amp overdriving LED?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read that LEDs can be over driven by hitting them with to many amps "not just voltage". Is that true? If it is I was wondering because I was thinking about putting an EverLED or mag 4D Led upgrade in my lantern, I know it can handle 6 volts, but that's at 18,500 amp from a alkaline D, while a 6 alkaline volt screw top rectangular battery produces 54,000 amps that's nearly 3 times the amps. How would it work, would I blow it or not?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think youre thinking of capacity, as in amps hours..milliamps in most cases (mah)

Usually, any kind of drop in will include a buck circuit (or boost, depends) to regulate the amount of amps actually doing into an LED. Typically, LEDs are driven anywhere from 500ma to 1.5A on bright lights.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I'm sorry I meant mah, I know the LED is regulated to, with the ever LED it is rated up to 9 volts, so my theory was that because it can only handle so much power that I will hit it with to many mah. Will the regulation inside stop this from happening?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yes I'm sorry I meant mah, I know the LED is regulated to, with the ever LED it is rated up to 9 volts, so my theory was that because it can only handle so much power that I will hit it with to many mah. Will the regulation inside stop this from happening?

Current and capacity are two different things. Think of it as how big the gas tank is on your car vs. what the gas mileage is. Making the tank bigger doesn't mean the engine is more powerful or uses more fuel.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
as long as you stick within the max V of the dropin, or circuit, it should be fine...:)

If you exceed it, it will probably go into direct drive, and you may damage the circuit. Thats why everyone is so careful when putting 10440s in lights that are designed for 1.5 AAA, it will work fine, but the question is if the boost circuit will still work with a 1.5 AAA after using 10440s.

Crenshaw

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!, don't, lantern batteries are reverse polarity! unless your everled is the one with the dot, the led will :poof: fry :mad:

:whistle:

It's ok I'll just check to see if the bottom part of the bulb socket it positive, and if it is fine, right? If not I'll just turn the battery around. By the way anyone know how many AH the EverLED pulls? Is it like .2 or something around there. Thanks for the help guys:twothumbs.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us know if the LED works or not and survives as well in this lantern mod.