Questions about the the Surefire Backup.....E1B

hotbossa

Newly Enlightened
OK, I own a few Fenix lights and frankly I am ready to get rid of them. I just feel uneasy about supporting a company that is from a Communist country! I don't care if they are good lights for the money I want to support USA based companies like Surefire.

OK, enought of my rant, I want to sell my P2D and purchase a Surefire backup. I am a little concerned with the clip. Does the clip feel strong on using both sides? Does it slip out of the pocket easily? Can I put the clip of a E1L on the E1B? How is the clickie tail cap....does it seem strong? I wish I could just go see one but no stores in my area have any of the fun Surefire lights. Thanks!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I own a few Fenix lights and frankly I am ready to get rid of them. I just feel uneasy about supporting a company that is from a Communist country! I don't care if they are good lights for the money I want to support USA based companies like Surefire.

OK, enought of my rant, I want to sell my P2D and purchase a Surefire backup. I am a little concerned with the clip. Does the clip feel strong on using both sides? Does it slip out of the pocket easily? Can I put the clip of a E1L on the E1B? How is the clickie tail cap....does it seem strong? I wish I could just go see one but no stores in my area have any of the fun Surefire lights. Thanks!
The clip is fantastic! Go for it.

BBL

Enlightened
If this really counts for you: China is the worst capitalist on the planet, no worries about that.
On the other side, the US are getting close to communist dictatorships in the methods they established in the last few years.

hotbossa

Newly Enlightened
If this really counts for you: China is the worst capitalist on the planet, no worries about that.
On the other side, the US are getting close to communist dictatorships in the methods they established in the last few years.

Food for thought......

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both Fenix and Surefire lights and like both. I hope your comment doesn't offend any of our fellow CFPers. Get the E1B, you will like it.

Sorry to hear the way you feel about China. Are you going to stop eating chinese food also? :shrug:

Stainz

Enlightened
I was a big 'No PRC goods!' guy - until 9-11. Now, I am more of a realist. Their manufacturing requires little lead time for changes - and we have little manufacturing left here. One realistically has to accept PRC-made goods now - they are everywhere - in everything. Don't get me wrong, I love my Surefire 6P LEDs, having bought a second 6P just to 'upgrade' to the 'new' higher power SF LED head - which no one knows when we will see. I grabbed a SF P60L from a local shop, making essentially two 6PLs, some five months ago. Still no word on the SF head! Of course, the then new Fenix TK1 has morphed twice since then - the TK10 & 11. You really close the door on some quality goods if you won't buy PRC made items. Fenix makes some quality goods. Keep them - and buy a SF - have the 'best' of both worlds.

Stainz

hotbossa

Newly Enlightened
I have both Fenix and Surefire lights and like both. I hope your comment doesn't offend any of our fellow CFPers. Get the E1B, you will like it.

Sorry to hear the way you feel about China. Are you going to stop eating chinese food also? :shrug:

Thanks for the reply. For the record, I am not trying to offend anyone. I just personally feel strongly about supporting american made products. This is how I feel personally, if you don't have a problem with buying products from China (not you personally but the CPF's in general) then buy what you want......that is what is great about being and Amercian......we have all the choices in the world! Again, I am not trying to start a fight here I am just stating my persoanl feelings.

Last edited:

hotbossa

Newly Enlightened
I was a big 'No PRC goods!' guy - until 9-11. Now, I am more of a realist. Their manufacturing requires little lead time for changes - and we have little manufacturing left here. One realistically has to accept PRC-made goods now - they are everywhere - in everything. Don't get me wrong, I love my Surefire 6P LEDs, having bought a second 6P just to 'upgrade' to the 'new' higher power SF LED head - which no one knows when we will see. I grabbed a SF P60L from a local shop, making essentially two 6PLs, some five months ago. Still no word on the SF head! Of course, the then new Fenix TK1 has morphed twice since then - the TK10 & 11. You really close the door on some quality goods if you won't buy PRC made items. Fenix makes some quality goods. Keep them - and buy a SF - have the 'best' of both worlds.

