1 A23 - Flashlight Brand/Model - XXX Lumens
1 123 - Flashlight Brand/Model - XXX Lumens
1 AAA - Flashlight Brand/Model - XXX Lumens
1 AA - Flashlight Brand/Model - XXX Lumens
2 AA - Flashlight Brand/Model - XXX Lumens
etc.

jake25

Enlightened
sounds kinda weird since it usually isn't the battery that regulates output:thinking:

although the capacity due tot he size does effect runtime

timmyg123

Newly Enlightened
sounds kinda weird since it usually isn't the battery that regulates output:thinking:

although the capacity due tot he size does effect runtime

But if someone wanted to know the brightest output by battery type, regardless of runtime, this type of list would seem useful?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Brightest possible (as in using the best battery for high discharge) or brightest out right now?

For example with the Elite 1700 mAh battery, can power the Seoul P7 at 3 amp for a few minutes with a driver that doesn't exist.

youreacrab

Enlightened
seems pointless really.

lumens measures total light output but doesn't give you any idea how that light is directed. i have some 400+ lumen 40 watt lightbulbs in my bedlamp, but i can't use that to light up a target 100 yards away--somthing my 225 lumen A9 does quite well.

also, lumen figures are not measured according to a universal standard--some companies overstate and some understate.

you're much better served by going to light-reviews and ranking the lights by max lux output, which measures brightness at a particular spot, and sorting by battery type. then you can go into each review and see how the beam is shaped to see if it suits your needs.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if someone wanted to know the brightest output by battery type, regardless of runtime, this type of list would seem useful?

Actually I do see a lot of people making similar comparisons between similar light types, sometimes based on battery type. There are plenty of people around here that chase the brightest light...like moths to the flame...or maybe moths to the tank search light.

Like others have said it's hard to make that comparison. It's hard to accurately compare lumen ratings between lights. One is at the emitter, one is out the front, another is only at that peak number for seconds, while another maintains its number in regulation for most of the runtime. Trying to measure in a meaningful way at home is complicated, and doesn't really account for the distribution of output within the same brand/model when we use very small sample sizes (like one light.)

Would some here find it useful if the data could be obtained accurately from reasonable sample sizes? I would guess yes. Do I think it's reasonable to expect meaningful data given the difficulties? No.

Yapo

Enlightened
well the thing is "the brightest light" will probably change every couple months when a higher bin led comes out or when a slightly harder driven/more efficient light decides to show up.
And you probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the brightest and the 2nd brightest light anyway.
Also the real lumens of each light varies slightly as well. But i guess you can make a generalisation of the current max lumen for each battery type for lights with a cree Q5/R2 as a few different brands have similar max outputs.
But if you count customs or lights with P7's i'm sure they would top it!