rechargeables for my surefire d3 defender

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a good rechargeable battery for my surefire d3 defender with malkoff M60 drop in. Price isn't really an obstacle, so I would like to buy a good recharger and enough batteries to keep them charged at all times.

I guess I don't even know if it's possible. any suggestions?

thanks all,
brett

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
bdws1975,
Your D3 is the same body/size and the Surefire 9P and C3. I have used for years and am currently using two AW 3.7volt 17500 protected li-ion rechargeable batteries in my 9P. The input voltage on the Malkoff M60's are 3.8 - 9 volts so you will have no problems. When visiting the link for the batteries scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see two chargers for the batteries. Make sure to also order the 15mm charging spacer as you will need them if you opt for the DSD charger. You will NOT need them if you order the Ultrafire charger. I have used both chargers. If you order the Ultrafire be careful when lowering the spring to insert the battery. I have had one break off. If you think you will need to charge it in a vehicle on the go get the Ultrafire's optional car charger too. After using both chargers, I am partial to the DSD. Just my druthers.

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
dude! that was SUPER useful. Thank you so much!

Do you use one non-rechargeable in addition to the two re?

Could you attest to an estimated runtime with the rechargeables?

thanks again!

brett
bdws1975,
Your D3 is the same body/size and the Surefire 9P and C3. I have used for years and am currently using two AW 3.7volt 17500 protected li-ion rechargeable batteries in my 9P. The input voltage on the Malkoff M60's are 3.8 - 9 volts so you will have no problems. When visiting the link for the batteries scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see two chargers for the batteries. Make sure to also order the 15mm charging spacer as you will need them if you opt for the DSD charger. You will NOT need them if you order the Ultrafire charger. I have used both chargers. If you order the Ultrafire be careful when lowering the spring to insert the battery. I have had one break off. If you think you will need to charge it in a vehicle on the go get the Ultrafire's optional car charger too. After using both chargers, I am partial to the DSD. Just my druthers.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
dude! that was SUPER useful. Thank you so much!

Do you use one non-rechargeable in addition to the two re?

Could you attest to an estimated runtime with the rechargeables?

thanks again!

brett

Nope just two rechargable 17500 Li-Ion's replace 3 CR123 batteries in any of the SF 3 cell lights.

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
I just showed that a. I don't read too carefully and b. I'm ignorant about batteries.

thanks guys. I'm off to get me some batteries!

brett
Nope just two rechargable 17500 Li-Ion's replace 3 CR123 batteries in any of the SF 3 cell lights.

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
done! I know it won't fit my EX10, but with the runtimes of the nitecore, I'm cool with that.

I actually bought 4 of the batteries so I can charge two while using two.

thanks so much for the advice folks!

brett

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never done a runtime test with the two 17500's and my M60. I don't know if 3 123's or two 17500's last longer.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the performance. Now you can use the 17500's in your D3 to run one of several INCANDESCENT bulbs too. Here is a list from an excellent post that CPF member Mdocod put together.

Bulb Options:
LF D26 ES-9: 7W, 115 - 75 lumen in 73 minutes
LF D26 SR-9: 9W, 160 - 100 lumen in 51 minutes
LF D26 HO-9: 12W, 215 - 132 lumen in 40 minutes
LF D26 EO-9: 15W, 268 - 162 lumen in 30 minutes
SF P90: 9W, 151 - 94 lumen in 52 minutes
G&P G90: 9W, 151 - 94 lumen in 52 minutes
G&P D26 7.4V "DX 10W xenon": 9W, 153 - 95 lumen in 52 minutes (guess)
G&P D26 7.4V "DX 15W xenon": 10.5W, 175 - 108 lumen in 46 minutes (guess)
Pathfinder P90: 10W, 165 - 102 lumen in 47 minutes
WE D26 9V: 10W, 175 - 108 lumen in 46 minutes
Pila GL3 LA: 10W, 175 - 108 lumen in 46 minutes

This link to his full guide which is worth reading several times to understand which rechargeable batteries work with each setup. It is mostly for incandescent pairups but the battery compatibility works for LED's too.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hi brett,
as already mentioned, a pair of protected AW brand 17500s for your D3. The 17500 is 1.5X the length of a CR123 so will not fit the EX10. For your EX10, Get some RCR123 sized protected 3.7V cells from AW as well, they are the same size as a CR123 primary.

If willing, i suggest picking up a Pila IBC charger instead of any of the ultrafire/DSD type chargers as it is a safer more reliable charger that can be used with less user involvement to provide proper safety measures. Read up on that link to learn more.

Eric

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
thank you so much for the advice.

are these protected aw's? SO MUCH TO LEARN!!!

https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=201

thanks again,
brett
Hi brett,
as already mentioned, a pair of protected AW brand 17500s for your D3. The 17500 is 1.5X the length of a CR123 so will not fit the EX10. For your EX10, Get some RCR123 sized protected 3.7V cells from AW as well, they are the same size as a CR123 primary.

If willing, i suggest picking up a Pila IBC charger instead of any of the ultrafire/DSD type chargers as it is a safer more reliable charger that can be used with less user involvement to provide proper safety measures. Read up on that link to learn more.

Eric

mdocod

Flashaholic
yes, those are the RCR123 size protected 3.7V AW brand cells. Those are the cells "recommended" and pictured with flashlights by 4sevens for use in that EX10 :)

you can also get them directly from AW through his sales thread in the dealer section of the marketplace, or from lighthound.com, there may be other resellers that I am not aware of at this time.

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
thank you very much. I ordered a couple. I'm sure they won't last as long as the regular cr123s, but should pay off in the long run.

take care,
brett
yes, those are the RCR123 size protected 3.7V AW brand cells. Those are the cells "recommended" and pictured with flashlights by 4sevens for use in that EX10 :)

you can also get them directly from AW through his sales thread in the dealer section of the marketplace, or from lighthound.com, there may be other resellers that I am not aware of at this time.