please tell me difference between Maxbright and Luxeon

jimdays

Newly Enlightened
I used to have a Luxeon 1 w headlamp with 2 additional small leds for low power. Unfortunately, the headlamp was stolen. I really liked the headlamp, but that model is not longer available. I notice that Princeton Tec has a model with 1 W Maxbright led. Is the Maxbright 1w as bright as the Luxeon 1W? I noticed that when I opened up my old Luxeon headlamp, the 1W Luxeon light had a large robust heatsink as part of the led. Does the Maxbright have a large heatsink? It seems that the heatsink would be necessary for reliability. Thanks in advance for answers to these questions. One more thing. If I Google Luxeon, I get all kinds of specs for their leds from the manufacturer. However, if I Google Maxbright, I just get a Chinese supplier of leds. This makes me think that Maxbright is not as good as Luxeon.

Citivolus

Enlightened
I personally suspect that it is their own internal re-branding of the emitter for marketing purposes. Maxbright would likely sell better to the average consumer than Luxeon, and it protects them if they switch emitters from having to change the packaging. Also, it gives them a perceived "exclusive" product to the consumer.

Regards,
Eric

jimdays

Newly Enlightened
Can you tell me why you changed out the original leds? Was there something wrong with them?

vtunderground

Enlightened
...it protects them if they switch emitters from having to change the packaging...

I suspect that this is a big part of it.

Every Princeton Tec Eos, Apex, or Yukon HL that I've owned has had a Luxeon LED inside. But, by calling the LED a "Maxbright" instead, PT is free to switch suppliers at any time (for example, if they decided to start using the Seoul P4).

Jimdays, it's common to switch out Luxeon LEDs for either: 1) Luxeon LEDs of better tint or brightness, or 2) Seoul or Cree LEDs that are roughly twice as efficient (and therefore twice as bright with no decrease in runtime).

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you tell me why you changed out the original leds? Was there something wrong with them?

I change out luxeon 1 watt emitters as well. They are old technology. Newer emitters are more than twice as bright/ twice as efficient. The major problem is headlamp manufacturers like Princeton Tec are dragging their feet on upgrading their product lines. Though I do see more Cree and rebel emitters showing up every couple months, so there is hope. :p

Sorry I don't have a list yet of which makes and modles are using better LEDs but hang around CPF for awhile and you'll be able to recognize LEDs for what they are soon enough.
:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
He probably changed it out for a more efficient(at least twice the efficient) LED. So same power but at least twice the output.

The Seoul P4 seem to work best when you want to swap a Luxeon form a current gen LED.

:welcome:

jimdays

Newly Enlightened
Based on what I read here, I ordered a 1W Black Diamond Spot. I don't really know how bright this willl be compared to the Luxeon 1W. The Black Diamond Spot also has 3 regular leds for the low setting. I think that having regular leds for the low setting would be more battery efficent than just reducing the power to the 1W led.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most of the time a "1 watt" LED refers to the Luxeon 1.

At lower drive currents, the Luxeon 1 might be more efficient then most 5mm LED. But the reason they use 5mm LEDs might be for the beam pattern.

LEDs get more efficient at lower currents.

If you can open up the light and have decent soldering skills, I'd recommend swapping in a Current gen LED.

vtunderground

Enlightened
If you can open up the light and have decent soldering skills, I'd recommend swapping in a Current gen LED.

New BD Spots have a Cree LED. I stopped by the local Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday, and about 1/3 of the Spots on the rack had Crees, the rest had Luxeons. The new ones are easy to spot (haha) because they have a new faceted reflector.

The Icon has been upgraded too, and with a similar reflector.

Based on what I read here, I ordered a 1W Black Diamond Spot.

Cool, hope you like it!

Last edited:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Black Diamond Spot also has 3 regular leds for the low setting. I think that having regular leds for the low setting would be more battery efficent than just reducing the power to the 1W led.
I've ALWAYS prefered low power applied to the high powered LEDs than having seperate 5mm LEDs (smaller ones) for low output.
As Gunner said: some people may prefer it for their beam pattern however, I'm NOT one of those. For me, the colour, efficiency and heat removal ability of the high powered LEDs far outweigh the beam pattern of 5mm LEDs.

jimdays: Flashlight manufacturers take time to implement newer LEDs into their products especially the bigger guys. Once newer, more efficient LEDs are made available in smaller quantities we get hold of them and modify any existing light we have. The perfect replacement for the Luxeon LED is the Seoul P4 LED. It effectively produces twice as much light for the same power input.

TMorita

Enlightened
The difference between a Maxbright LED and a Luxeon LED is a marketing department.

Toshi

woodentsick

Enlightened
I suspect that this is a big part of it.

Every Princeton Tec Eos, Apex, or Yukon HL that I've owned has had a Luxeon LED inside. But, by calling the LED a "Maxbright" instead, PT is free to switch suppliers at any time (for example, if they decided to start using the Seoul P4).

Jimdays, it's common to switch out Luxeon LEDs for either: 1) Luxeon LEDs of better tint or brightness, or 2) Seoul or Cree LEDs that are roughly twice as efficient (and therefore twice as bright with no decrease in runtime).

Ohhh so on some websites they say the PT EOS has Luxeon LEDs but on some website they say the PT EOS has Maxbright LEDs, but they're the same? I was really confused over that issue but now I get it, thanks CPF! :thumbsup: