Ra Twisty beam patterns

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
My goal in posting this is to determine the difference in the intensity of the hotspot and spill in the four different models of the Ra Twisty that produce white light. Ra describes the beam of each model as wider or narrower, but I would like to see the net result of the change in beam pattern and lumen rating, and be able to compare it to other flashlights. If anybody was crazy enough to order all four, I'll just PM them :).

Otherwise, if you have more than one model of the Ra Twisty, please post lux measurements at 1m both in the brightest part of the hotspot and halfway between the hotspot and edge of the useful spill.

Since lux meters vary significantly, I will normalize the data posted. For instance, if somebody posts lux numbers for the 85-tr and the 100-t, and another user posts numbers for the 100-t and 120-t, I can find the percent difference between the first and second user's 100-t and apply it to the 120-t in order to compare all three models. This is why I am asking for measurements only from members with two different models. Ultimately I will convert the numbers to the scale produced by Mev's light meter (www.light-reviews.com) in order to provide the largest number of comparisons.

Also, if I have missed a thread with lux measurements for multiple models from the same person, please post a link to that thread.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope that this will eventually provide all of us with some test measurements that would be very expensive for a single person to obtain :)

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an 85-Tr and a 100-Tw and the beams are quite different. The beam from the 100-Tw is like a Novatac's beam and the 85-Tr is different than other lights that I have owned... it has a pretty tightly focused hot-spot which is noticeably more intense than my 100-Tw.

The tint on my 85-Tr is also cooler than the tint on my 100-Tw. I hope that this helps.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an 85-Tr and a 100-Tw and the beams are quite different. The beam from the 100-Tw is like a Novatac's beam and the 85-Tr is different than other lights that I have owned... it has a pretty tightly focused hot-spot which is noticeably more intense than my 100-Tw.

The tint on my 85-Tr is also cooler than the tint on my 100-Tw. I hope that this helps.

sorry for the late reply - I left on vacation just after the post. I guess you don't have a lux meter, but this information still helps me a lot - thanks for posting :)

Sounds like not many people have two models....

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and concur with the gentleman from Florida.

The 85Tr has a very noticeable, bright, and tight center "throw" with a broad spill.

The 100W has a larger and more diffuse center "throw" with a broader and brighter spill.

The tint of the 85Tr is cooler than the 100w.

The difference in overall output is hardly noticeable.

The Osram does not have a gel dome, the Seoul does.

Hans

Enlightened

I agree, die beam pattern of the 85-TR is quite different from any other light I've ever used. The throw is pretty good for such a small light because of the small, intense hotspot, and yet the spill is broad enough when navigating a trail in the woods. It not *that bright*, I find it's a bit dimmer than the spill of my HDS (with LuxIII emitter) with both lights set to the same level.

I find this beam pattern almost ideal outdoors, the combination of small hotspot and spill is really nice.

Hans

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
rather than start a new Thread (which is generally to be discouraged fr/some comments i've recently read fr/Mod & Admin types), i've chosen to place this somewhat related matter in this particular Thread. hope no one minds.

i own a Twisty Ra-100-Tw (or Ra Twisty-100-Tw -- i've seen it writtten both ways, but really don't know which one, or both, is correct and generally acceptable).

in that regards, i have four questions:

QUESTION #1:
ignoring the red LED in the -Tr versions of the Twisty, is the narrower beam pattern of the -Tr models really sufficiently different to warrant, ignoring the cost/$$$ aspects, the purchase of one of the -Tr models of the Twisty? my primary intended use, among other uses, would be nighttime hikes in the woods, or nighttime strolls on paths, & i have read in one Post that the brighter spot w/its attendant greater throw, yet still having a bright enough spill makes a -Tr model excellent for this use. i do like a good size spill, or field of illumination at 30-plus feet distance so that the light does not have to be sequentially directed at individual trees and rocks to spot low contrast, faded blazes marking bends or turns in an umfamiliar trail - hence wanting a decent, though not necessarily massive, sized field of illumination at 30+ feet. so, do owners of a -Tr who may used it in the fashion in which i intend, agree with this statement regarding the -Tr versions' usefulness in this particular application? how many feet or metres across is the "spot" at 30 feet/10m? how wide is the entire spill? if anyone who has both -Tr and -Tw versions could comment on the relative usefulness of -Tr versus -Tw in a nighttime hike or stroll application, that would be greatly appreciated. obviously, if anyone owns just a -Tr and uses it for night hikes, their comments concerning how the -Tr works in this application would be very valuable also. many thanks.

QUESTION #2:
does the lower rated (85lumens) Ra-85-Tr 's tighter spot throw as far (or farther) than the higher rated (100lumens) Ra-100-Tw? approximately (merely a "guesstimate" is sufficient) how much or less farther does it "throw"?

QUESTION #3:
if i were to purchase a -Tr version, again ignoring cost/$$$, should i purchase the 85-Tr or the 100-Tr (assuming i can get one of these more limited ones), especially if i'm interested in one w/as much or more throw than the wider beam of my Ra-100-Tw? i'm NOT interested in MAXIMIZING throw, but would want more throw in a -Tr as the 100-Tw possesses, otherwise (since a red LED is *NOT* of great necessity for me) there is no point in me purchasing a -Tr model.

