? about the Insight H2x Typhoon 2

yzfmik

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty new to the high quality flashlight world and am interested in the Insight H2x Typhoon 2. I have a Streamlight Scorpion LED and want something a bit better. I am a firefighter and want something pretty tough since I carry it with me most of the time. I found the Typhoon 2 for $149 and was wondering what some opinions are on it, I haven't been able to find any reviews. Everything I found on the Gladius seems positive so I hope the same goes for the H2x. I like that it is brighter (120 Lumens vs 80) and I love the dimming ability. Is this a good light for $150 price range? Also how does it compare to the Surefire U2, I have had some experience with that one too. Thanks for any help.....

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
The Typhoon II is kind of like an upgraded Gladius. It uses a P4 emitter. Yes, this light is the same light as the Gladius - only now with upgraded lamp. I do not own one, however, so I am not speaking from experience - just what I've read elsewhere.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
have both the Gladius and the Typhoon 2. both are very nice lights. i definitely can recommend them.

Typhoon 2 has the smooth tailcap to make it easier to carry in a pocket. this tailcap is the only substandard aspect to this light. it appears to be a "kludge" of sorts with a smooth flexible skirt. it is more difficult to locate and line up the pin and groove for proper tailcap assembly. whereas the Gladius was easy to feel with it's non-smooth tailcap, the Typhoon 2 typically takes me two or three tries to line up the pin and groove before i can began to tighten the tailcap. whether this is a peculiarity of my particular light or not, i don't know, but i get the impression that the cheezy flexible skirt extension on the tailcap is causing me some of my woes in this area. the Gladius is almost always a first and only attempt to replace the tailcap - no problems at all.

both lights have a very well defined small central spot w/o a lot of spill. so, be aware of this too.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Typhoon is a clone, not made by Blackhawk/Night-Ops. It's manufactured by Insight (and Insight never made the Gladius light).

I have a Typhoon2, and it's a good light, however, the electronics went bad on it, and was sent to Insight for repair. The repaired light works fine.

-dan

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Typhoon is a clone, not made by Blackhawk/Night-Ops. It's manufactured by Insight (and Insight never made the Gladius light).

I have a Typhoon2, and it's a good light, however, the electronics went bad on it, and was sent to Insight for repair. The repaired light works fine.

-dan

???? you've gotten me a bit confused by your Post. can you explain please? many thanks.

yzfmik

Newly Enlightened
I too am confused, all my research has stated that Insight made the Gladius for Blackhawk. My main ? here was is the Insight a good light for $150 or should I be looking at something else?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am confused, all my research has stated that Insight made the Gladius for Blackhawk. My main ? here was is the Insight a good light for $150 or should I be looking at something else?

+1. Insight apparently, based upon secondary sources, claims to have made the Glad. if they didn't, this would have resulted in legal action on the part of Blackhawk i would imagine.

however, while i also disagreed mentally w/the other Poster's contention in this regard, but not in writing until the prev. paragraph of this Post, my confusion was actually related to another matter.

my confusion resulted fr/the fact that he replied to me, and i'm still confused as to how his Post was a reply to something i had Posted since his Post seemed to address, even if perhaps erroneous in content, an issue which was not even raised in my Post.

so, i'm guessing that maybe he meant to reply to the another Post in the Thread, but didn't want to assume and wanted his confirmation in that regard just in case there was something i needed to clarify in my prev. Post. that was unclear.

as far as your ? goes, i am not at all sorry that i purchased a Typhoon 2. it is a very fine light.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Typhoon 2 is made by Insight Ii don't have the Typhoon 2 but I use y Typhoon constantly and use it on duty (I am a LEO) so I trust it with my life. IIRC Insight has the patent on the light and they do make the Gladuis for Blackhawk. It is a very good light and $150 for the Typhoon 2 is a very good price.

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
Everything I have read says that Insight made the Gladius. I have a Gladius and a Typhoon. The Gladius is working great, the Typhoon went to Iraq where it died after 14 months in country with my son. He did not bring it back for me to examine so I have no idea what caused it's early demise.

yzfmik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your help, I just ordered 3 Typhoon 2's. I am a firefighter, myself and my 2 partners will put them to good use.