Work light recommendations

robbied

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

As a security officer a good light is quite important. Last year I did a lot of reading and research and ended up buying the Fenix L2DCE. I have been running it on eneloops, using it on a daily basis at work. Overall I am very happy, I've had no problems whatsoever.

Now im thinking of upgrading to something brighter with slightly better throw while keeping the excellent runtime I experienced with the L2DCE. I've been catching up on technology released since I bought mine including the Cree Q5.

I've been looking at the Fenix TK11. Out of all the lights i've seen I cannot find one that can match the output, runtime and price of the TK11. Being a Fenix I know its reliable. I would run it on protected Ultrafire 18650 for the extra runtime they provide.

Any other lights worth looking at that would meet my needs?

Last edited:

1dash1

Enlightened
Any other lights worth looking at that would meet my needs?

Robbied:

The TK11 is an excellent choice.

You might also check out the "thrower" Dereelight CL1H V4, the "do-it-all" JetBeam Jet III PRO IBS, and the "workhorse" Fenix P3D Q5. They all sound like they may suit your purpose.

I'd suggest that you reconsider buying the Ultrafire 18650's. They are notorious for over-representing the capacity of their cells. They also do not have the best protection. If you do a quick search of this website and the CPF Marketplace website, I think you'll find that the consensus opinion is that AW's Li-ion cells are worth the few dollars difference. This is especially true for your line of business.

And please be aware of the dangers inherent in rechargeables:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172991

mighty82

Enlightened
The trustfire 18650's are pretty good. They have been confirmed to hold the capacity they promise. Even more than the aw cells.

robbied

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys, especially about the 18650's. For me the TK11 looks to be the best overall, now i've got to find some of those trustfire cells...

Buck

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys, especially about the 18650's. For me the TK11 looks to be the best overall, now i've got to find some of those trustfire cells...

I would recommend NOT thinking that the Trustfire cells are really cheaper than AW in the long run. I got a 2-pack of blue Trustfire 18650s last month, and one stopped working after the second charge. I assume the board is bad and that I can pull it off and run it unprotected, but I don't yet have a light that has low voltage cutoff. So, I now have a $10 Trustfire protected cell. We'll see how long that one lasts...

If the TK11 needs protected cells, I think you'd be better off paying the extra few bucks for an AW and have a cell you can trust (vs. "Trust") at work. You can still carry the L2D for backup if it should run down during a shift.

There's good value, then there's just cheap. Some DX stuff seems to fall in each of these categories.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Plus 1 on the Trustfire's being good and all of the recommendations you received.

For your purposes I would stay with the TK11 because of the superior spill. The Deree and Jetbeam III IBS (I have both) would be great too but if the TK11's spill is anything like the Fenix T1, I would go with that one first for you. The P3D would be great too and can take rechargeables but you'll have to use the RCR123's which will not give you the runtime you want. I'm assuming you want rechargeables only.

robbied

Newly Enlightened
I will most likely get the AW cells as their available locally (Aus) for a lower price than ordering the trustfires.

Wattnot I do need some spill as you say (to light up rooms etc.). I looked at the P3D but was attracted to the TK11 because of its superior runtime.

mighty82

Enlightened
Are the AW cells available locally in autralia?? For a lower price than the trusfire cells?? Less than $5 a battery?? :thinking:

mighty82

Enlightened
$12 AU is not bad at all. Btw.. I have ordered from DX about 100 times, and the last time I checked the shipping was still free worldwide :thinking: And they are $10 for 2 :whistle:

Wattnot

Enlightened
Never mind DX for that . . .buy your Fenixes (or any light they sell) from www.fenix-store.com and use code CPF8 at checkout for 8% off.

They are the best place for Fenix purchases and sell other good stuff too.