Trust Fire TR-801 Test with pics!

ambientmind

Enlightened
After receiving and modding my trustfire TR-801 today, I thought I'd run it through some tests to see how it holds up. I changed the led to a Q5 WC bin since the original Q5 was really blue. I also changed the board to the two mode KD board which offers a 1A high and a 150mA low and put a gitd oring at the front since it had no oring on the lens. Now for the pictures!

Anti Scratch test:
IMG_9132copy.jpg

PASS!!!

Drop test:
IMG_9122copy.jpg

PASS!!!

Lanyard test:
IMG_9116copy.jpg

PASS!!!

Crush test:
IMG_9131copy.jpg

PASS!!!

Taste test:
IMG_9121copy.jpg

FAIL!!!

Give it back test:
IMG_9135copy.jpg

FAIL!!!

For the money, it looks like a winner to me, and to my cat....:twothumbs

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind, what's the sku for the KD 2-mode board, and is it lo-hi or hi-lo?

Edit: this one right?

Last edited:

ambientmind

Enlightened
If you don't mind, what's the sku for the KD 2-mode board, and is it lo-hi or hi-lo?

Edit: this one right?

yes its that one. they have a 5 pack too thats a pretty good deal. its got memory, so it can go either low hi or hi low, depending which one it was on.

lol, she licked it and didnt go for it again, although she is a picky eater!

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes its that one. they have a 5 pack too thats a pretty good deal. its got memory, so it can go either low hi or hi low, depending which one it was on.

So it just starts off in whatever mode it was in when turned off more than three seconds ago?

I've got that 5-pk on the way. This might be my new favorite board.

Thanks for the heads-up/info! :thumbsup:

ambientmind

Enlightened
So it just starts off in whatever mode it was in when turned off more than three seconds ago?

I've got that 5-pk on the way. This might be my new favorite board.

Thanks for the heads-up/info! :thumbsup:

you got it! just leave it in one mode for a few seconds, it will flicker to signal it has the mode memorized, then the next time you turn it on, it will be in that mode. i wanted something simple with a hi low, and this does it!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
you got it! just leave it in one mode for a few seconds, it will flicker to signal it has the mode memorized, then the next time you turn it on, it will be in that mode. i wanted something simple with a hi low, and this does it!

To recap: 2-mode low-hi or hi-low, AMC7135s, no inductor, 1A on high, under $2.50/ea, :paypal:

My Smartfire is getting one of these, as will be a homemade light in the design stages.

Oh, and can you tell if low is PWM?

ambientmind

Enlightened
To recap: 2-mode low-hi or hi-low, AMC7135s, no inductor, 1A on high, under $2.50/ea, :paypal:

My Smartfire is getting one of these, as will be a homemade light in the design stages.

Oh, and can you tell if low is PWM?

Yes, low is PWM which annoyed me, but oh well. For that price I can't complain.

ambientmind

Enlightened
How's the frequency? Is it really bad?
its noticeable if you move your eyes or the flashlight quickly. other than that its ok. I would say its on par with some of the stock led taillights on cars that use PWM.

gollum

Enlightened
I got one of these and found it to be ...
nice and bright
good size
great price

although I did have to re-solder the connections,but it works fine now

will be a good work light to lend out or a good gift to a non-flashaholic :grin2:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yall are a bunch of amateurs.

Isn't the light moisture proof? Well I bet if you dip it in some bacon grease it won't fail the taste test :)

I barely made flashaholic and I STILL know this. Sheesh and I thought I was among pros..

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Got a 5-mode Q5 TR-801 today from DX.

Overall the machining, fit and finish is good, threads were dry for the most part. (no big deal)

For a EDC size 18650 light, its only a tiny bit longer than a L-Mini from Shiningbeam.
There's only room for 18650 cells that are flat, without pos. button.
The TR-801 has a kind of dedicated pill that you can unscrew, so mods. should be simple.

Put an 8 degree optic in it, the ones from Kai, (just lens, without its carrier) and its made this light much better. Not the warmest tint though..:tinfoil:
Has mode memory, and switch has good tactile feel.
The 5-mode TR-801 uses PWM on its Med. & Low level.
Its essentially unnoticeable on Low and you'd have to use a fan to see it on Med.
The L-Mini does not use PWM for its Version 1.

Overall I give this light a B+ in its current setup, the High is real strong, the Low isn't low enough... but hey, total cost w/ optic is about < $23

Last edited: