Nitecore EX10 UV

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished this:

DSC_5691crop.jpg

Beam shot:

DSC_5686.jpg

Cree 7090 UV. about 395nm. I can sense the scorpions outside trembling :naughty:

That's all Folks! :D

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooh, I like! :twothumbs

Hey darkzero, your post on dissecting this thing was the inspiration for the mod, so thanks goes to you for posting that. I had to give an arm and a leg to get just two pieces of these Cree UV's but the result is very worth the effort.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks gorgeous! Where did you get the Cree UV LEDs?

A fellow I know from AR15.com who has a small stash of the parts. I'm going to see if he's willing to part with a few more. I think I'm going to make a second one.

I really like the way this came out. It's now dark here and I just spotted a scorpion from about 20ft away with this set probably 75% of maximum. The sucker just stood out like a lighthouse. Unfortunately, it ran into the crack in the concrete block before I could squash it.

Last edited:

dixemon

Enlightened
Thats pretty sweet!. Im still waiting for someone to make a light that is dual purpose such as the RA Twisty. I can see the red emitter being UV, BL, GR ect... Now that would be a great mulitipurpouse light. Club bouncers, ect..

Cool light, thanks for sharing.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree has UV leds? wow....i need a P60 version of that...

Crenshaw

They're almost impossible to get. The data sheet I have says:

"This is an unreleased product with no release date scheduled..." with a copyright of 2006. There is no mention of these parts on Cree's website. Too bad because they and Nichia are the only UV parts that I would trust. The Nichia's high power ones are also almost unobtanium with prices in the stratosphere.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Um, did you know that the Shoppe has UV Crees mounted on boards? 27 in stock as of right now. I've had my eye on them for a long time. http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_52_79&products_id=673

I'm assuming these are the ones that are used in the UV A19s. If they are the description states that they are 7090, wavelength 390-410nm, flux 200mw @ 350ma.

But please don't buy them all up. I need one too.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work CM :)

Hmm.. i need to get me one of those emitters too.
Let me know if you make a order Will.

:wave:
Benny

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Great work CM :)

Hmm.. i need to get me one of those emitters too.
Let me know if you make a order Will.

:wave:
Benny

I do need to place an order soon for some parts so I'll pick some up. I'll email you.

BTW, thanks to chimo I was able to increase the current on this board. I thought stock current was 500ma but it's not even that. I'll post details in my other thread.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um, did you know that the Shoppe has UV Crees mounted on boards? 27 in stock as of right now. I've had my eye on them for a long time. http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_52_79&products_id=673

I'm assuming these are the ones that are used in the UV A19s. If they are the description states that they are 7090, wavelength 390-410nm, flux 200mw @ 350ma.

But please don't buy them all up. I need one too.

Thanks, are those 7090's? That's a good price.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
...BTW, thanks to chimo I was able to increase the current on this board. I thought stock current was 500ma but it's not even that. I'll post details in my other thread.

It's the 0.15 ohm resistor that sets the current ;) I already figured that out. However, the stock bias is where *I* would like mine to be set. However, I realize there are those that want balls to the walls and the 0.15 ohm resistor needs to be decreased to say 0.1 ohms or so.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
It's the 0.15 ohm resistor that sets the current ;) I already figured that out.

Yes that was a given. I'm not electronics expert so I had to ask to figure out how to calculate what I wanted to drive it at. I don't like to just throw a resistor on there & experiment.

Chimo told me what to measure & the formula to use. According to what he told me I calculated stock current max to be .313333. That's pretty spot on cause I measured .314ma at the emitter.

What did you set yours too? I originally wanted to go higher than 500ma but I don't think it's a good idea due to lack of heatsinking.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes that was a given. I'm not electronics expert so I had to ask to figure out how to calculate what I wanted to drive it at. I don't like to just throw a resistor on there & experiment.

Chimo told me what to measure & the formula to use. According to what he told me I calculated stock current max to be .313333. That's pretty spot on cause I measured .314ma at the emitter.

What did you set yours too? I originally wanted to go higher than 500ma but I don't think it's a good idea due to lack of heatsinking.

I'm set to stock. I have some 0.1 ohm resistors that I've been thinking of installing but I like the runtime with stock resistor. I agree that anything above 500mA is a good idea due to heat. Even with an unmodified light, the head gets very hot when I did a runtime test with mine. I've actually contemplated going lower (say 0.2 ohms) for even longer runtime since I have other lights that are "scorchers" already. However, the fact that this is dimmable lends support to making the resistor smaller. One can always drop to a lower level. Decisions decisions.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Good point. A .10 resistor should give you just under 450ma. I bumped mine up to just over 500ma. Before I rarely ever used anythin other than high. Now & with a R2 with better tint I find myself using the lower levels more.

Waaa? You sold the light already? Knowing Benny it was probably him. :wave:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. A .10 resistor should give you just under 450ma. I bumped mine up to just over 500ma. Before I rarely ever used anythin other than high. Now & with a R2 with better tint I find myself using the lower levels more.

Waaa? You sold the light already? Knowing Benny it was probably him. :wave:

I regret modding other lights with the two R2's I've got. I need to get some R2's with a warmer tint and pick up another EX10 to mod. But my busted thumb is getting painful with the last few mods I've done so I need to take a break for the rest of the day :D

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I regret modding other lights with the two R2's I've got. I need to get some R2's with a warmer tint and pick up another EX10 to mod. But my busted thumb is getting painful with the last few mods I've done so I need to take a break for the rest of the day :D

The stock Q5 WC was way too cool for my tastes & I'm someone who doesn't mind cool tints. I threw a R2 WG on it, it was nice warmer tint but that fact that I could notice green sometimes really bothered me. I know it's all in my head but still. Then I threw a R2 WC on it. This WC was a lot better than the Q5 WC it had. I like it now.

Sorry to hear about your thumb. Hope it gets better soon.