QUESTION #4:
since i want at least the burntimes on 17lumen and 100lumen o.p. levels, but i might want a bit more throw than a Ra-100-Tw provides on its factory default 17lumen and 100lumen o.p. settings, instead of getting a -Tr model, would a second viable option be to attempt to obtain a -120-Tw version? in other words, does the 120-Tw throw further than a -85tr, or -100-Tr? (RATIONALE regarding the -120-Tw being a possible 2nd Twisty instead one of the -Tr versions: since, unless i'm totally mistaken and someone please correct me if i am [i know that this is the way it is supposed to work in a NovaTac EDC 120P, for instance], the emitter in the -120-Tw might be more efficient than the one in the -100-Tw, so, i might be able to re-program it one level above the factory default 15lumen MED o.p. level and get more light & throw from the -120-Tw than fr/a 17lumen o.p. -100-Tw while, hopefully, still having approx. the same burntime.)

i look fwd to your knowledgeable replies, and many thanks, in advance, for your time and efforts to enlighten me. i'm sure that your experiences and answers will prove to be very educational for myself and others. again, many thanks. sincerely, pj aka half-watt

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
QUESTION #2:
does the lower rated (85lumens) Ra-85-Tr 's tighter spot throw as far (or farther) than the higher rated (100lumens) Ra-100-Tw? approximately (merely a "guesstimate" is sufficient) how much or less farther does it "throw"?

QUESTION #3:
if i were to purchase a -Tr version, again ignoring cost/$$$, should i purchase the 85-Tr or the 100-Tr (assuming i can get one of these more limited ones), especially if i'm interested in one w/as much or more throw than the wider beam of my Ra-100-Tw? i'm NOT interested in MAXIMIZING throw, but would want more throw in a -Tr as the 100-Tw possesses, otherwise (since a red LED is *NOT* of great necessity for me) there is no point in me purchasing a -Tr model.

QUESTION #4:
since i want at least the burntimes on 17lumen and 100lumen o.p. levels, but i might want a bit more throw than a Ra-100-Tw provides on its factory default 17lumen and 100lumen o.p. settings, instead of getting a -Tr model, would a second viable option be to attempt to obtain a -120-Tw version? in other words, does the 120-Tw throw further than a -85tr, or -100-Tr? (RATIONALE regarding the -120-Tw being a possible 2nd Twisty instead one of the -Tr versions: since, unless i'm totally mistaken and someone please correct me if i am [i know that this is the way it is supposed to work in a NovaTac EDC 120P, for instance], the emitter in the -120-Tw might be more efficient than the one in the -100-Tw, so, i might be able to re-program it one level above the factory default 15lumen MED o.p. level and get more light & throw from the -120-Tw than fr/a 17lumen o.p. -100-Tw while, hopefully, still having approx. the same burntime.)

Hello half-watt,
  • Question 1: I will defer.
  • Question 2: My 85-Tr throws noticeably further than my 100 Tw. The tint is also much cooler. To my eyes, the 85-Tr throws equivalent to my E2L and E1B.
  • Question 3: I would purchase the 100-Tr over the 85-Tr for the plain reason that it will likely run longer at the lower levels due to the better efficiency of the LED. I am assuming that the 100's are better binned, or higher performing in the same bin, than the 85's.
  • Question 4: I can't be sure, but I would suspect that the 120 would not throw as far as the 85-Tr.
I do want to add my feelings on the throw of the ultra-rugged LED's. The hot-spot is very well defined and it is also very small; about 1/2 the size of a E1L at the same distance. For me, I prefer the warmer tints of the Seoul's and the more gradual transition from spot to flood that the Seoul's provide. The appeal of the Tr's is that they are marketed as the most rugged version of this already very rugged light.

Take it easy.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
: )>, many thanks for the swift reply.

your final thoughts have sealed the deal for me.

though someone else has posted that they felt that the 85-Tr version had a decent sized spot & spill for night hiking, your more precise comparison to the E1L conveys more exact info to me (since i own two E1L's, i.e. the single-stage Cree, and the two-stage Cree).

i, personally, wouldn't want to use, for the specific purpose i stated, a light that has just 1/2 the spot size (and perhaps also a smaller spill diameter, and thus field of illumination) of the E1L.

now, if i did still purchase one for other purposes, your additional info is valuable also, as i now know that the 85-Tr would probably be sufficient for some of my uses as far as Throw is concerned. i'd have to correspond w/Henry first to make sure that the 100's are more efficient and hence that is the reason why it is stated that some can be driven to produce the 100 lumen o.p.

again, many thanks. you have been very helpful to me. sincerely, pj aka half-watt

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I don't know if this will help, but these are my measurements of my Ra-85-Tr:

"I'd say that at 1' distance there's an 14" diameter beam in total (7" from one edge of the spill to center of the hot-spot) and the hot-spot is about 4" in diameter. At 5' distance there is a 5'6" diameter beam in total (2.75' from the edge of the spill to center of the hot-spot) and the hot-spot is about 8" in diameter."

