The Inova X1 Master Thread: The Countdown

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone and thanks Sasha!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could gather all Inova X1 related info in one thread? The rumors, the hype, the why:s and why not:s, etc. Yes, it would!

I for one am very excited about this light, scheduled for release sometime between "late April" and "early summmer". The X1 also rates high in the "So, what LED lights are you waiting for?" thread.

I like the fact that it is regulated, AA powered, reasonably small (3.914" long), runs for 10 hours, comes with a lens, and looks like its big brother, the X5T, which is one of the best looking and toughest lights around.

The Infinitys and Arc AAA:s are up for some competition if you ask me.

To get you all started, here are some cool pics and a few specs to serve as inspiration:

<font color="#cccccc">Inova X1 Sneak Preview</font>

Thank you for your cooperation.

Raven

Enlightened
As far as I know, there isn't even a release date for this light, but it's definitely on my list.

I just don't know how much different it can actually be compared to an Infinity. I think performance wise, they will be fairly equal, but the Inova X1 could offer two slight advantages. One being a more centered led, and the other being a more scratch resistant case.

Raven

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
In theory the lens will focus the LED's beam a lot better than the "reflectors" on the Infinity. That, the regulated output and the momentary tail switch/button make this a better light than the Infinity although the size difference might negate some of the benefit as this will probably be too big for a keychain. If Inova follows it's own lead (overdriving the LEDs in the X5T) then this should be brighter than the regular Infinity and will hopefully be brighter than the Ultra.

Anyone notice the new shape of the X5T? No more sharp edged fluting!!!!

Jon

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kim...I preordered mine from TAD in the first part of Feb. I've since e-mailed Evan at TADGear twice to see if there'd been any new word on it's tentative release date. When I first ordered it, TAD showed a release date of March 23rd. In March the site changed and just said "coming this spring". Evan's response to my last e-mail said they hope to have them by the first week of May. It's getting close, and I'm really looking forward to getting this light! Right now my favorite EDC is my Ultra-G. Because the lights are designed differently, I don't see the X1 "replacing" my Ultra-G...but complementing it. TWO regulated/1XAA size/pocketable lights...one for flood type use, and one for throw/spot type use. I'm PUMPED about this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif!!!

PJD

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mattz357 said:
Any word on price or color availability?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read somewhere (can't exactly remember where /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif) that they'll be available in two body colors: black and titanium, and 4 LED colors: white, red, blue and green. I didn't recall seeing anything about a UV model...Price at TADGear was $24.95...FYI

PJD

C

Cosmic Superchunk

In an email I received from Emissive Energy, the X1 is scheduled for release at the end of April.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also eagerly awaiting this light - this one and the Yukon. I plan on carrying it on my keychain, where I currently have an Infinity. Or to put it differently, there's a keychain attached to my Infinity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since I don't EDC a regular light, I need some alternative that's with me all the time. Arc AAA, which I respect much, and Photons just don't have adequate runtime, and since I could get caught without even a medium range torch, I love the idea of a lense.

With it's 10 hour runtime, use of common AA batteries (my favorite), and medium throw capabilities, I couldn't be more pleased. The funny thing is, I usually think of what I want first, then wait for a manufacturer to make it. With the X-1, Inova's brains were ahead of me.

Hat's off to Inova! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think that the Arc and Infinity will have some serious competition when the new Inova comes out.
Then again, if the Inova has a focused beam, it might stand on its own merits as a light that really hasn't been made before - unless you count the Starlite 213R. But the Starlite isn't water resistant and is definitely not impact resistant either - so no competition there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had the opportunity to carry a X-1 for two days and loved it. HOWEVER it is not like any other LED light I have used. The beam is Extemely focused. It reminds me of a stage/production light. A perfect round even circle when projected on a wall. My model ran over 10 hours on a single AA batery while I had it. Remember I had a pre-production model. Who knows what actual production run time will be.
http://www.countycomm.com/inovax1.htm

iddibhai

Enlightened
wow, a real spotter then, like the led lenser moon lenser. i thought it was a medium spot, halfway between a full on bare LED flood and a spot. heck, i'd still get it! McHappy for flood, X1 for throw yeah!

hmm, i smell an LS "mcflood" in the future using the X1 as a body...perhaps with a user insertable optic; flood or throw, your call... hmmmm.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Frank! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I am very eager to try these out in red and green.

The Inova X1 Master Thread: POLL

I was going to start a poll here about peoples color preferances (reguarding the X1) but decided that it should probably be it's own thread. So I will start one elsewhere.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Anyone else notice the pair of headlights in Frank's avatar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A man after our hearts... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dern, I hand't but WOW, now that I go back and look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can I add those to my wish list?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jon

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone and thanks for all the input to this thread!

There's definitely a lot of interest in this light, that's for sure.

Several people have mentioned the focusing ability of the lens. It might be interesting to note that Doug Ritter of Equipped to Survive fame considers this a potential drawback. I don't have the direct link here, but if you go the website and click on the 2003 SHOT Show report and then further on to the Flashlight section you'll find it. Doug takes a first look at a number of lights, some of which are using focusing lenses. Some he has tried, others not. He doesn't seem to have had a chance to actually test the X1 though, so we don't know.

Oh, I see that Frank knows! Question to Frank (and anyone else who might have tried it): is the tight beam a good thing or a bad thing?

Frank, also nice to see a dealer chip in! I don't know if everyone noticed but there's a link to CountyComm's Top Secret Sneak Preview in the first post of this thread. Very nice pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pricewise: Meridian Tactical also has them on preorder and sale! Price is $22,95.

Colorwise: there's no need for any poll Frank, we want both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Sorry, seriously I should head off to that poll.

On a sidenote (before I take the poll), Stonedog, you're correct in that the edges of the new X5T are very smooth! I didn't try the first revision, I just read about the sharp edges in TheLIGHTsite's review. They have been fixed, trust me. All the X5T needs now is regulation, and it will be near perfect!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my purposes, described above, I prefer a spotter. This was discussed on another thread, and the concensus was that if you only have one light, it's better to have a spotter. This is because you can always move it around if you have to, but you're helpless to do anything about a light with inadequate throw.

Also, I figure for room illumination, the spot doesn't matter. You can shine it off a ceiling, which is what a lot of people do anyway. Just don't stick your head in the beam path. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

N162E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:
Anyone else notice the pair of headlights in Frank's avatar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He has my attention!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:

[/ QUOTE ]

And what is attached to them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sorry about going OT...

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must be missing something, I keep reading that this is going to give Arc some serious competition. Why? This thing looks huge compared to an ARC AAA. Don't get me wrong; it looks to be a cool light, but if I were Peter, I don't think I would be losing much sleep over the X1. I'm not sure that I would even consider this a Key Chain light and if it's not what market is it trying to capture? For just a little larger size you can get the X5 or other high powered 123a light. I'm sure someone will bring up the commonly found battery point, but look what's happening lately with the price of the 123a's. What am I'm missing?