LF5XT Improvement Suggestions

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I'm not sure if this thread is premature, but I think enough of these fantastic torches are finally in users' hands* for suggestions that hopefully will find their way back to LiteFlux.

I think the LF5XT is approaching perfect, but I'll start the ball rolling with a couple anyway (in priority order for me).

• Lower low. I'm not an engineer but am surprised that a PWM regulated light can't be made to go down below a couple of lumens. 1 photon/sec would be nice, but I'll settle for 0.1 lumen.
  • Triple click to go back to previous mode. Not a big deal if you've programmed it down to 1-2 modes, but 4-5 mode setups could benefit
  • Less aggressive crenellated head. Perhaps offer the choice of a different (stainless) bezels that can be screwed in.
  • Better shock protection. On higher power settings a strong enough shock (eg dropping the torch onto either end from a few inches high) will cause the light to switch off, presumably due to the battery briefly losing contact.
  • More aggressive knurling. The current knurling is more cosmetic than grippy.
  • Thermal management. No doubt about it, these AA lights get hot on max. Offering optional thermal protection (similar to the optional battery protection) would really push the LF5XT into HDS territory. Of course it means adding totally new sensors to the circuitry...

Thanks in advance for any input!

* And being CPF, no doubt people who don't even own one will chime in too :)

Norm

Retired Administrator
  • Thermal management. No doubt about it, these AA lights get hot on max. Offering optional thermal protection (similar to the optional battery protection) would really push the LF5XT into HDS territory. Of course it means adding totally new sensors to the circuitry...

• Mine seems to only get warm when run on high with a 14500, I would have said they are very good already.
    Norm

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
A simpler version sold parallell to the current version. Low-medium-high + hidden strobe. The current one is too complex for many people. Yes, I know it's possible to program the current version to this simpler UI, that's not the point. The point is a foolproof simple UI in this magnificent light.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
A simpler version sold parallell to the current version. Low-medium-high + hidden strobe. The current one is too complex for many people. Yes, I know it's possible to program the current version to this simpler UI, that's not the point. The point is a foolproof simple UI in this magnificent light.

That's not the LF5XT. If you want low-medium-high + hidden strobe, find another light! The LF5XT is a completely customisable light, not one with a non-flexible UI like the low-med-high would be.

This reminds me of an L1D improvements thread where people were suggesting ramping, etc- improvements to the light please, not your idea for the perfect light.

clintb

Enlightened
  • Lower low. I'm not an engineer but am surprised that a PWM regulated light can't be made to go down below a couple of lumens. 1 photon/sec would be nice, but I'll settle for 0.1 lumen.
This would be very nice, especially since the hotspot and spill are very strong on this light. As it is though, I can live with it since I have an LF2x with a low-low.
  • Triple click to go back to previous mode. Not a big deal if you've programmed it down to 1-2 modes, but 4-5 mode setups could benefit
I think Khoo described the LiteFlux methodology quite well regarding the triple click...somewhere in the sales thread? Anyway, it would be nice if the triple click would activate only when the light is programmed for 4 or 5 modes, but deactivate once it's at 3 or less.
  • Less aggressive crenellated head. Perhaps offer the choice of a different (stainless) bezels that can be screwed in.
I have no issues with the crenellations. Try the NDI; that's aggressive!
  • Better shock protection. On higher power settings a strong enough shock (eg dropping the torch onto either end from a few inches high) will cause the light to switch off, presumably due to the battery briefly losing contact.
I haven't experienced this, but if others have then maybe it would be worthwhile to have some sort of a mechanism, or spring, to keep constant contact on the positive side.
  • More aggressive knurling. The current knurling is more cosmetic than grippy.
Maybe more aggressive to the level of the NiteCore Smart PD's, but no more than that.
I can see this a being a worthwhile improvement, no doubt! In reality though, if it's getting a bit uncomfortable to hold, then my thermal management device (the brain) says to turn it off. Even then, if only to protect the light in case of accidental activation, it would be nice.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still waiting for mine here... :scowl:
At least Khoo is a good guy, or I'd be flaming by now.
I'm surprised that the engineers at Liteflux were able to get this current model down as low as they did and so quickly due to our requests.
I'm always up for more agressive knurling. As ling as it isn't psycho gothic looking crenelations I don't mind them, but I think I like stainless or Ti bezels better than aluminum. Previous LF models have the same battery bounce problem with turning off, yes I'd like to see this fixed. Personally I don't like lights that step down brightness when tehy get too hot. If I have a light on high long enough to make it heat up that much... then I REALLY REALLY need that light right now... I dont want it dimming down on me and I dont give a hoot if it damages the LED in the long run. It's a cree in there, it can take the heat for the burntime of a single AA on high.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the light so my opinions might not hold a lot of water, but I'm surprised that no one mentioned the 0.3 seconds delay that the light has before it turns on. That was the dealbreaker for me on this otherwise magnificient light.

