Fenix L2D Q5 vs. Fenix P3D Q5

• Fenix L2D Premium Q5

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • Fenix P3D Premium Q5

Votes: 29 34.9%

• Total voters

scorcher75

Newly Enlightened
Besides the obvious fact that the P3D uses CR123A and the L2D uses AA which are widely available, I understand the difference is negligible.
I'm planning on purchasing one of the two lights. The L2D is attractive due to its battery usage and the P3D is attractive to to its symmetrical even design.

So what do u guys prefer/have?

ClickieClique

Newly Enlightened
I have both of these lights, but if I could only keep one, I'd keep the L2D.

The first reason is that I've always used the L2D continuously on turbo for 2 hours straight until my NiMH batteries dimmed, without the L2D getting too warm or fear of harming the LED.

The second reason is the universal availability of AA batteries. I definitely take the L2D along when I travel or go camping. I also bring along a charger for my rechargeables, but it's nice to know that it is easier (and cheaper) to find AA batteries if I can't recharge.

Overall, the L2D is great, but the P3D is also very good. The P3D is smaller and brighter overall. I usually use the P3D on high, because it gives plenty of light and barely gets warm during extended usage. It's nice to have the brightness of Turbo when the occasion requires it, but the light does get warm. And if you use RCR123's, the P3D is also cost efficient.

youreacrab

Enlightened
don't be seduced by the slick design of the p3d. the contouring of the l2d allows for better grip, which you will begin to appreciate if you're ever held a fenix. otherwise, the l2d provides more runtime in turbo mode. the difference in brightness is negligible. l2d all the way. i just got my second and i'm not done yet.

mdocod

Flashaholic
generally speaking, there is a little more energy content in a pair of LSD AA size NIMH cells than there is in a pair of RCR123s. And the NIMH cells are cheaper than li-ion cells. So with that in mind, if I were choosing between the 2 based on recharge-ability, I'd go with the L2D.

If you are going to stick with primaries and don't care about picking up CR123s online, then the P3D will be a better overall performer.

GSMGuy

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, not been on for a while, but I LOVE my L2D Premium - As said, availability of batteries is a major issue...

Mike

streetmaster

Enlightened
I voted for the L2D Q5, it was my first good(great) flashlight. My first Fenix for that matter. The head is very versatile. I have 3 bodies for it, which give me an L2D, L1D, and P2D. Can't beat that! Although, I wouldn't mind a P3D someday either. :whistle:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
apologies if anyone thinks this amounts to a hijack of the thread, but i am wondering if the ultrafire c3 extension tubes are compatible with the Fenix L2D Q5??

Reason i ask is that i got a first gen ultrafire C3 from hkequipment in eBay and its a single mode 1 x AA and i got the 1 x AA extension tube and it works fine but just that i would like the versatility and workmanship of a Fenix light.

Then, assuming that the extension tubes work and are compatible, if i extended mine to a 3 x AA would it blow the LED??

Thanks in advance (and apologies if this is deemed a hijack)

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
I voted for the P3D (my first Fenix light) because I have 4 boxes of Surefire CR123s to use by 2014, it is shorter and thus takes less room in my pocket, and it carries well clipped to a cargo pocket with the added clip from a River Rock 1W light. To remedy its slickness, I just added O-rings in two places, which assists with cigar-grip operation. However, I still plan on getting an L2D one day.

pbs357

Enlightened
I just got an L2D and it's pretty cool. I like how it's thinner, and has steps in the body for better grip. However, I prefer the P3D because it is shorter, and I use rcr's in 4 other lights. So, by length and convenience of battery selection (in my house), I pick P3D.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone tell me if the L2D premium from fenixstore comes with a SMO reflector or a textured? I was cosidering this for my next light only seconds ago.

Enlightened
L2D. I use either Energizer lithiums or Eneloops but, in a pinch, it can take any cheap AA and still give acceptable performance.

I also have a P3D, which is a very nice light, but it isn't as versatile when it comes to feeding time.

Can someone tell me if the L2D premium from fenixstore comes with a SMO reflector or a textured? I was cosidering this for my next light only seconds ago.

The current crop of L2D uses a textured reflector.

Mark

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw L2D & P3D in a store a year ago. Both are too big for pocket carry. I ended up buying a L0D CE that day.

Have an Elektrolumens My Little Friend & a MTE SSC-P7 for when I need more light. An Elektrolumens SSC-P7 M*g is in the mail.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2D beats the P3D for me.

If you want to use rechargeables or use the light more frequently the L2D is better. Both are great lights.

streetmaster

Enlightened
So scorcher75, have you ordered an L2D from Fenix-Store yet?? :poke:
You will never regret it, one of the best lights from the best online store.

Don't forget your extra bodies and battery caps! ;)

FenixSet003m.jpg

FenixSet014m.jpg