Need help for my first LED flashlight!!!

kay2087

Newly Enlightened
Hi, this is my going to be my first LED flashlight. Technically it is my third since I also had a mte ssc p7 (2 modes) and a dorcy 1 watt light. But this is the going to be the first one in some other sense. Anyways what I am looking for is
1) a (perhaps very) good throw
2) Some spill (but not much of a concern)
3) super bright
4) I have a flexible budget so don't worry about it.

Probably the best light out there (that you guys think):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to the CPF!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy! :wave:

kay2087

Newly Enlightened
come on guys I am not looking for what are now standard lights.:ironic::ironic:
What I want is a light which won't make me repent when I go through the rest of the pages in the forum I mean something which is relatively new (though tested) and beats the rest of the crowd. This is not for my girlfriend it is for my own personal use as a forest ranger.
Finally i prefer spot over flood as i already have a flood light.:crazy::crazy:

GBH2

Newly Enlightened
Some more details of what you would like would help - size, battery type etc.

However, if you want a great thrower you can't go wrong with the Dereelight DBS V2. You can even upgrade the pill later when the next great emitter comes out.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome! You might also want to look at the Surefire E2D LED.

The Surefire E2D LED is an amazing thrower (120 surefire lumens which others have noted is comparable to around 200+ other brand lumens).

What is also a plus is that it has a very usable low (5 lumens) which is good enough for walking at night and more than enough for around the house.

Plus, it has a crenelated (scalloped) strike bezel that could do some serious damage as a last-resort self defense tool if absolutely necessary.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24531/sesent/00

I have had one for about a month now and love it!!!

kay2087

Newly Enlightened
in terms of battery I would prefer one which uses 18650 though I am not fussed about getting a new set of batteries.

in terms of modes I need atleast two modes high and low more modes are good but not excatly essential.

Finally I would like to have light with a regulated output as opposed to a direct drivel.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome! You might also want to look at the Surefire E2D LED.

The Surefire E2D LED is an amazing thrower (120 surefire lumens which others have noted is comparable to around 200+ other brand lumens).

I've not heard that it's like 200 lumens, more like 150.

kay2087

Newly Enlightened
one more thing it would be preferable if it had a ssc p7 emitter. But I will be happy with others as well.

Plus can anyone tell me how to mod my mte ssc p7 so that the output is regulated and the throw improves (mine one has an op reflector) do i need to change the reflector and if so where can i get the new one from and how do I do it.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
One of the best throwing stock LED light is the Dereelight DBS.

The Seoul P7 is bright but it has a larger emitting area, so it requires a much larger reflector then the Seoul P4 or Cree XR-E to have the same beam pattern, but the massive output would make up for a good bit of throw.

As for your light, a smooth reflector would give you a doughnut hole in the hotspot at full focus but it would give you more throw. I don't know where to get similar smooth one. Good regulation would be the hard part.

:welcome:

spencer

Enlightened
If price is no object, maybe go talk with Mac. He just made a tri P7 light as seen here. He can probably make something similar for you but geared more for throw.