any of ya have a garden?after the salmenella scare?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
me i have one but me being a idiot just grew hot peppers lol i have like 22 plants i got that many figureing id kil like 20 of em but they all are doing well.just added a tomato plant yesterday

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i have enought to last the funny thing is they are doing so dang well

Empath

Flashaholic
That's what gardens are for. They're to grow what you like in them.

The salmonella problem isn't from home grown tomatoes or peppers. They don't know where exactly the infection is being introduced, but it's in commercial growing or processing somewhere. Eat all the home grown you like.

I've got a little bit of tomato plants. Oregon had such late running cool weather this year though, the tomatoes aren't yet ready.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love tomatoes empath.there is nothing like eating one thats till warm from the sun

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I read in the last few days that tomatoes are probably not the culprit. Seems that 900+ have contracted food poisoning and prepared salsa was the alledged host. Hot peppers were mentioned as a likely source.

Commercial tomatoes, not salmanella, drove me to begin growing tomatoes many years ago. Just no comparison between homegrown:D and safeway. I've been harvesting tomatoes from the garden for the last 3 weeks. Sungold cherry were first to ripen - Carmelo, Black Krim, and Siletz are all ripening now. They get as much or more attention as my lights.

Also harvested a bunch of cucumbers which began their pickling today.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
species of the genus Salmonella are found in the intestinal tract of birds (e.g., chickens - hence its rare presence in eggs), pigs, and cows - among others. it may or may not cause any symptoms in those animals. in addition some humans may be carriers and exhibit no symptoms (e.g., "Typhoid" Mary) and end up infecting others. so, lack of cleanliness and/or poor hygiene contribute to acquiring Salmonellosis food intoxication.

organic fertilizers (e.g. manure), wild animals, asymptomatic humans, contaminated processing machinery can all contribute to the contamination of the produce.

common sense: thoroughly wash all fruits and vegetables whether home grown or store bought. cook all eggs and foods w/eggs.

Chuck289

Enlightened
Whats funny is there is very likely a small percentage of dumb people who won't even eat their own home grown tomatoes, because they think there is something inherently wrong with all tomatoes..

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, ya got the makings for some killer salsa (maybe that's not such a good choice of words, huh?). Now if someone would just discover a Maalox tree......

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol bigiron 4 of the plants are haberno there so hot;. i made some hot wings last night

Aluminous

Enlightened
Whats funny is there is very likely a small percentage of dumb people who won't even eat their own home grown tomatoes, because they think there is something inherently wrong with all tomatoes..

People really used to think there was something inherently wrong with all tomatoes :laughing:

article about the history of tomatoes: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1370/is_v18/ai_3332958/print

For centuries the tomato had a bad name. Colonial Americans thought tomatoes were poisonous. ... Prejudice against the tomato persisted for a long time in the United States. Although Thomas Jefferson planted them in his garden in 1781 and the French inhabitants of New Orleans were raising tomatoes in the late 18th century, the rest of the country waited until, it is said, one day in 1820. On that day a Col. Robert Gibbon Johnson stood on the steps of the Salem County (N.J.) courthouse, ate a tomato in full view of an incredulous crowd of spectators, and didn't drop dead.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
please send all homegrown peppers and tomatoes to me...I will eat them ...I mean check them for salmenella and report back to you immediatly.One small salt shacker also if you have one to spare.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The reason for the majority of recent vegetable contamination problems lies in the hired help that picks it - they sometimes don't want to take the time to stop picking to use the restroom, so they simply defecate in the field, which then gets into the water/soil and the plants take it on. :barf:

So as long as you're not using your garden as a toilet, you should be fine.

DieselTech

Enlightened
I'm not too worried about the salmonella, as the wife and I have had a garden for the last few years. Turns out, she likes the fresh garden picked vegetables over the 'fresh' produce you can buy at the grocery store. Who'd a thunk it? :twothumbs

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The salmonella problem isn't from home grown tomatoes or peppers. They don't know where exactly the infection is being introduced, but it's in commercial growing or processing somewhere.

I have to disagree with you there. Those in charge, know where the salmonella problem came from. But it would be horribly politically incorrect to say it. It's rather obvious though....

A certain nation where American Growers can pay the workers much less money, a nation that has very lax heath standards for this particular industry, (as in, use of human "fertilizer.") and a nation that often imports tomatoes into the U.S.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I grow tomatoes in drilled/ventilated 5 gallon laundry buckets. They're doing great this time of year.

My wife & kids will kill me long before a tomato ever does. I make sure my family keeps its crap in the toilet, where it belongs.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bet we garden! Well, I shouldn't say "we" as I can't keep weeds alive. But my wife can grow corn and beans in gravel. It's just the two of us but we have a large garden anyway. We can/freeze all we have room to store so that most of the veggies we eat throughout the year come from our own garden. We sell a bit to a couple local produce stands and give lots away to neighbors and friends. We also have several fruit trees.

You haven't lived until you've shared a sun-warmed fig with the love of your life.

:buddies:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i sure wish i grew more tomatoes.or new some one localy who grew em id be able to trade peppers for em

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a friend once say that an individual was "so dumb he couldn't grow zuchinni". You gardeners know what he meant.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I had a friend once say that an individual was "so dumb he couldn't grow zuchinni". You gardeners know what he meant.

LOL... farmer humor.

My dad used to grow those in his yard and MAN those things were HEALTHY, I dont even recall him working too hard at them. They were pretty much on auto-pilot.

Curious... farmer-noob question.
Do any of you use miracle grow? What are the pros/cons? My dad used to use that stuff and he swore by it, but thats before we really cared about organics and stuff.

What would you suggest to get the most out of my tomato plants? any simple tips? Right now they are potted in perforated 5 gallon laundry buckets, with those wire-metal support cylinders around to keep them upright.

thanks!!.. this is a strange thread topic for a tech/gadget forum!!

Last edited: