Night Geocaching (with lights of course!!)

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I bought a handheld Garmin GPSmap76 GPS unit 3 weeks ago and I've been dipping my toe into the field of geocaching. I've located 5 caches so far and I'm planning on looking for lots more. It seems to be a fascinating hobby and appeals to me as a standard issue geek. As a big bonus, by getting out in the big outdoors, I get some much needed exercise. This would combine the thrill of flashlight use with the challenges of geocaching.

I use Google Earth and www.geocaching.com for my cache search planning.

Concerning flashlights, I'm thinking of carrying an old Arc AAA around my neck for viewing the GPS screen (thus avoiding backlight use) and a medium thrower like a Fenix L1D. In my backback, I'd carry an Eternalight Marine for backup for its long battery life. A headlamp would also be useful for walking through the woods and underbrush. So far, I haven't tried a night-time search.

Any tips, advice or experiences anyone?

Edit: If you're in the boonies like I am, make sure to carry a cell phone in case you fall and hurt yourself or have other issues.

Last edited:

jchoo

Enlightened
What are you doing for trinkets? I think some DX Fauxtons would be great to leave behind for the next person. Sounds like a lot of fun.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't focussed a lot on trinkets. So far, I've left pocket change which thrills kids who enjoy geocaching perhaps more than adults. I'll probably buy a batch of trinkets at a dollar store to spice up my contributions. At one cache, I left a small plastic reflector with an LED that blinks. It'd be useful for walking at night.

addictedmatt

Enlightened
I've been caching for a while, never at night though. Sounds fun, might make it a little harder. I'm interested to hear from somebody with experience. I wonder how much unwanted attention you might attract?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been caching for a while, never at night though. Sounds fun, might make it a little harder. I'm interested to hear from somebody with experience. I wonder how much unwanted attention you might attract?
Unwanted attention is a definite concern, especially if you live in an urban area. Fortunately, I live in a rural area, so it's less of an issue. Most caches (all maybe?) are on public land so even if someone stops you, there shouldn't be a problem. YMMV.

SheDevil

Newly Enlightened
Venonium 263 is a favorite of ours but is not currently up and running. You can look it up on geocaching.com It REQUIRES an ultraviolet light and a multi cache as well. We have looked for geocaches at night as well. Most caches are placed where you wont bother people day or night. Some however are very difficult to find in the dark. Have fun its a great hobby.
:party:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a link to the geocache Venonium 263:

<Link is busted - WTH?>

California is famous for the off-beat :naughty:

Using UV glow powder or other such materials is a wrinkle I hadn't thought of. Mulls possibilities, scratches chin....

Edit: Venonium 263 link is busted. There are a few strange things going on with this one. I think people are playing games with this one. Have fun.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Night geocaching is very cool indeed. The more remote the cooler.

I do suffer from wanting a lot of light at hand for spooks and emergencies, so although your lights you mention are great as they are, I'd add a decently large and powerful light for reassurance as well! Not talking maxabeam or Beast here, just a torch with a bit of heft. We tend to take 3D or 4D LED modded Mags with us. Great for finding deer or cows that shuffle and chuff off in the dark. Your average L1D or headtorch won't illuminate very far and it's cool to see the beam of a focussed thrower stab out into a misty night!

Even better if you get an aspherical lens too!!!

We also take those telescopic hiking sticks. Lots of thorny brambles around here!!!

Fauxtons are great trinkets! I've left many in caches here in the South of England.

Happy cacheing.

Be lucky...

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Night geocaching is very cool indeed. The more remote the cooler.

I do suffer from wanting a lot of light at hand for spooks and emergencies, so although your lights you mention are great as they are, I'd add a decently large and powerful light for reassurance as well! Not talking maxabeam or Beast here, just a torch with a bit of heft. We tend to take 3D or 4D LED modded Mags with us. Great for finding deer or cows that shuffle and chuff off in the dark. Your average L1D or headtorch won't illuminate very far and it's cool to see the beam of a focussed thrower stab out into a misty night!

Even better if you get an aspherical lens too!!!

