Is there a light like this

NickBose

Enlightened
I am looking for a light for my daily work purpose
- Cree Q5 LED
- 1 AA
- 2 modes only (with extreme difference in lumen, eg 150 and 10)
- As small as possible (cylindrical shape) no fancy big head / reflector
- Clicky mechanism (not twisty)
- whatever-but-not-sure-fire brands will suffice (not too expensive)

I browsed through DX and KD sites but could not find one meeting the criteria yet?

Can someone recommend me something please? :thinking:

NickBose

Enlightened
Lights with exactly two modes are very difficult to find.

That's exactly the point. A zillion-mode light is out of the question as this is a light for serious day-in-day-out working purpose, not for fancy white wall fun or camping show-off.

NickBose

Enlightened
Nitecore D10 is close

Nitecore Defender Infinity is a spot on match

Fenix L1T v2.0 is also very close. The visual difference between a Q2 and Q5 is pretty much indistinguishable to the eye.

Thanks for the quick suggestion.

The NDI is too expensive and too complicated for this purpose.

The Fenix seems right, the price is a bit expensive, though still manageable (a Romisen or Ultrafire price range is what I am looking for). Is it clicky or twisty?

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit - Marduke beat me and you already responded. Leaving it as is for now :p

Fenix L1T v2.0 might fit the bill for not two pricey. Levels are controlled by the front bezel but on/off is the clicky. Specs say 16 and 98 lumens as the two levels. 46.50 at the fenix store before the CPF discount.

Nitecore D10 could be used as a 2 level light only ever jump between max and min brightness, and never ramp. That would give you 3 and 130 lumens as your levels. A little more expensive and maybe to low for your needs.

NDI - two levels, with one user selectable

LF5XT - CAN set it as a two level light. Seems a bit of a waste but maximum flexibility.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The closest I can think of to what you're looking for is the LumaPower ConneXion. It's 3 modes, but not programmable and dead simple to use. Take a look HERE.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix seems right, the price is a bit expensive, though still manageable (a Romisen or Ultrafire price range is what I am looking for). Is it clicky or twisty?

It's a forward clicky in the tailcap for on/off. The levels are controlled by the bezel position though.

loanshark

Enlightened
Take a look at the LM31 @ battery junction. It's high is about 80 lumens and I think the low is somewhere between 5-10. Very nice light... I'll also second the recommendation for the Nitecore D10 it's my new favorite, seems very tough...

NickBose

Enlightened
The closest I can think of to what you're looking for is the LumaPower ConneXion. It's 3 modes, but not programmable and dead simple to use. Take a look HERE.

very interesting light. how do you change modes? Half pressing the tail clicky?

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
very interesting light. how do you change modes? Half pressing the tail clicky?

Yes, from off, a half press shows if you're in high, med, or low. Another quick half press takes you to the next mode, full click to lock that mode on. It has a memory, so it comes on in the last mode left on for more than a second or so. Very easy to use. The pocket clip is nice, rides very low in your pocket. Glow in the dark switch cover and O-ring behind the lens. Hard to go wrong for the price, bright on high and dim on low. Lighthound is a great company to deal with as well. Really fast shipping.

harddrive

Enlightened
If you want the light for "serious day-in-day-out working purpose" then I would suggest your give more thought to the Fenix L1T. For just over $40 (after 8% discount from Fenixstore.com) you are getting a very good light and lifetime warranty.

The Ultrafires etc are cheap but for work a light that is going to do a lot of work I would rather pay a bit more to start with and not being waiting for it to fail me.

NickBose

Enlightened
It'll come down to one of these:

Lumapower Connexion
Fenix L1T
KD B-6

The Connexion UI is the best but it['s also the most expensive.
B-6 is the cheapest but maybe not reliable enough.
Looks like Fenix will get the business this time

What is the CPF discount code? Is it at the fenix-store?

Thanks for all the great suggestions :twothumbs

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a ConneXion that has been upgraded with a Cree R2 LED by CM, who does great work, in the marketplace HERE for less than a new one. It looks like a great deal.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of the Nitecore DI as a two mode flashlight where one of the modes if user set, and the other one is max, you NEVER have to see the Strobe or programming if you dont want to.

Crenshaw

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll come down to one of these:

Lumapower Connexion
Fenix L1T
KD B-6

The Connexion UI is the best but it['s also the most expensive.
B-6 is the cheapest but maybe not reliable enough.
Looks like Fenix will get the business this time

What is the CPF discount code? Is it at the fenix-store?

Thanks for all the great suggestions :twothumbs

GreenLED maintains a list on CPFM of discounts offered. For the Fenix store I believe it is CPF8 and you will know right away if that works when you order.