Oh, and please no crenelations(which goes for a lot more manufacturers than Liteflux). When I buy a light I want a light, not a wannabe assault weapon.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Liteflux could make sure their premier delears like khoo are well supplied so those who pre-ordered their LF5XT's can get them in a timely fashion, rather than waiting and waiting as Liteflux dumps LF5XT's to dealers like DX and KD so we have to wonder if we'd get them faster ordering from another source. :)

Hope mine shows up today, the first batch of pre-orders shipped 6/10, mine, in the second batch of pre-orders, shipped 7/1, so it should be here soon if it hasn't been lost in the mail.

Maybe Liteflux shouldn't release a light if they don't have an ample supply to at least cover dealer pre-orders. :)

Just a little ranting as I watch the handful of people lucky enough to get their LF5XT enjoy them. :p

clintb

Enlightened
I don't have the light so my opinions might not hold a lot of water, but I'm surprised that no one mentioned the 0.3 seconds delay that the light has before it turns on. That was the dealbreaker for me on this otherwise magnificient light.

Oh, and please no crenelations(which goes for a lot more manufacturers than Liteflux). When I buy a light I want a light, not a wannabe assault weapon.
0.4 seconds, actually. Does it take away from an excellent light? From the perspective of a user that's had one since the first pre-order batch shipped, no.

Crenelations do not equal strike bezel! Crenelations are useful for, oh, having the light on but bezel down to block some of the light.

Tubor

Enlightened
Lower-low is the must-have feature for the next model of this light. If voltages are a problem, lets have a 2xAA version. Then the torch could be optimised for lower-low and a very nice bright high using 2 NiMh AA's, and longer runtimes. I've just got the Jetbeam EX and it has these two points sorted. :wave: Would an extension tube work?

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not the LF5XT. If you want low-medium-high + hidden strobe, find another light! The LF5XT is a completely customisable light, not one with a non-flexible UI like the low-med-high would be.

This reminds me of an L1D improvements thread where people were suggesting ramping, etc- improvements to the light please, not your idea for the perfect light.

I want the high Liteflux quality with a stable, no nonsense UI. And yes, I have other lights, and they break all the time. The only one I keep coming back to, and continue to use is my Liteflux LF1, which has high with the option of low. I've carried a Liteflux LF1 every day since they came to market in 2006. Attitude! I just have an opinion that I voiced here. The LF5XT is a fully customisable light that would sell better if there was an option to buy a preconfigured fixed UI version. Have you ever been in an emergency, a real emergency, when rational thinking goes away like morning dew? I need a light that has no possibility of clicking into a setup menu when it matters. Sure I'm able to program the LF5XT, but I'm not talking about me here. I'm talking about those who don't want to or aren't able to program it.

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback so far. Here's my take on a few things...

1 - I don't mind a scalloped head that lets me see if the light is on when head down, but the crenellations on the LF5XT are actually so sharp you could use it to stab someone. I can understand that some people like them, so I'm suggesting the option of different bezels so people get the geometry they prefer

2 - The 0.4 sec delay is a complete non issue to me (in fact it is a reminder that it's a real MCU/electronic switch). If I need instant response then I'll set it for momentary.

3 - HDS/Novatac thermal management will actually step things down before the torch itself feels noticeably hot (but the LED is).

Keep the ideas flowing!

smg

Newly Enlightened
* And being CPF, no doubt people who don't even own one will chime in too :)
Yep, that's me :) I won't be buying the light because of some of my complaints.

What I'd like:
1. Less time before a 1xC becomes a PH. A button click only takes much less than 0.4 seconds. That irritates me.
1a. The time of 0.4 seconds is suitable to determine a series of clicks, the difference between 1xC and 2xC.
2. When the light is on, 1xC is registered when less than 0.4 sec, but a PH is only registered after 1 second? That's not right. There's no reason to wait 1 full second, especially in a situation when you NEED 100% OUTPUT NOW. This is a major issue, IMO.
3. Memory is a feature that (IMO) is very much NOT needed in a light that can be customized to taylor the user's specific needs. Therefore, forcing memory ON when momentary is also ON makes momentary useless to me. Otherwise, it would have been great, having solved the problem I have with waiting for the turn-on delay! There's no delay for momentary, is there?!?! If there is, then that's a major problem!
4. It would be nice if the user could switch between constant and momentary easily, like the D10 and EX10 ;)
5. When I want light mode 3, it should take 3 button presses to get there. Like this: 1xC, 1xC within 0.4 sec, 1xC within 0.4 sec. Done. If a delay is required before turning on (and I can understand this) no light should be shown until after the 3rd 1xC.

If I may critique (IMO):

Lower low. I'm not an engineer but am surprised that a PWM regulated light can't be made to go down below a couple of lumens. 1 photon/sec would be nice, but I'll settle for 0.1 lumen.

That would be great, if it's easily done.

Triple click to go back to previous mode. Not a big deal if you've programmed it down to 1-2 modes, but 4-5 mode setups could benefit
No, I don't see this being beneficial. It just doesn't seem like something that needs to be accomodated for an emergency situation. Emergencies require quick access to bright light. If I want to go to dim light, I can take a couple seconds.

Less aggressive crenellated head. Perhaps offer the choice of a different (stainless) bezels that can be screwed in.
Yes. I would like to see "crenellations" like those done on the Fenix T1. Just little "slits" to allow light out, if the light is placed head-down.

Better shock protection. On higher power settings a strong enough shock (eg dropping the torch onto either end from a few inches high) will cause the light to switch off, presumably due to the battery briefly losing contact.
Not sure. If the light can't remain on or tends to change modes from a 4 foot fall, then I would agree. However, the light should not be required to withstand this inconvenience after a 10 foot fall, or something that is otherwise not a simple drop.

More aggressive knurling. The current knurling is more cosmetic than grippy.
Not sure. You know better than I, so I'd have to agree.

Thermal management. No doubt about it, these AA lights get hot on max. Offering optional thermal protection (similar to the optional battery protection) would really push the LF5XT into HDS territory. Of course it means adding totally new sensors to the circuitry...

I don't think I agree... How does thermal management push this light into "HDS territory"?? Does this light dim or fail after remaining on high for extended time? I would agree, only if the light were getting so hot that it was damaging itself. It might be nice to have better thermal management so I don't burn my little fingers, but if I NEED light, I don't want my flashlight telling me that I have to wait. If I'm willing to burn my fingers to have the light level that I need, then the heat is the least of my worries.

I was hesitant to post this, since I tend to be very particular about my gadgets. I am guessing that most people will say that my ideas are unnecessary and over the top. I really like this light and some of its features. However, with its drawbacks, the light is reduced to "good enough". I am not happy with "good enough".

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
In order of most significant to least significant:

1. Fix the widely reported issue where the light turns off after being dropped. Reliability is not negotiable because getting unexpectedly plunged into total darkness is a big deal even when carrying a backup light.

2. Remove the 400ms/1000ms switching latency, even if it means redesigning the interface. I have no need for tacticool operation but I do need my lights to turn on when I tell them to turn on, not when they happen to feel like it.

3. Implement a hybrid latching momentary mode designed to emulate a forward clicky. As soon as the button is pressed, turn the light on. Release after 100ms or less and the light will remain on until the button is pressed again. Hold for more than 100ms and the light will stay on only until the button is released.

Point 1 and 2 are the deal breakers which have prevented me from buying an LF5XT. Point three would simply be nice to have.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it is just me. When I look at this light and all of the different components used to manufacture this light I am amazed that they are able to sell it so cheap.
I count something like 24 parts including 0-rings but not individual components on the circuit boards. This is easily 2x as many parts used in a Lunasol 20 including the screws used to hold the clip in place.
A Glock has 33 or 34 parts. Why in the world does a flashlight need to be so complex?

I suspect the new Surefire Ua2 will have fewer parts than this light.
OK I really like this light sort of... I am having a tough time with it's complexity.
Yaesumofo

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I don't think I agree... How does thermal management push this light into "HDS territory"?? Does this light dim or fail after remaining on high for extended time? I would agree, only if the light were getting so hot that it was damaging itself. It might be nice to have better thermal management so I don't burn my little fingers, but if I NEED light, I don't want my flashlight telling me that I have to wait. If I'm willing to burn my fingers to have the light level that I need, then the heat is the least of my worries.

HDS territory: As far as I'm aware HDS was the first to offer thermal management on a personal torch, automatically stepping down brightness if the LED got too hot, presumably as part of Henry's desire to increase reliability.

You'll notice that I put the word "optional" in there. If you'd like the extra protection to the LED (it's not there to prevent your fingers from getting too toasty) that thermal management might be able to provide, then switch it on. In the same way that people feel the same about battery protection, and this is optional on the LF5XT.

Thanks for all the input smg!

Gatsby

Enlightened
I had very high hopes for this light initially - I like my LF5 as much as any light I've owned but really was lobbying for a clickie interface - and got it but put in a radically different package. Unfortunately it seems liteflux saw the rage of the Nitecore DI and its angular "tactical" design and figured that's what people wanted - but I truly don't like the sharp bezel or the angular design. I like the looks of the D10 much more - if I could have the LF5XT function in a D10 style body I'd buy more than one...

What I've wanted all along was an HDS/Novatac interface and clickie operation in a 14500 body, the LF5XT was moving in that direction and would have been perfect but for the doggone body shape and style... :banghead:

Rogerg

Newly Enlightened
I am very happy with mine. Programed for memory off, momentary off, battery protection on, mode 1 lowest setting, mode 2 15%, mode 3 100%, mode 4 flash & 5 sos.
Like my lf2 if you tap it tail first hard enough the battery will lose contact and turn off, so far this has never happend with normal use and not a problem. This does not happen with the longer aw 14500 battery.
I think the switch timing is just right for me.
A good clip is the only real improvement I can see. I will have to find or make a clip for the hat.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok after playing with my new LF5XT for a few minutes, here are my suggestions for improvement:

1. Shorten the light, if at all possible. It's .5 inch longer than the ND10. Compactness matters, so for EDC my ND10 gets to ride along in my pockets.

2. Improve the knurling to the level of the SmartPD lights.

3. Set a user preference for UI delay. .4 seconds is too long for me. Not when I'm conditioned to expect instant response from other lights like the L1D / Jet-1 IBS / ND10.

I'm fine with other stuff so far, I think. Will have to play with it, carry it, to see how I feel longer term.