. It made a good short range floody light.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Above post reported [thanks - dealt with - DM51]. As for taking the head apart, what kind of tools have you tried?

Last edited by a moderator:

flip

Enlightened
I've tried brute force, boiling it in a zip lock bag and Vice grips with a piece of rubber wrapped around the head to protect it. So far, I've only managed to scar up a head a little.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you plan on taking more things apart, I would invest in a set of strap wrenches. They give you more leverage than your hand or wrench and a piece of rubber.

Failing the boiling water method, try a heat gun or hair dryer. If it's really stubborn, then a torch skillfully applied should be the last resort.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the rubber strap wrenches. These seem to work on just about anything, as long as they're just thread locked and not glued. They work on most surefires without even needing to heat.