My first Surefire and Malkoff - please help me choose which one

Niconical

Enlightened
Hello.

I've only recently got my first quality lights. I'm completely happy with all of them. Compared to what I was used to, they are all great. However, from reading on here, it seems to me that no collection is complete without a Surefire, and if you're doing that, you really should use a Malkoff drop-in.

I've (nearly) decided on the 6P. I know there are a lot of other equally worthy Surefires, but starting with Surefire no.1, I feel I should start with a 6P (or 9P). I have a few questions first though.

Here goes...

1. Do I need to specifically choose the 6P LED to use the Malkoff drop-in, or is the 6P original fine?
2. Assuming the original is fine, any benefit for a drop-in to choose one or the other, 6P original or LED?
3. Can I use the drop-in with a 9P? If so I suppose questions 1 and 2 again for the 9P.
4. Is the "drop-in" as easy as it sounds? I have near zero knowledge, will I be able to do it?
5. Does it come out again just as easily?
6. Are the Malkoff drop-ins well regulated? I really like the output graphs I see for my Fenix lights. Do I get something similar in terms of regulation with a Malkoff?
7. Finally, using the only option I have for comparison, my TK10, will I really see something special? How does the throw Malkoff compare to the TK10 throw, and how does the flood Malkoff compare to the flood of the TK10?

Thank you :)

I can answer some of your questions, as I have a 6P & 9P, both with Malkoff drop-ins.

1: original 6P or 9P is fine
2: Yes, the original's are less expensive
3: Yes, you get longer run time, and you can use 2 17500 li-ion rechargeables
4: Yes, remove lamp assm, replace with drop-in
5: Yes
6: They are regulated, there have been a few posts with run times.
7: sorry, I can't help with this one

Patriot

Flashaholic
1. Do I need to specifically choose the 6P LED to use the Malkoff drop-in, or is the 6P original fine? Thank you :)

Specific model not needed, and 6P will do.

2. Assuming the original is fine, any benefit for a drop-in to choose one or the other, 6P original or LED?
No particular reason except price maybe

3. Can I use the drop-in with a 9P? If so I suppose questions 1 and 2 again for the 9P.

Yes it will work with a 9P as long as primariy batteries are uses. RCR123 would be too much voltage in the 9P. Voltage range is 3.8-9.0V

4. Is the "drop-in" as easy as it sounds? I have near zero knowledge, will I be able to do it?
Yes, very easy
5. Does it come out again just as easily?
Yes also

Are the Malkoff drop-ins well regulated? I really like the output graphs I see for my Fenix lights. Do I get something similar in terms of regulation with a Malkoff?
It's regulated to 3.8V, below that there is no regulation.

7. Finally, using the only option I have for comparison, my TK10, will I really see something special? How does the throw Malkoff compare to the TK10 throw, and how does the flood Malkoff compare to the flood of the TK10?
The throw should be similar but the Malkoff will likely produce more overall output. Since you're familiarized with the TK10 you probably won't be startled by the performance of the Malkoff but you'll have a first rate LED in a first rate light with great heat sinking.

Niconical

Enlightened
Thanks for all the answers.
Now I just need to decide on which Malkoff, and start buying.....

:)

What do you want to use the light for?
I use my G3 (same as a 9P, but nitrlon body) with a M60L drop-in.
You get more than 1/2 the lumens & more than 2X's the run time than
the M60. It still throws very well. I have aM60 in a 9P, but I like the feel
of the G3.

roymail

Enlightened

Niconical, there may be one more issue to consider... especially since you already have the TK10. Do you plan to or want to use rechargeable batteries?

If no, you can ignore my post since your other questions have been answered. And, I'll add, I agree that you probably won't see a significant increase in output by getting an M60 although the beam will be a bit more floody. Both lights are Q5's rated at 225 lumens.

If yes, then you still have some decisions to make before ordering. I would recommend the 9P over the 6P so you can use 2x17500's as another poster already mentioned. The Surefire 9P with 2x17500's is a popular option and will provide you with additional runtime over 6v and the ability to recharge your batteries hundreds of times.

If, in fact, you have an interest in using li-ion rechargeable batteries, you'll need to take the time to read Eric's very useful thread on this subject.

There are other options, but I'd recommend you start here.

Last edited:

russwm

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix T1 and an M60 in a 6P. The output from the M60 is a little more, but nothing that will startle you.

Since you already have the TK10, consider getting the M60L. 140+ lumens for 4 1/2 hours for the M60L versus 235+ for 1 1/2 hours for the M60. Both are great, but since you already have 60/225 with the TK10, you might like something in the middle.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

CLHC

Flashaholic

As the saying around here goes: "Buy both!" :)

Besides, Gene has great customer service and is great to work with for that JIT scenario with your setup which is all to rare.

Hope you get what you're deciding on and Enjoy!

EV_007

Enlightened
You can't go wrong with the C2. The clip gives you another option for carrying. The C3 would give you yet another longer run time option.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 6P with an M60 running two RCR123s, a G2 w/M60L and am waiting for a new 9P to show up that will get an M60L to be used as an emergency light for my truck. I like the idea of having a very bright light that will run for hours on a set of batteries in the vehicle.

