Keychain beater flashlight options

gojira54

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
I have an Arc AAA DS which has been living on my keychain for a while and while I think it's great I want something with a bit more... oomph ;)

I've been looking at the draco and aeon specifically but would appreciate any opinions as to what could replace the arc and why please!

I'm after a small keychain light that is going to take abuse so not worried about finish or battery choices, only durability and practicality.

Thanks for any advice in advance :0)

HKJ

Flashaholic
Some possibilities are the Fenix L0D or the LiteFlux LF2X.

The Fenix is a 3 level light and is rather easy to use. It is supposed to be used on NiMH, but some people uses LiIon in it.

The LF2X is a advanced light with 7 programable slots: 3 for light levels, 2 strobe and 2 sos slots. It can run on LiIon or NiMH batteries. This light can be programmed to a very wide range of brighthness.

Your could also look at a Lummi Wee.

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in your position less than two weeks ago. I went with an Aeon Hardcoat for its superior runtimes. I typically choose Al over Ti as I do not expect to put keychain lights through hard use past 12-18 months. If durability is of utmost concern, then perhaps you should look to the Draco in TiCN.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
I carried a CR2 Ion XT for over a year. It got a hell of a beating, and performed faultlessly throughout - a great little light. At the end of that time, it still hardly had a scratch to show for it.

I recently upgraded to a Ti Aeon, which looks and handles much the same but is a big improvement all round. Highly recommended - but Adam makes a good point in post #3 about Al vs. Ti.

tricker

Enlightened
th100_0288.jpg

Draco!!(can you spot it?)

smaller
both have excellent build quality
rechargeables(3 different sizes)
brighter
customizable(output,emmitter,body,coating)
tritium option
sexy and tough, like chuck norris:poke:

Last edited:

gojira54

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to you all for your interesting opinions :twothumbs
I hadn't really considered Lummi or Fenix as I haven't looked at their lights much before... but there are so many options ;)
The Aeon really appeals to me because of the reported build quality, simplicity of interface and use of 'off the shelf' batteries. Am I right in thinking 'programmable' lights like the draco and fenix will draw on the battery even when not on because of a small microprocessor and is this not the case with the aeon?
Thanks for the comments on Al vs. Ti... I don't want to be afraid of damaging it when I know it will be replaced further down the anyway.
My only concern with the aeon is about dust/debris getting behind the lens and not being able to remove it. I love the Arc AAA for this reason and knurled lights rule!
Think I've got to go for the HA Aeon, you guys have really helped me out :0)

Snow

Enlightened
I'd recommend the KD Tough light. I like mine quite a bit. It's cheap and it live up to its name.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. Just that I have three minor gripes with the Aeon: First, the head threads into the body clockwise when facing the front of the lens. No problem there. However, this is somewhat counter-intuitive to what I am accustomed to when twisting the light on as the rotary dials I typically come across switch on by turning the dial to the right. To this day, I continue catching myself engaging the switch in the wrong direction. Second is an issue inherent with twist-on switches that is no fault of the Aeon in that debris accumulated along the exposed brass of the head tends to deposit itself along the O-ring. Now whether the debris actually serves to abrade the O-ring under repeated engagement of the light may be up for debate, but it is food for thought. YMMV, of course :) . Third, I would have liked to seen at least one tritium slot milled in along the lines of the Orb Wee.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
... an issue inherent with twist-on switches that is no fault of the Aeon in that debris accumulated along the exposed brass of the head tends to deposit itself along the O-ring. Now whether the debris actually serves to abrade the O-ring under repeated engagement of the light may be up for debate, but it is food for thought.
It has the same placement of the O-ring as the CR2 Ion, and I never had any problem with my Ion in more than a year of hard use. Clean off any debris and lightly re-grease the O-ring and threads every 2 weeks or so and you'll be fine. Much the same as any twisty, really.

Edit: BTW, I never had to replace an O-ring on the Ion - there was no sign of abrasion. And I'd still have that same light on my keychain now if Enrique hadn't brought out its upgraded cousin, the Aeon...

Last edited:

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Check out the Peak "Baltic" in 1 X AAA.

It's about 0.85 inch longer than an Arc-P (in keychain version). However, it's actually a bit more "grab-able" from within a pocket with a bunch of keys attached. I suggest the HP (High Power) version... which should give you a bit more light and runtime than the Arc. Alternately, move up one notch to the Ultra Power for even better punch. (They're all the same price: around $50.)

Suggest you get it in Stainless Steel or Brass (vs. HA Aluminum) for the durability you seek. These are a tad heavier than the Alum versions, but that shouldn't be a problem -- unless you wear those tight, Metrosexual Pimp nut-hugger trousers with flimsy miniature pockets barely suitable for toting two dimes and a flea condom.

The Brass is 25% off right now, but act fast. These are tough, high quality little lights, and Peak has great customer service in my experience. There's a reason why ya just don't see many Peaks available for re-sale on the CPF B-S-T section: they're neat, practical, reliable, and durable. Like the Arcs, they really grow on you. The Baltic fits your particular need quite nicely.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix doesn't take any energy when it's off. I think the Liteflux doesn't either. IIRC the Draco is off when it is off. No power drain.

Unless you work around crushers or very heavy objects, I don't think the tube material would matter much as long as it is a good metal.

I'd go for the Fenix or Liteflux but that is mostly because I don't have much cash.

If you go for the Aeon, I hope you like it!

greentee

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm too looking for a _really_ small flashlight to carry along with me in the
pocket. I currently have a Liteflux LF2X (78 mm x 14 mm); basically
the light should be able to last for say 30 min walking through dark
without stepping into dogsdr**pings... (so the battery needn't last that long, but the light should be rather bright). And the size should be s.th. like ca. 50 mm x 11.5mm. I have been looking at the Aunoc AAAA and the Draco lights.
It would be great if you made some suggestions, thanks for your effort!

have a nice day...

matthias:wave:

Last edited:

gojira54

Newly Enlightened
Hi Greentee!
I went with my gut feeling and bought an Aeon :0)
CONS
weight - double arc aaa
$$$ - expensive
possible damage - worries the lens will get busted but I'm not going to 'baby' the light

PROS
beam - tint and power is MUCH better, won't be going back ;)

I considered the Draco but was put off by rechargable batteries, runtime and UI.

Hope this helps ;)

333czyo.jpg
m7yuzq.jpg

BMF

Enlightened
Anyone uses an ArcMania MPJ Extreme III as a beater? I have one but it's a shelf queen.