Best CR2 Torch?

Mactrix

Newly Enlightened
I have a heap of CR2 batteries that I want to use but don't have a torch to use them in :laughing:

Suggestions on a good torch around $30 or less?

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriot

Flashaholic
For under $30 your almost going to be stuck with something from DX.

Last edited by a moderator:

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
To stay under the 30$ price range (not 200! hah) I would recomend sku 13977. I just received it today in fact. Updated from a P4 to a Q2, and I was already pretty happy with the P4 version.

Mactrix

Newly Enlightened
To stay under the 30$ price range (not 200! hah) I would recomend sku 13977. I just received it today in fact. Updated from a P4 to a Q2, and I was already pretty happy with the P4 version.

I'm deciding between that and sku.4201

sku.900 is sold out and knowing DX I don't think it will be back soon...

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I spent a little time last night with my WF 606A from DX, my newest one with the Q2 in it.

My older black one with a P4 pulls about 1200 milliamps from 2 eneloops, and the newer silver Q2 pulls closer to 1600 milliamps. Odd, I expected them to be the exact same electronics, but perhaps my first one has circuit problems, or is an exceptionally low forward voltage P4. Despite those differences, to the naked eye the output seemed very nearly identical. The Q2 had a warmer tint, the P4 is a colder led, but that was about it.

So, I think you ought to make your decision based more on the color you want. (the body color) Yes, a Q2 should be the better choice, but in this case at least, it just isn't much different.

I still like this model light quite a bit and it makes a nice little CR2 clicky though I haven't tested my newest one in that format. I have bought and gifted or resold about 8 of these lights now and none have let me down. The lone example was one my daughter left turned on face down that got quite hot and seems to have reduced the output.

The sku 900 is a nice looking light, but I can't imagine buying a Lux led at this point, and you are right I don't see it coming in stock any time soon, if ever. The only other nice option I see would be the Liteflux model, sku 12064, but that is 48$, I doubt I would spend it personaly, would rather spend the money on a single cr123 Fenix or something.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart just started selling a Coleman CR2 light for $24.99. I may actually try this one out!! I have about 8 CR2 batteries I got at Target a while back on closeout. I thought they were CR123's and did not look at the package carefully enough! :oops:

Mike

stinky

Newly Enlightened
I really like my WF-606B1. Under $20 from DX, sku 4526 (ad says it's cr123, but it's not, it's CR2). Only 59mm long in CR2 configuration. And the smaller head makes it more pocketable than the WF-606A1

I like it so much that although I'm considering buying an Aeon, I just haven't been able to justify the purchase. Obviously the Aeon is a totally different animal, but than again it's only 3mm smaller.

Maybe later.

I also have sku 4201 (mini clicky) It's much longer, although still small. Build quality is ok EXCEPT for the switch, which has been really flaky. I bought the 606B1 because I got tired of playing with the switch on sku 4201.

Last edited:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own two of these and they make nice little pocket rockets in cr2 config and there small as hell......but the only downside i find is that runtime is about 30minutes.....so you might want to get a couple of rcr2's as well.

gorn

Enlightened
The Peak Pacific in brass with cr2 body is on sale for $37.50. I just got one with the ultra bright LED option. It is quite impressive. I also have the 2 low end ones from DX and an ORB RAW. Did I mention I like the cr2 lights?

It is going to be hard to beat the Peak at that price.

stinky

Newly Enlightened
The Peak Pacific in brass with cr2 body is on sale for $37.50. I just got one with the ultra bright LED option. It is quite impressive. I also have the 2 low end ones from DX and an ORB RAW. Did I mention I like the cr2 lights?

It is going to be hard to beat the Peak at that price.

Hey gorn, how long is the Peak? It looks really short if you don't keychain it, but with the keychain option it seems kind of large for a CR2. Can you keychain it without the extra 1/2" for the screw-in piece?

http://www.peakledsolutions.net/pdf/ProductLine2.pdf

marschw

Newly Enlightened
I'm deciding between that and sku.4201
I have that one and I hate it... it's larger than most CR123 lights, it's dim, hard to mod, can't tailstand, etc.

I also have a WF606B1, and I'm not too happy about it either; it's dim as well. I certainly like it more than 4201, however. It's got a much more solid feel, and it's pretty small in CR2 mode.

IMO lights with a big head like the WF606A1 defeat the purpose of being a tiny CR2 light, since they're too wide to comfortably pocked. That said, I don't have that one.

I haven't found any CR2 light that I actually like...:shrug:

Edit: I like the looks of Peak's lights, but it looks like the Pacific is AAA not CR2, right? They also have awfully low rated brightness on all their lights...

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
Hey gorn, how long is the Peak? It looks really short if you don't keychain it, but with the keychain option it seems kind of large for a CR2. Can you keychain it without the extra 1/2" for the screw-in piece?

http://www.peakledsolutions.net/pdf/ProductLine2.pdf

Mine is the pocket model. No keychain attachment. It is about 1/8th of an inch longer than my ORB Raw. Nice and compact.

gorn

Enlightened
As metioned previously, the Aeon is possibly the best 1xCR2 powered light.

It well may be, but as also previously mentioned, the OP wants to spend about $30. The Aeon is about 7 times more than that price. Unless you know of a place that has a great sale on them. If you do please post it here, I'll buy a few.