Mag tail switches

James35

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to purchase/make some Mag C and D tail switches. Since I have fallen in love with the D2DIM, mine will be momentary. This will allow me to have both the side switch and the tail switch on the same flashlight! Very cool!

MagClickie (for Mag C) is currently unavailable, and isn't momentary either. So does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would need to run wires from the tailswitch to the d2dim module and you could not use a standard tailswitch either.

When using a d2dim the switch is not connecting / disconnecting the power.

Power is permanantly applied to the module and the switch connects to the module which draws 100uA when off. The positive contact in the switch is bypassed - does not connect to the mag switch contacts like most other setups.

So I don't think this is really practicle :(

edit:
This is what I was looking for.
Pics of switch wiring for a d2dim mod:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/200557

a picture is worth a thousand words..

Last edited:

James35

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Erasmus, I'll contact Mac.

Chodes,
Yes, I know. I've build a light before using a D2DIM (it's a lot of work, but well worth it). the D2DIM is now my favorite driver. I am aware that the tailswitch would require wires, but there is 2 things that will help. #1, the wires don't really carry any real current, so they can be lightweight. #2, In my Mag C and D flashlights, I plan on using A123 or 18650's so there will be plenty of room for the wires to travel alongside the batteries.

Anyone else have any suggestions for making/purchasing some Mag tail switches?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Chodes is right, it not very practical running a tailswitch with a D2DIM.

As you know the D2DIM is connected to power at all times & switches on using a momentary actions switch. Unlike common switches that connect & disconnect the power. The D2DIM requires at least one switch connection. The other connection from the switch can be connected to the body ground.

If you mount the D2DIM close to the head then you will need to run one wire through the body to the tailcap switch & the tailcap switch must be grounded there.

If you mount the D2DIM you could make the necessary connections there but you would then have to run a wire for battery positive through the body to connect to the battery positive.

Because of this connection you would then need a connector for which ever wire is run through the body to allow you to remove the tailcap. On top of that you will have to figure out how to get around that wire twisting when unscrewing the tailcap.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain here. The whole key here is the D2DIM is connected to power at all times unlike the common switch were are all used to that connects the power only when the switch is turned on.

James35

Newly Enlightened
As I mentioned, I've already built a D2DIM flashlight and I have a full understanding of how to wire it. Plus I plan on adding a charging jack so the 18650 battery won't have to be removed very often. I know wiring this baby up will be difficult, but the end result will be outstanding. I am determined to give it a try.

So back to my original reason for posting, I'm looking for materials to make a tail switch, or someone who is selling them. Thank you.

Latest posts