Brass Light

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
fc573bd1.jpg

A "little" weekend project.

fc573bd4.jpg

Uses three type 393 silver cells with a front twist on/off.

fc573bd0.jpg

Size comparision to one made to "Mil Specs". With a luck of the draw led the beams are fairly close to being the same. Run time? Well I wouldn't try to change a transmission on a cold windy night with it, but it should be only a bit less than a Photon.

fc573bd6.jpg

Better idea of the size.

fc573bd3.jpg

A pair of real jewels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
Hmmmmmm!
Looks like competition for the WTKP. Keyring! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Just wasn't in my plans. Hmmmmm! Three silver cells and I got four going, 393s you say I went for four 392s myself. Nice twisty on/off switching/keyring/compact. I have to admit yours looks a little more user friendly then the WTKP./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Just for fun we should do a micro lux off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I have been looking into an even small project useing 317 cells but have just not put any effort into it yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
fce4edee.jpg

I made fifteen of the WTKPs for stocking stuffers this last Christmas. I stepped them up to a 10,000 mcd white LED from Superbrightleds and reworked the switch so it works as constant on and momentary. The switches aren't the greatest and battery changes look to be more work then yours but they went over well.
That's a very cool little light you have there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Thanks to all for the comments.

May build a few more (engineers are never satisfied),but not to sell.

Wylie, you mean a micro smackdown??

Roth..., made it all out of one piece of brass on my Harbor F.. mini lathe. Made the 12.1 caret blue spinel on my faceting machine about six years ago just before my eyes started to go bad.

Now, where did I put that piece of titanium???

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
harbor f??? wooot!

i have a hf...if i ever get some real tools... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

do you have the 7 x 10?

man...can the hf do ti?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Micro Smackdown? That sounds like an answer to a challenge to me.

Titanium? That would be titillating...hard on the lathe but I think you are messing with us.

Whatever you build, for whatever the reason; I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see it. Very nice light, sir.

Wylie

Enlightened
Oh D*mn,
I didn't know my foot fit into my mouth until I read this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Looks like I may need to get some more of the 10,000s and some new batteries soon. Are we going for pink slips or what? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif As long as it doesn't include a form function assessment and is based on straight lux readings from the original posted micros designs we have here in this thread, I'm in for a little (pun intended) micro luxoffsmackdown. Lack of tools puts me at a real disadvantage here if would be allowed an excuse before this gets started. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
The question is who has the light meter, when this will happen and will they ship (me) the winner the micros after I win! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Wylie;

After close to fifty years as an Engineer I know a lot of places a foot fits, and not necessarily my foot or my body.

Lacking a common light meter we will have to call the Virtual MicroLux Smackdown a no decision. Also I tried 4 392s in the prototype and it really cooked at 60ma (with an expected burn time of 10 minutes). Three 393s dropped it to 30ma.

Wylie

Enlightened
whiskypapa3,
That was just a bunch of joking around and smack talk. I probably dropped the life of the LEDs some but they are pretty bright for what they are.
That's stange you got a burn time of ten minutes because I got a lot more useable light then that from the WTKPs. At ten hours of constant use the light is ready for new batteries and light is very low.
Honestly I just don't think it matters all that much. I like what you have built.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Ah Ha! I found it. My 36" piece of 13/16" x .030 wall titanium tube..

fc53b6fe.jpg

Lopped off a 4" hunk and ground the ends square, lots of pretty white sparks. Now to measure, remeasure and measure again and see how I can fit a 123, optics, 1W LS, BadBoy, heat sink and a Kroll tail switch in it.

If the ex-shop manager is reading this "Can you spell Statute of Limitations"..

He got a 20' piece to make a pair of crutches for the VP of R&D after the VP broke his leg sking. I liberated the "scrap". I made earrings out of the small pieces, flame anodized them to various shades of purple. A happy secretary is a fast typist and perfect speller even if she isn't in your department.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow!

err...titanium has horrible thermal properties, i would be very careful when using a luxeon star.

are you sure the lathe can cut that?
what kind of tooling are you using?