Stainz

Thanks for the reply, I think I am going to get the E1B! I have had my eye on it since it was realeased and I can't stad to just stare at it anymore....:party:

H2Orower

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. For the record, I am not trying to offend anyone. I just personally feel strongly about supporting american made products. This is how I feel personally, if you don't have a problem with buying products from China (not you personally but the CPF's in general) then buy what you want......that is what is great about being and Amercian......we have all the choices in the world! Again, I am not trying to start a fight here I am just stating my persoanl feelings.

Well said. I commend your decision.:thumbsup:

As far as the E1B, it's my favorite light. I would highly recommend it. I never use the clip personally, so I cannot comment on it, but I think the clickie tailcap is wonderful. I did change my tailcap to a Z68, but the clickie activation is the same as the original. I just liked how the Z68 made the light more secure to hold in my hand.

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
OK, all of this "Made in USA..." stuff... we're a global economy anymore, and someone correct me if they know better, but I believe most of Surefire's manufacturing is done in Malaysia.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, all of this "Made in USA..." stuff... we're a global economy anymore, and someone correct me if they know better, but I believe most of Surefire's manufacturing is done in Malaysia.
Malaysia, WTF??

Unless Fountain Valley - California has changed its name, SureFire are still proudly made in the U.S.A.

bigfoot

Enlightened
+1 on supporting U.S. companies. Nothing wrong with that and that's exactly why I don't own any Fenix lights. Just a personal choice.

You will love your new SureFire E1B! Let us know what you think when it shows up.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just feel uneasy about supporting a company that is from a Communist country!

Probably shouldn't have bought the Fenix to start with then. You aren't supporting China by owning one or supporting them less by selling it. Not purchasing it in the first place would have been a good step though.

Heard the phrase " Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted."

hotbossa

Newly Enlightened
Probably shouldn't have bought the Fenix to start with then. You aren't supporting China by owning one or supporting them less by selling it. Not purchasing it in the first place would have been a good step though.

Heard the phrase " Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted."

Point taken. I didn't think much about it or realize at the time that they were made in China. I just saw a bright light for a little amount of money. Selling the lights is more for my own piece of mind.....plus that will help me to finance other purchases.

BBL

Enlightened
Dont forget one thing: Not supporting china is impossible today. Just have a look at all the stuff you use - Computer (casing, mainboard, graphics card, ram...), monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, printer, tons of other stuff you use in the household - everything is made in china (with rare exceptions maybe), and costs significantly more than a few fenix lights.

And, fenix is a company which is really into making excelent flashlights, not the usual crap. That should be supported.

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
Malaysia, WTF??

Unless Fountain Valley - California has changed its name, SureFire are still proudly made in the U.S.A.

Yeah, I'm wrong... was thinking of another company... I have people over there, lots of industry in that country. If we took all of the stuff with Asian-made components out of our houses, they'd be empty...

That said, "American Made" is part of why I have a few Blue and Black Box Benchmades...

:)

-G

BTW, I have the E1B, a Novatac 120T and a Nitecore PD Ex10... Of the three, it's hard to say which I like most, but the Nitecore (Chinese...) is currently the one with most pocket time of late, mostly due to its size. Close second is the Novatac, with the SF in 3rd...

Last edited:

Chongker

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I don't care what country buying a flashlight supports, as long as it supports and furthers the flashlight industry :grin2:. If it helps the companies i'm buying from in their R&D and can get out ever better flashlights more quickly, heck, i'd be a happy man. If i just supported lights made in the UK, that would leave me with just my Orb Raw Ti (which honestly isn't a really bad thing :nana:)

That said, i'm on the brink of getting the Backup as well, if only it wasn't so overpriced here :( Hope you enjoy the light if you do get it!

gstrand

Newly Enlightened
That said, i'm on the brink of getting the Backup as well, if only it wasn't so overpriced here :( Hope you enjoy the light if you do get it!

Overpriced... my boss is over here from Bracknell this week. She loves coming to the States with the current exchange... I don't like going over to the UK, at least price-wise... :) My green doesn't get much against the pound and euro any more. :shakehead