How Important is a Good UI...Really?

How important is a Good UI?

• Remember it for life?

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Just remember it long enough to set it up the way I want it?

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Kiss Only. UI? Who needs 'em?

Votes: 19 28.4%

• Total voters

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys I was wondering how important is a good UI. Are you the type of person who learns just enough to set up the light the way you want it and then forget it? Or do you commit it to memory forever?That is usually what I do unless it is really easy to remember.What do you guys do?

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same, otherwise I prefer really simple two or single stage (non-existent) UI. But I really am looking forward to picking up a new lf5xt to mess with.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I was going to answer your survey but :confused: It made no sense to me.

UI is the most important part of the flashlight. If I had a light with two settings ON/OFF, then a clicky would work. I HATE those programming ones. I bought one and even if it was programmable, I'd still hate it. I want high before I turn it on or low before I turn it on. Multi-clicks makes me choose at least minutes before, if it was programmable.

I like one switch for ON/OFF and another to choose the setting, that can be selected before I hit the on switch.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont really understand the poll answers...

To me UI is very important, UI basically means if its Single mode, or has twistie selection, or multi tap, or dual stage tail..etc, all the User Interfaces. Kiss, is also an example of a UI....

so how important is considering a UI when i make a purchase? VERY..

Crenshaw

1dash1

Enlightened
The D10 has reshaped the way that I view my lights.

In a binary world, I had a palette of lights to suit my range of needs. Each light had its purpose and did it well. If the situation dictated different lighting needs, I simply carried several different lights. And because no one light was perfect, I tended to carry a light only if required.

In an analog world, I have a light that can be ramped up or down to fit the need. The minimal amount of light will often do, whereas the previous options used to be fixed (much brighter!). And because it is easy (and fun) to do so, I tend to use the feature often. My use of lights is more benign, blending in with the night darkness, rather than radiating a wall of light to push away the night darkness.

And since it is fun, it's easy, it's convenient; I carry it all the time. I use it in situations where I never used to carry a light. It is my constant companion.

So, how important is a good U.I.? I'd say it is very important. :thumbsup:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
This poll doesn't make much sense to me either.

How important is a good UI? Shouldn't the answers be:

Very important
Somewhat important
Not important

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe those are the answers to the poll that you have created.

If you read my post then you might have a more clear understanding of where I am coming from.
All of the questions directly relate to how good a UI is. How?
Well If a UI is so good that I can easily remember it for life...
or just enough to use it to set the light up the way I want it
or UI's aren't a good thing and the KISS interface is for me.
I hope this clears things up for me.
IF not then just do your own poll.
Yaesumofo

This poll doesn't make much sense to me either.

How important is a good UI? Shouldn't the answers be:

Very important
Somewhat important
Not important

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Yaesumofo - I think I understand the confusion we have with the poll. If I assume a programmable multi-click UI only, it makes sense. If I add my SF-U2 UI, then it makes no sense. Are you referring only to programmable multi-clickers?

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the question doesn't "match" the poll answers too.
For me, it depends on the light. I buy some lights, just to play or to try out a new manufacturer, new emitter, etc. Usually cheaper model lights which I sometimes will give away to friends or family once I've had my fill of it. For these, I don't bother memorizing UI, I learn enough to play and that is is. Sometimes I strike gold and I decide, this light is worth keeping, then I will memorize more details. This happened for example with my LF2. Big hairy UI, but the light impressed me so much I was willing to take the time to learn it. There are a couple lights that I've bought with UIs so bad that I haven't given them out.
Then there are lights that I buy for my personal use. I usually prefer to have KISS lights here. Something that will work immediately without any time for rational thought. Push button for light, push harder for more light is my favorite. I do generally arry a multifunction light around with me as well for blinking signal whatever. Generally this is a photon proton, LF2, LF3. The Proton has an incredible UI, and I've spent the time memorizing the LF twisty UI so that I can access the basics without much conscious effort.
So I'm a mixed bag. I try out new stuff that I really won't put much effort into memorizing, I shop for and use KISS and give a couple more complex lights a chunk of memory.
With a couple exceptions, most lights work reasonably well even if you don't know the UI. So I don't consider UI to make or break a light as much as other factors like price, availability, durability, batery type. But it does affect my high end purchases. I won't pay $200 for a reverse clicke cycle mode light, even if it is bright and made of Ti.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesu, i think what Wade and myself are getting at is that a UI means user interface, whether its kiss or not, its still called a user interface.
and, a UI is very subjective, for example, you are a fan of a KISS UI while others may be a fan of the multi tap ui..

and i just dont understand, you dont have to memorise certain UIs

and i agree with phantom photon, sometimes a light is so versatile, its worth memorising the UI for..like the LF2X

Maybe what you were driving at is...."what is a good UI to you?"

Crenshaw

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you read my post then you might have a more clear understanding of where I am coming from.

OK guys I was wondering how important is a good UI. Are you the type of person who learns just enough to set up the light the way you want it and then forget it? Or do you commit it to memory forever?That is usually what I do unless it is really easy to remember.What do you guys do?

:thinking: :shrug: :D

It sounds like you are asking multiple questions. How important is a good UI, and what type of UI we like. Also you say "That is usually what I do unless it is really easy to remember." right after "Or do you commit it to memory forever?" which doesn't seem to make sense. Did you mean you usually set it up and forget it?

Anyway, I think I figured out what you were asking and went with remember it for life as I like UI's that I can learn and remember.

I have a Liteflux LF2, and a LF5. While I'll probably like these lights, I doubt I'll remember ALL their UI options for life without pulling out the manual, but I can remember enough to do what I need.

Right now I really like the UI on the Nitecore D10 and EX10.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well a user interface is just that the way we interact with the flashlight.
The U2? I would categorize as a KISS interface. It doesn't require that you have to remember a certain number of clicks and holds to achieve a certain result. You turn the light on and spin the selector to give the desired result.

Maybe the concept of this Poll and it's twisted answers are too complicated for some people just like some User interfaces are too complicated....Maybe

I find it interesting to see how people react when they are confronted with something that they are not expecting.

Just like the flashlight is generally NOT a complex device from a conceptual point of view neither is this poll.
But when confronted with a User interface which is confusing then the results are unpredictable. as are the results of this poll.

It just isn't that complicated. at least not from my point of view.
As I said before. Maybe another poll with the right questions and answers should be started in order to get a more correct result.
Yaesumofo

Yaesumofo - I think I understand the confusion we have with the poll. If I assume a programmable multi-click UI only, it makes sense. If I add my SF-U2 UI, then it makes no sense. Are you referring only to programmable multi-clickers?

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find myself setting and forgetting,for example,my lf3 is set super low and med,then 2 twists gets max if needed.Pretty simple once set.

Novatac is set
1= med high
2=super low
3= med low
push and hold from any is momentarty max.

Q3 flupic
1 is mega low
2 is med
3 max

D10 I find using as 2 level low or max,havent really had it long enought to get used to it.I do like the size,UI is ok ,but growing on me.I think we need to live with it for a bit before I can decide if I think its best.It is one f the whitest tints Ive seen,also its brighter than my NDI

NDI is set for low and max,very easy to change and store user level.

My veiw on any multi level light is its ability to conserve battety life.For that fact alone they are worth it to me as edc use.

Right now if I had to pick a favorite I would say Novatac,I always know what Im going to get,and its the lowest low I have,(Q3 flupic with cree q3) is relly close and has no rings.(my biggest complaint with cree)

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like KISS UI's so I learn enough to use the light and just refer to the manuals for other options. Depends on the light as well I think. With the Novatac and HDS EDC I learned how to access a lot of the options but with twisties like the Ra Twisty I just looked at the manual to reprogram it then forgot about it because the levels are now where I want them. Same with my LF5. I set it up a while back so if I wanted to change levels I would have to refer to the manual.