SIMPLE bright floody light for vision-impaired / LF5XT?

vulcanmoon

Newly Enlightened
My question is similar to this thread below: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202587

I'm a newbie to these flashlights and I'm specifically looking for an excellent bright floody (does this quality exist in any LED flashlights?) easy to carry flashlight for an older gentlemen who needs it at night to see his way around the pool and to keep an eye on his dog in the yard. I notice most LED lights are narrow. The forthcoming Surefire UA2 with adjustable lens looks great but it's expensive, unproven and won't be available til end of summer and this is a birthday gift for this month. Some LED lights look as though they have a decent amount of spill but I'm overwhelmed looking at all these different models. It also needs to have a SIMPLE user interface. Maybe just a few different settings.

Here's something I'm considering....the Liteflux LF5XT looks great but it's programmable. If I got that for him (I want to get that one for ME as well!) I could program it for him, but 3 questions arise regarding this light:

1) Once it's programmed would it be easy for him to switch to the setting he wants?
2) Is it unlikely that he'd screw up the programming by toggling it incorrectly?
3) How's the spill on the Liteflux?

If the Liteflux doesn't sound like the best option to you then what would you suggest for him? Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1) I think it would be a bit complicated but I've never seen the light in person.
2) Maybe.
3) Around the same as many other AA lights from what it looks, but it seem like the beam is narrower. Maybe this review would help(look at the last beamshot for a spill shot).

The Fenix L2T V2.0 or L1T V2.0 might work better. Simple to use(loose bezel = low, tight = high), Forward clicke, and Fenix Store has good Customer Service. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

LED lights have many beam patterns from narrow and can throw 150+ meters(like the Dereelight DBS) to very floody and no hotspot(like the Zebralight headamps). It's just finding it(we can probably help).

:welcome:

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
1) Once it's programmed would it be easy for him to switch to the setting he wants?
2) Is it unlikely that he'd screw up the programming by toggling it incorrectly?
3) How's the spill on the Liteflux?

1 - It can be programmed down to a simple 1 mode light if you want. He could use it by switching it on with 1 press, and off with a press. Hold down for high. Doesn't get much simpler

2 - All programmable lights could conceivably be programmed by accident. He'd need to do 3 quick licks followed by a hold in order to get into light level programming. 4 clicks and hold to get into more advanced programming. Basically it's not highly likely.

3 - The LF5XT has a narrower beam with a less definted hotspot and brighter spill, and far fewer beam artifacts than nearly any other Cree based torch.

Rzr800

Enlightened
1 - It can be programmed down to a simple 1 mode light if you want. He could use it by switching it on with 1 press, and off with a press. Hold down for high. Doesn't get much simpler

2 - All programmable lights could conceivably be programmed by accident. He'd need to do 3 quick licks followed by a hold in order to get into light level programming. 4 clicks and hold to get into more advanced programming. Basically it's not highly likely.

3 - The LF5XT has a narrower beam with a less definted hotspot and brighter spill, and far fewer beam artifacts than nearly any other Cree based torch.

Great argument and I would add low battery warning to boot.

It's the premier AA production light (for as much as that often sadly means) out there right now and it sounds like you truly believe that he deserves it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Check out the multi-level 1AA review in my signature for a discussion of many of the major options in this class.

The new NiteCore D10 and LiteFlux LF5XT will be added to that review soon (currently working on the LF5XT review). As already pointed out here, the LF5XT is state-of-the-art, but not very floody (narrower spillbeam than most). Rapid double-clicks to change modes could also be an issue for an elderly gentleman.

As a general rule, I typically recommend Fenix lights to non-flashaholics for their ease of use and outstanding runtimes (especially on alkaline cells, which, alas, most non-flashaholics will be using). But there are other options, depending on price point.

Oh, and :welcome:

Patsplace

Newly Enlightened
Howdy,
I work with the Pelican 2400 Stealth (4XAA) day in and day out and find it to be a handy light. My Dereelight Cl1H with the OP reflector is a beauty for seeing where your going, has good spill, can be turned down very easy but does not use the Non-flashaholic batteries. IE AA or AAA.

I carry a Fenix EO and have an EO1 on the way, both of which use a single AAA battery and the EO just barely works to allow me to move around my "Way less than level" yard. The EO1 will double the output and I think that it's going to be just fine.

Get him a CL1H, two 18650 Batteries and a charger and he's good to go for the rest of his life, more than likely.

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Regards,
Pat

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless he's a gadget nerd, like most of us, I'd look into Peak LED Solutions. They also have a sub forum here. Their website isn't too impressive, I think the webmaster is out to lunch 24/7/365, but you can get some ideas from both places.

