Nitecore, did I make the right choice?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I have been a pure Surefire guy. All my lights collection comprised only of Surefire and my latest love has been the L1 Lumamax which I EDC for the last 5 months.

Today, I made an order for the Nitecore EX10 and D10 out of impulse. Did I make the right choice? How does it compare to the SF L1? Are the EX10 and D10 too hyped up?

I was contemplating also the Extreme and Defender but I am not too sure about that. What is your take on both as compared to the EX10 and D10?

Thanks

Andy

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Andy, let me help you out here
My ex10 is still about a month away in terms of funds etc, but i owned a Nitecore Defender Infinity, and a stock L1

Here are my observations

The L1 has a very tight beam, as you should know. IMO, not a very useful beam because its not powerful enough as a true thrower, yet too poweful for normal close usage.

vs

NDI has a brighter overall output, but less entense hotspot. I like this, it snot a thrower in any sense, but, its a great area light!

The NDI has a lower low then the L1 too.
The L1 however, has a much simpler User Interface.
In terms of tint, the NDI had a much warmer tint, which i liked.
I cant wait to get my hands on the Ex10, and maybe the D10, i sold my NDI to fund those.

My days with the stock L1 ended a long time ago though..i am now the proud owner of a Milky L1..:)

Crenshaw

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you will like them as they are quality and a whole lot of good things including very tough like Surefire - maybe even a bit toughter in some ways between the T7075 Aluminum and the tail switch which is rock solid IMO. Of course there a bunch of msg. threads and reviews around here - see the latest and excellent one by CPF member 'selfbuilt'.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll be happy with your lights. They make great EDC's. I've been enjoying my EX10. I have a L1 but it doesn't see much use at the moment. I'm thinking about sending it to Milky. :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, it is a relief to know that both the Nitecore lights are performers. I guess I was just afraid that my L1 would be decommissioned when I receive the D10 and the EX10 :crackup: but what the heck, Surefire hasn't really been on their toes lately. My L1 has a slight green tint to it which pisses me off. It shouldn't even have happened considering my friend's China made lights has a whiter beam than that. :shakehead

Well, the last I wrote to Milky I had gotten no reply so I wasn't sure if he is still in business. Thanks for the tips guys. Guess I felt better now.

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
I just got my EX10 in the mail 30 minutes ago and I LOVE IT! Granted, I have brighter lights, but I love the interface and it's just a neat little light. Perfct size for my pocket and will work perfect for slacks carry.

As far as I can tell, you made a great choice.

brett

4EN[sic]

Newly Enlightened
I keep hearing about Milkyspit. Does he have a web page, or can you guys hook my up with a link? What can he do to my L1? I would love a clicky tail cap if possible to mod one!

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
The piston drive system is quite impressive in design and feel. I see what all the hype is about now. I take all my other lights a little less seriously now. If I need a reliable multi mode I'll grab my D10 first.

I think you'll be very happy with your new lights.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Surefire L1 Cree, but I have a KX2. It has essentially the same optic. I find the beam awkward to use for most of my purposes. I like my EX10, and find it much more useful than my KX2.

As an added bonus, the EX10 will run perfectly off protected rechargeable li-ion 16340 cells. My KX2 doesn't stay in regulation as long as I'd like with a li-ion, and the KX1 (and presumably the L1) won't run on them at all.

bdws1975

Newly Enlightened
I've been playing wiht my EX10 for the last hour and I love it!!!!!

I'm in love with the UI and find that the instant min or max works great for me.

enjoy!

brett

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have been an "only Surefire" guy for a while and decided to try the EX10.....I LOVE IT!!

I use it ALL The Time!!

You made a good decision:thumbsup:

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I have the Nitecore EX10 and Extreme, buy them both if you can, lot of light for the money and very good quality, I also love Surefire, my E1 with an E1B head is still my EDC for work (for the time being)and I bought an L1 too but haven't taken it out since the others arrived.:thumbsup:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
A couple of years ago, I was on a SF kick with my E-series lights, then I went to other lights in my collection as multiple light levels became the norm... lately, I've found that I really like my SF 6P + M60 drop-in but, I also recently picked up both an EX10 and D10.

They are both fantastic lights and provide a lot of versatility so, IMHO, I think either the EX10 or D10 would make great edc lights - in fact, the EX10 will be replacing my Fenix P2D in the short-term as I evaluate how I like using it as an edc. I will still go for my SF 6P when I need a LOT of light and in a solid package.

Something else to consider... the NiteCore Exteme heads will fit E-series bodies so, if you have an E2e, then you can have the best of both worlds... :party:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EX10 and D10 are still in transit so I can't comment on them.

I can however say that the Extreme is a good match for SF E1B:

cimg1119ave4.jpg

The Nitecore's beam is less concentrated and has more spill, its tint is white (WC) without any trace of blue while the Backup is more creamy and my L1 CREE is somewhat greenish.
The quality of the Extreme appears to be excellent and so is the surface finish. The only point where the Backup wins hands down is the switch. Luckily Nitecore provided two spares with the flashlight.

And just a few words on the Defender (NDI): IMHO the Defender is a must have; in case I lost it I would immediately buy a replacement, which can't be said of all my flashlights.... :p

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to thank you all for the replies. As I am on the other side of the earth from the US, I may not be able to answer to all the replies immediately due to the time variance. I plead your understanding in this. It is nice to know that all of you had very good opinions about the EX10 and D10, and I certainly look forward to receiving my lights.

I just received a sad news though. Both the lights are not in stock right now and the distributor is not sure when the stocks would be available. I would just have to sit back and continue reading all the praises you guys had for the Nitecores and could meanwhile do nothing about it. Damn! My fingers are itching!

Ok, from what I gathered from you guys, the Nitecores had better spill/flood factor than the L1. That's great! It's just what I needed. And also, I understand that the beam is whiter, which is great too as I am so sick about the green tint I get from my L1 although the L1 is still quite a useful light.

Arrrghh...!! Patience... Patience...

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't want to speak for 4sevens, but I bet he wouldn't have a problem with canceling your order and issuing a refund if you were to get lucky on B/S/T in the meantime.

Also, maybe I dreamed this, but I seem to remember reading in one of the EX10/D10 threads that he also said a new shipment was on the way?

Last edited: