Another way to make your minimag brighter and whiter

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Stick in 3 N cells instead of 2 AA's... my bulb had been blackening from VERY limited use on AA's, and was turning yellow, i was gonna try out an LED in there instead, forgot to take out the bulb, and noticed it was very white. Might want to try it....Although I only have ONE spare minimag bulb, I wish I had more.

Edit..Nevermind perhaps...The bulb seems to have blackened more. It is pathetic how black it got on normal use (and only about 5 minutes at that).

Edit again: WOW! Stuck in the radio shack upgrade bulb (on AA's it was NO brighter for me) but WOW, on 3 N's it is freakin' bright! Hurts your eyes to look into it. Although, the beam is shaped JUST like a tear drop, I'll have to see if I can fix that somehow.

Spud

Well, more than that, I wish I had an Opalec conversion for it. I JUST ordered an ARC!!! Yay, I am gonna be an Arc Owner. Emailed the guy at Vicomptel, he is checking in to the New Beam conversions and may start selling them! I still wouldn't be able to afford one though :(

rlhess

Enlightened
Hey, Spud,

Get the Brinkmann NEXSTAR Xenon lamps for the MiniMag--brighter than the RS. I posted some numbers a while back.

Brinkmann offers free shipping.

Cheers,

Richard

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tater...which RS bulb is it? Could you post the exact specs on it? Thanks!

PS. Some WrightRight (sp?) will help somewhat in the beam shape. I put some on my minimag running a NextStar bulb and it helped...although I do notice an X shaped pattern in the beam
confused.gif

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I put in one of the Nextar bulb in my Minimag. It is super bright but the beam pattern is even worse than the original :-(

Do I need to trim the leads on the bulb?

Thanks,
- Vikas

kubolaw

Enlightened
Vikas -

I've never had to do any lead trimming in the 5-6 Nexstar bulb replacements I've done. It seems to be an exact replacement for the original MiniMag bulb. Also, the Nexstar beam pattern has always seemed to be at least as good as the original bulb pattern, if not better. Are you sure your Nexstar bulb isn't skewed somehow in your MiniMag. I guess the bulb itself could be defective - did you try both Nexstar bulbs that came in the package?

John

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vikas Sontakke:
I put in one of the Nextar bulb in my Minimag. It is super bright but the beam pattern is even worse than the original :-(

Do I need to trim the leads on the bulb?

Thanks,
- Vikas
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>