I would suggest that since you already have a super bright Q5 light, you may want to get an M60L. I really love having a very bright light (the M60L is no slouch at 140+ lumens) and being able to afford to run it on primaries. My G2 just keeps running and running and running on a set of primaries and is actually more usable indoors...most of the time the M60 is too bright for general indoor use. The M60 is my favorite outdoor light and never fails to drop the jaws of whomever I show it to.

I can't speak for the other M60 drop-ins (M60LL, M60F, M60LF), but I have no doubt they are excellent for they're intended use.

You won't go wrong either way and I can personally vouch for Gene's customer service, he's the best!

You could always take the standard flashaholic advice and get one of each! :devil:

greenLED

Flashaholic
However, from reading on here, it seems to me that no collection is complete without a Surefire, and if you're doing that, you really should use a Malkoff drop-in.
If I may be the lone voice of dissent, you don't need a Malkoff (or any other drop-in, for that matter) to have one kick-*** light in the 6PL.

Weigh in your needs and don't get caught in all the hype surrounding after market drop-ins and mods.

generic808

Enlightened
If I may be the lone voice of dissent, you don't need a Malkoff (or any other drop-in, for that matter) to have one kick-*** light in the 6PL.

Weigh in your needs and don't get caught in all the hype surrounding after market drop-ins and mods.

Oh, I have every single 6P/9P variation and set-up you can think of, and let me tell you this, the 6PL pales in comparison to the M60. Don't get me wrong, the P60L is a good drop-in, but if you want some throw or flood, the M60/M60L will kick it's booty :devil: Of course it comes with a price tag though.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Oh, I have every single 6P/9P variation and set-up you can think of, and let me tell you this, the 6PL pales in comparison to the M60. Don't get me wrong, the P60L is a good drop-in, but if you want some throw or flood, the M60/M60L will kick it's booty :devil: Of course it comes with a price tag though.
While I agree with you on the differences between the P60L and the Malkoff drop-ins, my cautionary note was aimed at the perception that for a 6PL to be "useful" you absolutely need to replace the stock LED module. I see a lot of people getting jumping on that bandwagon.

However, depending on people's needs/wants/budget, you may not need to replace the stock LED. The trick is to realize where the difference between one's needs/wants, and the "CPF mantras" lay.

roymail

Enlightened

And, speaking of "price tag" are you aware that the M60's are on sale right now... $49.50 Just trying to be helpful! :D

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
...$ 49.50...nice,m60 for the ultimate p60 thrower...or the m60ll for nice light with great runtimes.I like the malkoff beam,just my 2 cents:tinfoil:.

generic808

Enlightened
However, depending on people's needs/wants/budget, you may not need to replace the stock LED. The trick is to realize where the difference between one's needs/wants, and the "CPF mantras" lay.

The OP is a newb to higher end lights and I'm sure we've all been there before. More is definitely better in this case :devil:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
although i dont own any P60Ls, i have had to oppotunity to compare the two, without a doubt, i would still pick the Malkoff. The Tint and the Overall output are both superior. :)

If you can afford the extra cash, the C2 and Malkoff hola is my candidate for perfect P60 combination. :)

Crenshaw

greenLED

Flashaholic
The OP is a newb to higher end lights and I'm sure we've all been there before. More is definitely better in this case :devil:
I obviously beg to differ. Over the years I've grown past certain CPF fads and now focus more on utility than other features.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by generic808

I obviously beg to differ. Over the years I've grown past certain CPF fads and now focus more on utility than other features.

Going from the thread title, the OP clearly has an interest in marrying these two components and has already decided to go through with it. He's probably willing to sacrifice runtime for brightness and that's great, as long as he's aware that's going to happen.

While I don't think that the brightest lights it their category are fadish, I do fully agree with greenLED that "more is definitely not better" in every case. For example more output is less runtime. If runtime is a serious concern then the OP might want to rethink his decision.

I like greenLED's point that it's not necessary for the OP to get an aftermarket drop-in, in order to be completely satisfied with his Surefire. I do believe that due to our brightness fanaticism we can often be 'over the top' consumed with thinking that the first thing we have to do is mod an already outstanding light. I think greenLED was just slowing things down a bit to let the newer member know that the 6PL is great just how it is.

Niconical

Enlightened
Well, firstly. I noticed above in some of the replies I have been asked what I want it for, what are my needs, etc. I'm sure I don't need to explain this to anyone on this forum, but I don't actually 'need' it at all, I just want it. :)

I'd also like to at least for a short while have a Surefire incan, which is why my first question was about choosing a 6P or 6PL.

Ideally, this is how I see it going for me. Start with a 6/9P incan. As far as I can tell, the 6/9P incan is the grandfather of all quality lights, so it just seems like the right thing to do. If I am going to spend yet more flashlight money, I just thought I'd gone far enough down the road of "ooh look, another 1 cell Q5 which is reeeaally bright, gimme gimme", and that it was time to take a step back and look towards Surefire.

After I have that incan, the practicalities dictate that I don't really want to leave it like that, I want the runtime and regulation from a LED, so Malkoff seemed the obvious addition.

Someone wrote above about the 'L' version (140 lumens mentioned I think). That would seem perfect, but I will investigate more.

The end result will be I'll have a real long term light. It wont replace any specific LED light for EDC, but it will always be available, and will most likely see the latest and greatest next gen LEDs come and go, while it has a permanent home.

So, that's the plan :)