Looking for a good LED floodlight

kirby

Newly Enlightened
Looing for a LED flashlight that can do good flood lighting to 30 feet or so.
Most lights that I have come across mainly focus on throw.

Is that one or two that do flood lighting well?
Would something like this be suitable?

[eBay link removed - DM51]

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DM51

Flashaholic
I am sure members will be able to make better suggestions for you than the light given in your link. I have removed the link, but for other people's information it was to a very budget-price "shower-head" type light, the sort which a few members have bought in the past as a curiosity rather than in the serious expectation that it will work as advertised.

generic808

Enlightened
Depends on how much you want to spend. If you got about $100, I'd say go with a Surefire 6P and Malkoff M60F drop-in :twothumbs Now that's what you call FLOOD!!

Citivolus

Enlightened
I'd suggest a Surefire type removable or flip up diffusion filter for this type of use. They are not really that expensive, and let your light serve dual roles.

Regards,
Eric

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you define your idea of flood.

It can mean a wider hotspot than normal.
Any SSC-P7 light.
P7Lminibeamshot.jpg

Check out the outdoor pictures at the bottom of the 1st post.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194716
If you follow the review links here, there are more beamshots of other models.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=180867

Strong spill.
L0D Q4.
Sorry no pictures.
I took a shortcut home down a dark alley once. The big light I had with me 'My little Friend 3x3Watt' ~225 lumens put a very bright hotspot at the end of the alley (not much use as the cross street has streetlights). The spill only covers 5-10 feet in front of me so I do not see the puddles until I come right up to one. I dug out the L0D CE on my keychain ~45 lumens. Not as much hotspot but the spill extended from where I am to the cross street so I can plan a route around the puddles.

No hotspot, even flood.
Zebralight.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/175449
I made an even flood by covering BOTH sides of my 2C MagLED lens with Glad Press n Seal. So if you have a MagLED try that.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

generic808Re: Looking for a good LED floodlight
Depends on how much you want to spend. If you got about $100, I'd say go with a Surefire 6P and Malkoff M60F drop-in :twothumbs Now that's what you call FLOOD!!

generic808

Enlightened
Honestly, I was skeptical as to just how floody the M60F was until I actually received one of my own. It has now bumped all my other drop-in's off the map. I prefer the M60F over the M60, which already was the standard.

yalskey

Enlightened

I can attest to that. One of the smoothest bright spot to flood spill transitions I've ever seen.

Oh yeah, and if you can find someone (cough cough) that polishes Surefire 6P's to shinny silver... that would be even better!!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What price range are you looking at?

And how wide would you like the beam at 30 ft?

With or without a hotspot?

kirby

Newly Enlightened
What price range are you looking at?

And how wide would you like the beam at 30 ft?

With or without a hotspot?

Thanks.

Price : below US$100
beam : 90-110 degree or 20-30' across at 30' distance
preferably no hot spot but does not matter as long as the hotspot is not overwhelming like some of those throwers. :)

I want to use it mainly indoor especially working in the roof space (between ceiling and roof) and also close distance eg inside a room or installing computer etc. Throwers are counter productive. If it can go 30' then I can use it when going for a walk at in the evening too.:)

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
I want to use it mainly indoor especially working in the roof space (between ceiling and roof) and also close distance eg inside a room or installing computer etc. Throwers are counter productive. If it can go 30' then I can use it when going for a walk at in the evening too.:)

I know you didn't ask, but have you considered headlights? The Zebralight gets wonderful reviews around here, is entirely flood, and is well below your $100 target. It seems like having my hands free when in the roof space would be a good thing....

I don't have first hand experience, but I'm planning to get one. (Next time they're in stock and I'm not way over budget....)

Let me add the Malkoff M60F is incredible. It, in something, would be a good choice if you want a hand held light. However it moves you to more exotic batteries. (Some flavor of Lithium, rechargeable or primary.)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Zebralight headlamps should be good for this task, 30 ft might be a bit of a stretch though, I've never seen one of those lights in person so I can't confirm that.

The Malkoff M60L would be a great choice for this.

A diffuser for your current lights might work too.

kirby

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

Zebralight got mentioned a few times. May be I should try it out. I am waiting for the H60 or H61 version that use 18650 mentioned in another thread.

Malkoff M60F got mentioned a few times. Is this the one ? http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=22 It has "25" after M60F so is that the same as M60F ?

Does it only fit Surefire 6P or could it be fitted to other flashlgith? It would certainly exceed $100 to get both Surefire 6P and M60F plus freight to downunder.

Yes, I am getting some headlamp. Just order a Black Diamond Icon for my work. May get a Princeton Tec APEX if that one not suitable. However I still love to have a handheld flood light. :p

On eBay there are quite a few with 128 LED. DX has one SKU 1205. They either use 6 AA or 3 D size batteries. Anyone knows how bright and how far it lights up?

kirby

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I can just fashion a piece of plastic from those recyclable milk container and stick it in front of the glass of a 900 lumen flashlight (and hope that it won't melt ;)). Or maybe get a camera flash diffuser (DX sku 13119) and cut it to size and stick it in front of the glass of flashlight?

Citivolus

Enlightened
Eric,

Are there any generic diffusers? None of the Surefire ones would fit my light.

Which light is it that you have now (or are you considering getting)? I'm not aware of any generic designs, but there are some improvised filter designs available, including an assortment of translucent plastic caps, PDA screen protectors, and textured sticky tape.

Regards,
Eric