USA or European made lights? AA?

jones101

Banned
Hello,

Can you tell me what companies produce single AA lights in the US and Europe? I did see the American made list here but can't find the light I am looking for..and many on that list use Chinese parts or labor somewhere in the process if you read deep.

In a perfect world Is would prefer a Fenix L1 type, two level single AA light but do not want to buy Chinese goods. This light is as small physically as I an interested in...I could go a bit larger if needed but not smaller.

I don't want to get into a battery debate but I just prefer AA for the accessibility around the world and the stash I have on hand...no other reasons. If 123s were everywhere easily when travelling...just as cheap...and I had a bunch stocked up it would be the same

That being said...say I DID choose a Surefire light as a template would one of the modders be able to convert it to run on a single AA? I am not looking for an uber cool titanium boutique 200 dollar or more light. I am not concerned with special reflector or 27 levels or any of that. Just one that is basic low and high...well built...and not Chinese or from a company using China directly or indirectly is this is even possible in this day.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dixemon

Enlightened
All manner of lights these days have some foreign produced components. I dont think it is possible to find a light that all materials are strictly manufactured in the USA. If you are looking for a good illumination tool than I suggest you do exactly that and disregard the origin of the product or its manufactured parts. Some of the best AA lights these days are being produced in foreign countries. Its just the way it is. Pick up a DX10, LFX5T, any Fenix AA, you wont be disappointed. And whatever you do, DO NOT start a USA vs. CHINA debate about lights on this forum. Good luck

Last edited:

Flintstone

Newly Enlightened
Without starting a debate I think you'll search a long time to find products of any type that hasn't been to Asia at one point. :) Since you're obviously sitting behind a computer now I'd be bold enough to say that a light is the least of your problems :)

jones101

Banned
I am not debating anything. I am requesting information. If anyone attempts to turn it into an argument that is their doing not mine..but I will not participate. I am looking for a light as above and this is the kind of place people will know about it IF it exists.

I am not discussing political issues or asking for criticism for perceived beliefs...just info if the light I seek is out there. I am respectfully asking it be kept to that and nothing else. I won't discuss anything but the lights. Please.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Flintstone

Newly Enlightened
I think Led-Lenser is German, and Maglite/Surefire is probably still American and Victorinox is Swiss. I assume that most of their lights are atleast in part made in their originating country.

Citivolus

Enlightened
I think Led-Lenser is German, and Maglite/Surefire is probably still American and Victorinox is Swiss. I assume that most of their lights are atleast in part made in their originating country.

Good luck tracking down their source for switches, o-rings, lenses, springs, ink, even the foam in the tail of a mag. At some point you're going to find that it is a losing battle unless you go with a custom build from a manufacturer who makes and/or carefully sources all of their own raw materials, components, chemicals, tools (lathe, cnc, tap/die sets). How American is American? For that matter, is the OP willing to accept any design influnced by or based on designs refined in China?

It is indeed a slippery slope.

Regards,
Eric

jones101

Banned
I am not naive...I simply want as close as is humanly possible to a fully US or European made product.

That being said I do not have the funds for a 300 dollar custom boutique light that will as you said probably include SOME Chinese component anyway. I need to balance my personal requirements with the chance the light will be lost or damaged...I could not replace an expensive custom light. At the same time I am not willing to go full in the other direction.

I need a tool not a safe queen and I know that limits options when it comes to sole sourcing.

Again what I want is a Fenix L1 or Surefire E2 style body...one AA...LED...long low and bright high...I would also go up to the Surefire C2 size with 2AA if needed.

I would go custom if the price was right.

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO your best bet would be to get a light custom built by an EU or US modder. A Surefire won't run on a single AA- they're all designed around at least one CR123A which is ~3V. As others have said, don't expect the individual components to be from the US or EU, though. You could probably get a yellow back cree, made and assembled in the US, but a driver would be a bit trickier.

edit: The above post pretty much disregards all of what I just wrote! A 1xCR123A head, 2 AA's and a 3xCR123A body would match voltages correctly and the AA's would fit, if you can source the required parts.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wont participate in the discussion about american vs chinese, I can say as far that I don't agree with the OP.

Back on topic.

I'm pretty sure Surefire and Maglite are still US made. Of course, every single piece might not be american, but I believe there is some law that declares how many percent of the product has to be american to be called made in the us.

Ledlenser, I'm pretty sure is only designed in Germany, the lights are manufactured in China.
Not so sure about Victorinox, might be the same case there, but IIRC Victorinox are just rebranded Inovas? Not sure if they are still US made.

For single AA-lights, you might want to check out LRI Proton. The company is at least american, not sure about where the light is manufactured though.

Peak should be completely made in the US. They are closer to a custom builder than a real manufacturer. Good luck with their website though, it sucks. But I heard they give excellent service if you call them.

EDIT: The Proton is made in China.

jones101

Banned
Thanks to those answering the actual question.

But even with two requests to keep it focused there are still comments being made. There is no 'discussion' about US vs China so can you guys please leave it?

I am not asking for anyone's validation as to what they THINK I think and am not trying to convince anyone to think a certain way either.

Please....PLEASE....

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened
The OP asked a completly valid question, no need to go second guessing.

To actually adress your question, finding a dual output AA light of US (or Euro) manufactuer, is going to be a bit tough. I immediatley thought of the Innova X1, its good build quality and US made, but no variable output. This a situation where you might be forced to pick 2 out of your 3 catagories.

I would personally reccomend getting the best US made, variable ouput, light that suits your purposes and using rechargable batteries, even 123a sized ones. I would reccomend a Novatac 120P if I knew if it can run on rechargables, but thats knowledge im not privy to.

jones101

Banned
IMHO your best bet would be to get a light custom built by an EU or US modder. A Surefire won't run on a single AA- they're all designed around at least one CR123A which is ~3V. As others have said, don't expect the individual components to be from the US or EU, though. You could probably get a yellow back cree, made and assembled in the US, but a driver would be a bit trickier.

edit: The above post pretty much disregards all of what I just wrote! A 1xCR123A head, 2 AA's and a 3xCR123A body would match voltages correctly and the AA's would fit, if you can source the required parts.

Thanks Jarl...3x123 bodies would be a bit long for me I imagine (the Surefire c2 is about as big as I want and it is 2x123 I think..but I will Google away. I guess when I was mentioning 2xAA I wasn't visualizing how long it would be...duh. Maybe it is possible to piece something together that more or less what I am looking for.

Thanks as well Greco...I am pretty set on AA due to bad experiences hauling around chargers and special batteries only for the flashlight when the AAs fit other stuff and are everywhere cheap if I get into a bind.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic

Led-Lenser is made in China. Victorinox lights are made by Inova. Inova and MagLite are the only two AA that come to mind.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
IIRC Pelican lights are all made in USA, although many small piece parts inside may be procured from over-seas sources. If you can manage a 2AA light they have some that might suit you, and I think they also have a smaller 1AAA light too. So at least they fit 2 of your criteria.... cheap, USA origin.

Heres an earlier discussion.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/189480

Last edited:

jones101

Banned
Yeah i have and like several Pelican lights...but comparatively they have horrid outputs...7 lumens for 50 hrs doesnt work for me.

I don't get why no US companies are producing 100 lumen 1-1.5 hr/10 lumen 25 hour type of light in a SINGLE AA. A US or EU made fenix l1 style. it can be done...guess there isnt enough demand.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yeah i have and like several Pelican lights...but comparatively they have horrid outputs...7 lumens for 50 hrs doesnt work for me.

I don't get why no US companies are producing 100 lumen 1-1.5 hr/10 lumen 25 hour type of light in a SINGLE AA. A US or EU made fenix l1 style. it can be done...guess there isnt enough demand.

Because made in the USA it would cost >$100 most likely for an identical product already made overseas for <$30