I used a tape measure to determine the distances, so it should be pretty accurate. Hope this helps.

Maybe one of you Tw owners can take measurements at the same distances, and that might shed light on the differences between the Tr and Tw.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
EM, many thanks for the swift reply.

those exact measurements help a great deal also. thank you for taking the time to perform them.

it does now, however, raise, one question in my mind. that question is this, is the spill USEFUL, meaning is it bright enough to provide useful illumination at distance. obviously, it won't be as bright as the hot-spot (otherwise it wouldn't be spill!!!) but, is it so dim that it is really useless? actually, i think these questions are probably too vague to be answered w/o defining precisely the distance. i guess i can use the beam angle (9 deg, IIRC - i'll have to verify this number first) to help understand what it looks like at 30+ feet, out to, let's say, 100'.

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my Tr-85 for two short trips in the woods, I like the beam pattern - I think it suits the outdoors very well. There is more than enough light spill for me and it throws very well.
You can use a Surefire beam diffuser in case you need a flood light, it fits perfect and it's cheap.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I like the beam pattern - I think it suits the outdoors very well. There is more than enough light spill for me...

enough spill for me would be such that i do NOT have to sequentially direct the light on each and every tree trunk and rock, one after the other, in order to make sure that i don't miss a "blaze" marking a turn or bend in an unfamiliar trail. in some places the foliage is NOT thick enough to form a corridor and thus it is possible to wander off of an unfamiliar trail in such places if one misses a blaze.

i'd like to be able to see a decent swath at 30+ feet, whether it be w/the hot-spot or spill doesn't matter (as long as the spill is bright enough to be useful for this purpose at 30+ feet).

any comments on this, Daniel? many thanks, pj aka half-watt

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Half-watt,

The spill is totally and completely useful.

You would not need to point the hot-spot at every single area of concern. You can generally aim the light ahead of you, and the spill will reach your feet with reasonable brightness, it will spread to cover enough of your peripheral vision that you don't feel you're in a tunnel, and it will throw astonishingly well directly ahead of you.

I do not find myself struggling to see where I need to walk. I've used this torch in completely unfamiliar terrain, by itself and with the aid of other lights. The Tr version holds its own as being both useful for throw and flood.

The transition from the edge of the hot-spot to flood in the context of the entire beam is so smooth and even, that it truly is comfortable to use in a wide variety of conditions.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
half-watt,
I think the spill should be enough for your described use - but I can't tell for sure, because I have walked just through some woods with the new Twisty, it hasn't seen any real "action" yet.
I have found the Medium setting on my 85-Tr to be bright enough for walking (too bright for me).

So better wait for someone else to comment on real world use. I might take it tomorrow for a walk, I wish I had a better digital camera to take outdoor beamshots (it doesn't have manual exposure).

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
many thanks to all who have taken of their time to reply to my questions and concerns. your replies are greatly appreciated by me, though not by my ungrateful wallet which may possibly become lighter yet. i'm going to have to take my 100-Tw out again for a better workout, b/f deciding whether to take the plunge or not on a -Tr.

again, my thanks to all.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
i'm going to have to take my 100-Tw out again for a better workout, b/f deciding whether to take the plunge or not on a -Tr.

again, my thanks to all.

Don't forget that the Ra Clicky should come out soon... Maybe save your money until more is known about it. I don't think the 85-Tr is going to disappear anytime soon. :)

As far as the intent of this post, i.e. Pictures of the beamshots/patterns of the Tr and Tw together would be highly appreciated. :tinfoil:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget that the Ra Clicky should come out soon... Maybe save your money until more is known about it...As far as the intent of this post, i.e. Pictures of the beamshots/patterns of the Tr and Tw together would be highly appreciated. :tinfoil:

good point on the "clickie". i'll probably end w/both (or worse,...worse???...better?, yeah, better! two of each, both Twisty and Clickie).

my apologies for the only semi-related Thread-hijack. i'm done. it's back in your far more capable hands. many thanks for loaning your Thread to me for a semi-related matter (ok, i admit it, i'm stretchin' the relationship just a bit here in a vain attempt to to justify my crime against you and make it seem less heinous).

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got friends over this weekend, so if I can get some time tonight I'll try to do a quick beam pattern pic or two of the Ra 100w vs. 85Tr.:tinfoil:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Well it was a foggy night out tonight, so I decided to take shots of my 85Tr beam pattern..
EDIT: Oh, by the way, all the shots have an Fstop of 2.8 and a shutter opened for 15 seconds except for the under exposed shot, which was 2 second. The Twisty is at 85lm on a fresh RCR123.

This first shot is from roughly 10' away from the Twisty.
beamprofileup.jpg

Here are the Twisty bezel and camera lens at an equal level, and only about an inch away from each other.
beamforward%20edit.jpg

This is an under exposed shot, about a 1' below the Twisty.
beamunderexposed.jpg

I don't know if these pictures can help anybody, due to the lack of comparison to other lights. But perhaps it does provide a visual demonstration of the "Narrowness" characteristic.

One of you TW people; if perhaps some fog rolls your way could you try to take similar pictures? That would be a great collaboration. :tinfoil:

Last edited: