Help in Buying New Light!

Confederate

Enlightened
I'm leaning towards the Fenix TK11 because of its heavy duty build and its bright light, modes and, of course, its reputation. I have the latest P3D and am very impressed with it. I do think the TK11 handles heat better and is a bit more rugged and I like the fact that it takes the 18650 battery.

I'm also impressed with the Solarforce L2 R2. It also has a rugged build and a stainless steel assault head, to boot. I don't know how bright the light is compared to the Fenix, or what the quality of the beam is, though.

Also in the running is the Tiablo A9. It seems exceptionally rugged, has greater throw than the Fenix and appears to be just as bright. But is its build as good as that of the Fenix? Based on appearance, I like this light a lot. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with it?

The Fenix P3D is an exceptional light, but leaving it on in turbo is not recommended. It also burns at a low 12 lumens, which provides tons of runtime, and that's attractive. But is it as waterproof as the TK11? Some on this board don't seem to like the TK11 as much as the P3D.

Opinions?

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
I would take the TK11 because of the 18650, with better runtimes. Super tuff and waterproof. Ive got the T1 and its really nice and unbreakable.

Confederate

Enlightened
I sure wish the TK11 was made in olive rather than black. I'm sure the olive one will be in production soon. Anyway, I like everything about the TK11, though the Tiablo is supposed to be a nice thrower.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the P3D (a couple actually) and they are great lights, I like to use mine with the 2Cell PEU body. That body to me makes the light twice as good because of the ergonomics, but everyone may not think so, and it's not cheap. My main one has the black PEU body on an Olive light, I like the 2 tone. So I like the light, I like the ergonomics of the PEU tube, I like the looks. And it is still small enough to slip in a small coat pocket.

I have the TK11 as well and I must say they really are different lights. Mainly because of the size and weight, I really don't see these two lights being the best for the same application. But hey if you need a light, you need a light. They require different carry though for EDC, in the drawer is no problem. I have a beef right now with the ring on the TK11, but the light otherwise is great and certainly seems to be build like a tank. However, I have not tested that theory. I love the 18650 battery, so that is why i got this light, besides it's nice to have a bright light. It's brighter than the P3D.

I'm not sure if the A9 is built as tough as the TK11 because their intended application is different, but others can hopefully comment on that.

That does not seem like much help, but there you go, there is a lot of information on the P3D and A9 about, and the TK11 is gaining a following.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I have the Fenix T1 and the Tiablo A9. I would say the Fenix is more versatile having two light levels, 60 lumens and 225 lumens. Nice hot spot and good spill.

I love my A9 for throw, but that's about all it's good for. If you're buying one as a multi-purpose, the Fenix would get the call from my perspective.

The A9 sure is cool to play with and show off to your friends however!!! I would consider the build quality very good also.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The P3D's warning should be heeded when the ambiance tempreature is really high, like in the middle of the desert, or when the light is left on on turbo in an insulated area.

As for the lights, The TK11 and the Solarforce should have similar beam patterns due to the reflector. The Solarforce should also be easier to upgrade due to it accepting P60 drop-ins, but the modes would work differently. I'm not sure about actual output.

The A9 should be pretty durable. To what extent, I don't know since no one has tested it yet from what I have read.

If you want a more general use, TK11 or Solarforce(I'd take the Solarforce for the upgradeability). If you want throw, A9.

Confederate

Enlightened
Well, the other night I was clicking away at my computer and I heard a horrible screaming outside. Based on previous experiences, I figured it was a fight between a fox and some other animal like a raccoon or a cat. I grabbed my old Inova T4 and ran outside. The light cut a nice swath through the darkness, but I'm starting to see the limitations of this old war horse. I have a good thrower in the LumaPower MRV, so the Tiablo would likely be redundant (though it's rated as a higher power). Anyway, I keep that at my parents' house. The one I get now will be something I have here.

My biggest question, perhaps, is: what are the primary advantages of the TK11 over, say, a P3D? Is it only structural? (They both seem to be equally water resistant.) Is it that the TK11 can be used as a pummel of some sort? Does it have better heat sinking abilities?

This is not going to be an EDC. It's going in a drawer or a bug-out bag.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have three of the four lights mentioned.

What exactly are you looking for in your new light? Anything specific?

Don't own a TK11. The Solarforce L2 host w/ R2 drop-in is a very nice bargain. Not a fan of reverse-clickies though. The build-quality is nice. But not as nice as my Surefire 6P. The head and tailcap on the L2 will fit perfectly on Surefire lights. I bought my L2 mainly to try it out. Had a very negative experience with my first Solarforce light (L600). The L2's best features are very bright output for a very small price-tag. The R2 drop-in itself is a great bargain.

My P3D Q5 is my current work light. Runtime on high-mode is impressive. It's light-weight too. But a bit too slippery. I once accidentally left mine turned on (turbo-mode) for at least 45 minutes straight. The light still works well. Might have shortened the life of the emitter. But the main problem was trying to hold the light. It was way too hot to the touch.

The Tiablo A9 is well-made. It will accept an 18650 cell. But output becomes direct drive. On the plus side, runtime on an 18650 is great. But I love the fact that it will accept 2xCR123 cells too. And works better with those. My job requires me to patrol a large outdoor area, often at night. The throw that this light has is even better than what some CPFers describe. (Mine has the smooth reflector installed). I'd say the quality is closly compareable to Fenix. There have been rumors of fake A9 models popping up and selling for very low prices. If you decide to get an A9, I recommend getting one from Lighthound.

Confederate

Enlightened
How About T7?

Great information. The L2 version I was looking at was on DX. Price seems reasonable for the R2.

I checked Lighthound and their prices seem competitive, too, though I don't know whether shipping is FREE. If not, I'll probably go with someone that does offer free shipping. I did see the Solarforce T7 v.2 (with memory). How does that one stack up?

Thanks for the info!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Lighthound definitely has free shipping.

But.... It's on orders of $75 or up. And shipping to CONUS.

I've ordered from Lighthound several times, and have never paid for shipping.

Taboot

Enlightened
I mostly use my P3DQ5 on Turbo mode and sometimes for extended periods and other than it getting hot, I've never had a problem. On a cold night, it makes a great hand-heater :D

Confederate

Enlightened
Actually, that's why I wanted to consider the Fenix TK11. I understand it manages the heat quite well. BTW, can the "turbo" mode be used for extended periods with the TK11? It's not advised for the P3D.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The heat warning is only if you are working in a high ambient temperature or in a thermally insulated area. You would be sweating quite a bit at those temperatures.

Both lights will work fine on turbo for the whole length of the battery life if you are holding the light or the lights have some halfway decent way of removing the heat from the LED.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It is a pity that the A9 doesn't regulate like the A8 on 18650s. It would be more desireable if it did.

The A8 and A9 are a bit odd, in that they are the same; and yet different too.

The A8 is for those who will mostly use the light with an 18650. The A9 is for those who will usually run 2xCR123 cells in their light.

I've found the anti-roll feature on the A9 to be useless. I took mine off, but kept the other flat / wide rubberized ring on the light. Replaced the reverse clickie with a forward one from Lighthound.com, and couldn't be happier. The Lighthound clickie will also fit on an A8. It's nice that the useless anti-roll feature isn't on the A8 model.

With the modifications mentioned above, the A8 and A9 become almost the same. The only thing different is how they toss out an impressive beam of light. If you want regulation on an 18650, the A8 is the way to go. :thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The TK10/11 would have better heatsinking then the P3D and more throw because of the larger and deeper reflector and higher output.

I think both lights have the potential to overheat if left in a thermally isolated area and left to run on high. It would take a good but longer for the TK10(the batteries might run down by than, anyone willing to test?) but it could happen.

Confederate

Enlightened
Well, how close are we to a TK12? It seems that the technology on these lights is incredible. Inova, which I once thought was "the" flashlight to own, has now fallen way behind. One of my favorite flashlights has been the Surefire G2. I put a drop-in in mine and it's fabulous. I can now put in an R2, but it's fine as is.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, how close are we to a TK12?

Fenix generally releases newer models at a much faster pace than its American counterparts. I wouldn't be surprised if a TK12 were available in as little as a year, possibly less. But have no definite info. about that.

Confederate

Enlightened
Makes me wonder why they release that quickly, as the newer model is not usually that much of an improvement over the previous model, which usually continues to sell at a price very close to the new one. After all, how much better is a TK11 than a TK10? Some people swear they can't tell much of a difference.

BTW, I decided on the Solarforce L2. I was able to get that plus a Spiderfire R8 for about the same price as the Fenix. Seemed like a better deal. I've gotten some great flashlights from DX for almost nothing. Also, Fenix is very much into price controls. You won't see them discounted much if at all.

Last edited: