PrincetonTec Amp 5.0

Rzr800

Enlightened
From Popular Science; Aug. 2008:

"This flashlight is as bright as a spotlight and burns for 150 hours on one charge. It extends battery life by running the LEDs at less than their maximum amperage; which produces nearly all the light while saving power."
Princeton Tec Amp 5.0; $45; princetontec.com

Can't seem to find info on their site or anyplace else as of today (incl. CPF)

vtunderground

Enlightened
I don't suppose Popular Science had a picture of this light?

The little blurb suggests that the light is rechargable and has multiple emitters... for $45 that sounds good to me!

Rzr800

Enlightened
I don't suppose Popular Science had a picture of this light?

There looks to be three small LEDS arranged horizontally under yet another LED that has its own reflector...with all four contained in somewhat of a standard flashlight bezel head. Possibly black plastic or rubber encased with a yellow orange accent on the middle body.

No info on the PS site either.

vtunderground

Enlightened
There looks to be three small LEDS arranged horizontally under yet another LED that has its own reflector...with all four contained in somewhat of a standard flashlight bezel head.

Sounds like the PT Apex headlamp, in flashlight form? If so, that's too bad... I was hoping PT would do the right thing and cram the bezel full of Crees!

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
Hey Rzr800 :), seems you were a bit quick off the mark, i could only find 1 solitary reference to the very new amp (series) 5.0 .... HERE
amp3mt2.jpg

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a 65 lumen light with more over glorified marketing hype and less substance. whooptystinking do.
Not impressed. And it doesn't say that it will run at full power for 160 hours, just that it will run for 160 hours.

Certainly don't care for the way they advertise. :thumbsdow

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite the glorified advertising the Amp 4.0/5.0 sound interesting to me.I really like the TEC-40 but the LED version has relatively low output.If these new lights are using Rebel LEDs they should be a step up.I would be especially interested if they were warm tinted.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the few things that incans do better than leds (it pains me just to write that sentence!) is being bright while surrounded by plastic. Since the incan puts most of its heat out the front instead of into the light.

I do not see any 200+ luman led 4AA lights coming from UK,PT,Pelican or Streamlight anytime soon. And I do not think (except for Pelican's great 7060 light) that the companies have figured out what a 18650 is or its potential.... Alkalines are pretty cool though...:tinfoil:

vtunderground

Enlightened
Well, Brightguy has the Princeton Tec AMP light up on their website now. It LOOKS like the 4.0 and 5.0 use reflectors - instead of the optics like the rest of PTs recent lights.

For $30, I can see the long runtime and dual levels of light making the 4.0 a great light for my truck.