We also take those telescopic hiking sticks. Lots of thorny brambles around here!!!

Fauxtons are great trinkets! I've left many in caches here in the South of England.

Happy cacheing.

Be lucky...
I can see the occasional need for a really bright thrower, but for most of the time, I wouldn't need the range, plus it tends to blind you when pointed at close objects and underbrush. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have one in the backpack, though. Thanks.

Do you have a name or brand for the telescopic hiking sticks? They sound useful for balance on very uneven ground. PB

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
As for the trinkets to leave,,,

We have sig cards made up. Of course, it has this site listed on it as one of my favs. But attatched to the sig card, is one of the less than a dollar led lights you can pick up around here. If I am listed as Bright Scouter, I have to leave a flashlight, and something to do with Boy Scouts in each cache I find.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've done night caching a couple times. It was fun with friends, frustrating when alone.

It's almost impossible to not draw attention when you are searching under a bench with a light.

I leave the little coin cell led lights as trinkets, with a 'gadget lover' sticker on the side. I have only logged 175 caches at the moment, and need to log the 9 I found last weekend.

Tis a fun pastime.

Daniel

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a name or brand for the telescopic hiking sticks? They sound useful for balance on very uneven ground. PB

I purchased four from our local branch of Tesco's which is a hypermarket style shop that does seasonal products. They were about £9 each, which is a huge bargain. I've compared them to some branded sticks that my mate has and they were identical!!! :thumbsup: At a fraction of the price.

Go for what feels good, the ones which have sprung locking joints are best ( I.E. they give a little when you bear down on them, but spring up after, rather like a shock absorber.)

Some gaiters might be a good investment too, but I can't find any here that are big enough for me! Fat calves I suppose!!

Happy cacheing!

Be lucky...

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been nighttime geocaching with friends now for a few years. It is a great reason to get some exercise, share stories, drink some good scotch, and play with our toys (GPS, backpacks, lights, climbing gear, etc.).

I guess I'm the lead gearhead, with the wildest lights and blades. We all use Garmins (most have the 60CSx, me included).

More often than not we now just hike. We try to find off-the-beaten-track areas, though have a few favorites in the immediate vicinity of our homes. We've come across all types of wildlife (as well as some strange-acting humans...) and even come across a few fresh animal kills along the way.

I could spend hours sharing stories...

Trinkets? Go to LightHound and pick up a bunch of fauxtrons. Great giveaway, and useful too. I've also picked up a bunch of waterproof match cases and often leave those, as they are great for other geocachers to hold their logs in, their matches, batteries, etc.

A checklist:
  • We always have at least one cell phone with us, though somtimes we are well out of range.
  • We keep a FRS/GMRS radion on each of us, set to the same channel.
  • Some good scotch.
  • A few good cigars.
  • Extra paracord.
  • Printed geocaching notes.
  • GPS (du-uh)
  • Some more good scotch.
  • Some really great stories.
  • Headlamp.
  • Spare cells.
  • Thousands of dollars of flashlights and blades. OK, perhaps that's just me. :)
  • A lighter and matches, and I always carry a magnesium flint.
  • If the hike is really in the boonies, we inform our families of where we'll be and when to expect us home.
  • If in the boonies, I'll sometimes bring along some climbing gear (rope, harness, gear, etc)
  • Long hike? Water.
  • A good walking stick or two (I have several pair, du-uh). Great for helping balance when walking, and necessary for turning over leaves, old tree trunks, probing into holes looking for the cache.
  • A pen or two. The ones in the caches are always dead.
  • A camera to capture the festivities, or of your buddy being an idiot. Again.
  • Those shiny space blankets- once on a geocache in the woods 300 yards from the nearest house I came across a guy who'd fallen into a stream and badly broken his shoulder. His buddy was in the street calling and waiting for the emergency services. The blanket helped keep him from going into shock.
  • Always let the new guy be on point. Lesson learned from watching years of Star Trek. They are always the first to "go."
  • Did I mention scotch?:whistle:
Hope that helps! Kudos on a fun and adventerous hobby!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest posts