Maglite 2D help, incan or LED?

jhMadCow

Newly Enlightened
Hi I've been searching this forum and others as well, but I can't really make up my mind. I have a Maglite 2D (I know nothing special) and I want to make it a little more high powered than it is at the moment. I have multiple power sources I could use. I have already have 2 D cell Nimh batterys, and a other 2/3 nimh cells. So right now I'm not worried about power, I'm worried about the light source. I've read about people using the kpr 112 and 118 lights from radio shack. If I got one of those lights I would run them on 9.6v (8 cells @1.2v a cell), now I've heard that overdriving them reduces the life span of them by a lot. How long would KPR112 last on 9.6volts, not the battery life, but the bulb life? I want something that doesn't have to be regulary replaced. What about the KPR118? which is better the 112 or 118. Then when I start looking at the LED solutions I'm just overwhelmed, and I don't know how much all of this is going to cost. I have a lathe and some alum that I think I can turn down to make a heatsink for an LED. But I don't know which LED to even look at. Can someone help me please? I'm possibly willing to put $50 into this, but not much more than that. Mabye I could be talked into putting a bit more into it. Thanks

jhMadCow

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about doing the ROP mod. I've seen that stickie before, but haven't payed much attention to it. I'm going to go through and see how much money it would take to do the ROP mod.

jhMadCow

Newly Enlightened
Hahah that looks very nice. The only thing I think will get in the way is that my serial number doesn't start with a D.

Last edited:

jhMadCow

Newly Enlightened
of course mabye i'm looking at the wrong s/n?

mine is 21251598, does that seem like the s/n that i'm supposedly looking for?

jhMadCow

Newly Enlightened
no panther.

BTW i'm looking at the ROP some more. I'm really liking it, doesn't seem too expensive, and I like the idea of me putting something together, rather than buying the drop in module.

EDIT: My only problem is, what reflector do I want? :p. I'm not sure if I want to flood or if I want a throw.....

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then it's definitely too old for a Malkoff Device. Go for the ROP.

BTW, If you're curious as to when your light was manufactured, you can email Maglite and they will tell you approximately when it was made by your serial number.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I would advise as far as the ROP goes, is don't skimp on the battery adapter or the batteries. Fivemega makes one of the best adapters and eneloops are well worth the money.

jhMadCow

Newly Enlightened
The only thing I would advise as far as the ROP goes, is don't skimp on the battery adapter or the batteries. Fivemega makes one of the best adapters and eneloops are well worth the money.

I was thinking about soldering up some 2/3 NIMH cells to make a pack. Those should work shouldn't they?

jhMadCow

Newly Enlightened
Mabye i'm naming the wrong sized cells. I'll get some measurements on them later on tonight, but I know they are small enough that I won't have to bore out the body.

mdocod

Flashaholic
maybe he was thinking side-by-side.

You can fit 2/3A cells side by side in a mag, and 3 long will easily fit in the space of 2Ds.

jhMadCow

Newly Enlightened
maybe he was thinking side-by-side.

You can fit 2/3A cells side by side in a mag, and 3 long will easily fit in the space of 2Ds.

Ok, I was pretty sure I could. Something that I thought about, how much current does ROP mod pull? Those cells shouldn't have a hard time should they? I'm going to use a deans connector to connect the pack to the light and to charge with. I have a duratrax ICE charger so that's not a problem. What guage wire should I use?

cfromc

Enlightened
Mine pulls about 4.0 amps. It cost about $100 including the $12 for the host and the cost of the charger. If you already have a host, batteries, and charger you are half-way there. You just need an aluminum reflector, UCL or Borofloat glass, and the bulb. The reflector is about $30 for a good one, UCL $6 and bulb set $8. After that you can perform some of the resistance mods, some are cheap and some aren't but you will have the basic ROP already.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want low price, I think the KD ones will work. The ROP has a good amount of output so I think even with the textured reflector, you'll get a good amount of throw.

Don't forget a glass window(lens). The plastic one will melt.

ROP high takes around 4 amp.

jhMadCow

Newly Enlightened
Mine pulls about 4.0 amps. It cost about $100 including the $12 for the host and the cost of the charger. If you already have a host, batteries, and charger you are half-way there. You just need an aluminum reflector, UCL or Borofloat glass, and the bulb. The reflector is about $30 for a good one, UCL $6 and bulb set $8. After that you can perform some of the resistance mods, some are cheap and some aren't but you will have the basic ROP already.

Could you link me to some of the resistance mods?