Most of their lights are simple twisties with zero moving parts, except for the head and battery tube. They only have one output level, which is designed to be the best for that particular light, and very efficient circuitry. Just about any of their models would probably outlast all the lights mentioned here put together. There just really isn't anything much to wear out on them. It's a good idea to lube the threads once in a while, but that's about all the maintenance there is, well, battery replacement. :) I have some Peaks that I bought when I first got into this hobby. They work as well now as they did when they were new, something I can't say about others. Simple, very high quality, no nonsense lights that are very dependable.

If you go this route, make sure to specify a SSC P4 LED, as they still offer Luxeons as well. Another thing, don't order online, call them instead. They are some really nice people to talk with and will answer any question you throw at them. A first class act.

Dave

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for a wide, bright beam and simple operation, I'd recommend a Wolf-Eyes LED light, or a D26/P60 compatible light with a Wolf-Eyes LED module. Providing I can remember my Flickr username, I'll have a review with beamshots posted in a couple of days or less. If you just want to look it over incomplete, PM me. :D

Edit: Here's a beamshot. For reference, that TV is 36" wide.
Edit 2: Lol! The TV on the right.:D

2663271085_5b245dc16b_o.jpg

Last edited:

arty

Enlightened
I just got a Peak Glacier Bay with a Seoul P4 - it is a great floody light. It puts out lots of light and gives you a nice wide beam. It is only 1 level, but that level works fine.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1T v2.0 was mentioned earlier and it is a good, simple light. My current EDC.

You might also look at the LumaPower LM33. Takes 1 CR123a cell, and floodier than the Fenix. There is also an AA version of the same design, called the LM31, but the high is not very brigh, compared to current cree Q2 and Q5 ligths. Still, it may be bright enough. These are very simple, rear clicky operated lights. First click-low; second click-high; third click-off.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Vulcanmoon, beware that most of the lights recommended here aren't actually floody. Some of them are, but most of them aren't. Do your own research on the review sites before forking over any money.

Kevo

Newly Enlightened
The LF2 SSC with a pair of AW 10440s and Nano charger would be a great combo. That light has a wonderfully floody beam and can really light up a large area. The lithium batteries aren't necessary, but they do a great job and up the output quite a bit.

My wife carries that light on her keychain, and it's quite handy for lighting up a dark parking area.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
...If the Liteflux doesn't sound like the best option to you then what would you suggest for him? Thanks a bunch.
I don't recommend the LF5XT because the delay in turning on, off, max, changing modes, will drive him crazy. If he's vision impaired, and needs to see something quickly, the delay will be too much for him.

I recommend a simple light like the Fenix L1T or the multi-mode Fenix L1D.

vulcanmoon

Newly Enlightened
I'm reading all these responses and continuing my research. Thanks everyone--you're a great group. I'll continue to read any further comments/ideas before I make a decision.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its interesting that you ask for a simple light but the first one you suggest is programmable with anything but simplicity.

If he is going to be responsible for buying batteries and maintenance the answer is much different than if you are going to be keeping it up and running for him.

Something like a Streamlight Propolymer 3C multiple LED light is actually very appropriate. He just changes the batteries when it goes dim, nothing more than an on/off switch. If he drops it in the pool probably won't sink and be lost. Bright yellow, he can find it more easily.

If you really want to go high tech but simple for him to use there is the Solarforce L2 host, get one extension tube and buy the Malkoff M60F module that will drop right in it. With 2 pairs of 17500 batteries and a charger he can have one pair running and the other pair topping off and be very well lighted with a good flood. Current draw with these batteries is 600mA, he will get no more than 2 hours run time per battery set for the batteries that I have found. I am guessing that will actually be enough. It will be rugged if he drops it and not break, but if he drops it in the pool it will probably sink. If you are the one charging the batteries for him and just rotating the pairs it will be much easier on him of course and not really a problem for you. The money you save on buying the Solarforce L2 and extension over a Surefire will just about pay for the batteries and charger. He isn't going into combat and his flashlight should not be catching stray bullets so I think it will be rugged enough.
These are two truly flood light choices that are easy to use. One is definitely brighter than the other and he won't find the batteries so easily on his own. If you stock him up on enough rechargeables it will be a moot point. Otherwise the Propolymer 3C with 10 LEDs in it is actually quite useful as a utilitarian flashlight which is what he probably only needs.

Any flashlight with a P7 module will be real battery hog and probably overkill for what he needs.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you get something that's easy to turn on/off. I don't know how old your friend is or what his abilities with his hands are, but I recall that with a couple of my grandparents, arthritic hands became an issue with many of their everyday actions and interactions with various devices. Make sure that if this might be even a small consideration (and it might not be at all) that you take into account ease of use of the flashlight. There are a LOT of flashlights out there that would definitely not fall into a user-friendly category for an elderly person who might have somewhat diminished use of hands/fingers. Again, this might not be an issue at all, but then again...it could be a big issue, especially if a light was at all difficult to use in regard to pushbutton interface (hard to press or requiring multiple presses for anything). It's perhaps something else to think about, in any case.