amber CMG infinity

onelight

Enlightened
While looking at camping gear at campmor.com I found they had amber infinity's for 9.95 one wound up on my order.It is the first low power colored led I have had when I turned it on, I thought now I know why they are on sale,but when I let my eyes adjust to the dark I found the light output to be plenty to find my way around the house and even to read without hurting my night vision.I think I am goeing to like it. I have read other flashaholics that liked the low power led lights and I have to agree they serve a purpose well.If you have not tried a standard infinity you may want to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
I have one and it is almost my most used light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Perfect for reading at night, very soft for the eyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You'll love it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Interesting sig line Bart, the head on that thing looks like a cancerous urinary bladder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Onelight, I have one of those amber Infinity lights - if I remember right, it was the very first light I tested for my website!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I still have it here (turns to a tripod to the left and turns it on & off), though I honestly prefer white light for reading, and red light for nighttime prowling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But if it were the only light within easy reach, you bet I'd go for it! I might use it to find another light, but I would USE it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Maybe you'd like something like this better... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
fc6a61ce.gif

Since we're off topic... (sorry onelight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) How are your furred friends doing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

As long as it's plain text, I prefer the amber, when "reading" comic books... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif The white is preferred by me too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
I remember the good comments you made regarding your red Infinity, Craig. It's definitely all you said it was. I picked one up, and it's got to the best red LED I have. Thank you!

Blikbok

Enlightened
I find the blue-green color to be less harsh to my eyes, but a standard CMG Infinity has been my constant companion for almost 2 years, IIRC. However, I do a lot of work which demands color-discrimination, so I now use a white Ultra often, since it's whiter than the white Infinity.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahhh...another person who's found the joys of yellow/amber light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think color is probably a personal preference - even though there are probably some physiological reasons why one color may be "better" than another.

Red for example we know is the correct color not to affect true scotopic night (rods only) vision since the rods are insensitive to wavelengths above about 650nm ie: red.

But for most of us who live in urban enviroments - most of the time we're not in total darkness, and anytime we can see any hint of color - we are NOT using true scotopic (rods only) vision. We're more likely to be using at most mesopic vision (combined rods and cones) or even straining to use photopic (cone) vision.

Under these conditions it's more likely that DIMness is the important factor, and color secondary.

My belief is that yellow tends not to glare/dazzle - since that's the color used in fog lights to be anti-dazzle (when scattered/reflected by white fog), and the prevalent use/availability of anti-glare yellow paper pads.

I seem to see well under yellow/amber light - as it seems to give me good definition and contrast - even at low intensities.

Another advantage for me is that it seems to attract less attrention since yellow/amber is most likely the color of lighting in urban and dim environments.

The main disadvantage of yellow/amber is color rendition - this is the one area where white is superior - but I often find white glares/dazzles my dark adapted eyes and it takes longer for my eyes to recover their sensitivity

Yellow (along with orange and red) LEDs only require 3V source, and have longer runtimes than other shorter wavelength color LEDs.

The CMG Infinity Amber Yellow, I believe, is rated at 41 hours (same as the other colors including the white)

BUT the Yellow Photons are advertized at 120 hours battery life.

I have not tested the runtime -
but I do know that a yellow Photon does last, since I've had a Yellow Photon II for nearly 5 years - waiting for my EDC yellow Photon Mk.1 on my keyring to wear out - and it just won't!!

Here are a couple of relevant threads regarding light colors:

LED Colors and Vision (pics)

Preserving Night Vision - Colors?

B@rt

Flashaholic
Vincent,
the Photon's claim is for intermittend use, and even then, by the time you hit the 120 hr mark, you will barely see the led emitting any photons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif, let alone enough to be useful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

The Infinity's claim is for continuous use... Try that with a Photon and you won't even get close...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:
the Photon's claim is for intermittend use, and even then, by the time you hit the 120 hr mark, you will barely see the led emitting any photons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif, let alone enough to be useful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

The Infinity's claim is for continuous use... Try that with a Photon and you won't even get close...

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said I have not tested the runtime - only using as my EDC the yellow Photon Mk.1 probably for about 6 years now and it's still not worn out - the body has been rubbed smooth so that almost all the fine grip ribbing has been worn off.

So what do you think the 120 hours actually is?

HALF? -
that's still 60 hours..........
for a light that's less than 1/4 the size and much, much lighter including the battery.

One has to be careful - as other shorter wavelength color Photons are only advertized (note my use of this operative word) as 10-12 hours battery life Vs. the advertized 120 hours of the yellow (orange and red), to the advertized 41 hours of the Infinity.......

BTW - JFYI - this is what the Photon website actually says about "Battery Life" -
http://www.photonlight.com/more_info/tech_specs.html
QUOTE:
*Spec listed is for continuous use. Under normal (intermittent) use, the battery life may vary. Just for comparison, a Solitaire mini Mag-Lite we tested gave about 4 hours of continuous light.
UNQUOTE

Please note the "continuous" rating....

But like I said I know this is only advertizing........
but should it be any less believable than adverts from CMG or Arc?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, I *did* leave a yellow Infinity on, and it was still producing usable light 60 hours later. I define "usable" as being bright enough to stagger around the house with at night, and not kick boxes, table legs, beds, toliets, or wheelchairs; and not stepping on thumbtacks, resistor leads, or little pet tails while stumbling about; and finally, getting it IN the toliet bowl rather than ON the toliet bowl.

Your perceptions of "usable light" may vary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif