why is it brighter?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, why is that any flashlights looks brighter when someone else is holding it? Are we used to seeing it from normal perspective, like holding with your own hand? Or is it just me :thinking:

mighty82

Enlightened
We are a small group. So we are not used to see other people holding bright flashlights. If you were talking about when someone else is holding your flashlight.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, why is that any flashlights looks brighter when someone else is holding it? Are we used to seeing it from normal perspective, like holding with your own hand? Or is it just me :thinking:
Only thing I can think of is retro-reflection in fog. If the light is close to you, a lot of light gets backscattered and obscures the target you're lighting up. On the other hand, if someone else lights up a target and you view it from a different angle, you see the diffuse reflection off the target, without the backscatter obscuring your view.

The above assumes you're equal distance from the target being lit up. if you're actually physcally closer to the target being lit up than the person holding the light, it will obviosuly appear much brighter as there's less distance for the light to disperse.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
If your eyes are dilated to complete darkness that could be a factor. While, as the operator of the light your eyes have had a chance to dilate to that brightness level.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Flashlight knows when it is being held by a flashaholic and dims itself so it leave the flashaholic wanting more. The flashaholic then buys a new light that is supposed to be brighter then his or her current light.

It's a way to make us spend more money.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a psychological problem with weight lifting. Compared to most people I'm huge (usually ranging between 253-260lbs.) But if I'm out and about and I see another person who looks remotely like they might lift weights, my mind freaks out. I start thinking "Oh man, that dude's bigger than me, I gotta hit the gym harder" No joke, crazy problems. Welcome to addiction.:shrug:

LG&M

Enlightened
I don't know why but I know what you mean. On the 4th my son was using my LOD-CE P4 (I was hording my new D10) & I remember thinking it was putting off a good amount of light almost to much for the task of finding the next firework to light off.

Valolammas

Enlightened
Because when you hold the light, it points away from you. When somebody else holds it, they probably can't resist pointing it at you.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean with the same light.

i realized it when my son was holding my L2D-CE. I was thingking, that light is BRIGHT then i realized i am spoiled by too many bright lights :)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is the sun brighter when you stare at it than when you look at the lit up ground? Because you can see the source of the light, where it's at its brightest. It's the same with flashlights. If you can see the emitter, it will be brighter than if you look at what it lights up.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why? Quite simple........ Jealousy!

"Wow that seems bright give it too me now." Then when you have it, it then seems inadequate and you no longer want it. It happens to all people (myself included) and its not just limited to flashlights but everything ranging from food to jobs to women! lol. Whoops didn't mean to mention last one there - thinking out loud.

I hope that answers it.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've noticed this sometimes too. I think it just have to do with perspective. I visited my Uncle who lives on 12 acres of pine forest. We were shining my collection from a balcony deck about 20 feet above the ground. I had gone down stairs to do something and can walking back out. I saw him shinning a light from up top and saw the light hitting the forest floor and trees from my perspective and thought wow! That must be my 35W Microfire HID. When I got up there I was amazed to see that it was a 10W EZnite HID producing about 1/4 the lumens. It helped that it was pitch black out than evening too.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed this sometimes too. I think it just have to do with perspective. I visited my Uncle who lives on 12 acres of pine forest. We were shining my collection from a balcony deck about 20 feet above the ground. I had gone down stairs to do something and can walking back out. I saw him shinning a light from up top and saw the light hitting the forest floor and trees from my perspective and thought wow! That must be my 35W Microfire HID. When I got up there I was amazed to see that it was a 10W EZnite HID producing about 1/4 the lumens. It helped that it was pitch black out than evening too.

SPOT ON! that is what excatly what i meant. It is seems brighter when other then yourself is holding it :)