Li-Ion replacement for N30

sycore

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if there is a Li-Ion replacement battery available for the N30?

Thanks

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if there is a Li-Ion replacement battery available for the N30?

Thanks

No there is not.

There will be an L35 in the future. I personally do not see how it would be in Matt's best interest, after putting so much time and resources, into the L35 project to offer a Li-Ion battery for the N30.

Now I do not and cannot speak for him,
but I would advise him NOT to offer a Li-Ion pack for N30's. The N30's were designed to be as inexpensive as possible while offering a decent quality light. A stand alone Li-Ion Pack would very likely be as expensive or even more expensive then just buying another N30. That sort of defeats the whole concept that went into the design of the N30 in the first place.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yeah, I know what you mean. If Matt offered a li-ion battery by itself, I don't think it would help his L35 sales much. Plus, I like the idea of the better battery married to the better light. C'mon September!

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
What size cells does the N30 have?
11 3800mAh Sub-Cs.

The L35 will be, IIRC, using LiPoly cells in a "brick" configuration. This will allow tighter packing and more energy density than a similarly sized bundle of 18650s. I'm not sure if they'll go for a 3s or 4s, that would depend on the operating bounds of the HID ballast. For 4s LiPoly to work, the ballast will need to tolerate as high as 16.8V. For 3s LiPoly to work, the ballast would need to tolerate as low as 9V.

I actually don't even need all the runtime on my N30 as it is, so there isn't much incentive for me to attempt to "homebrew" a LiIon upgrade for the N30. If I was going to do that mcuh work, I'd probably want to cannibalize the entire light for the ballast and bulb (and loose sub-C cells), and find an entirely new host for it.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The N30 has 11 x 3600mah SubC's. We'd recently discussed upgrading them but it would add at best 10% runtime and the cost of the N30 pack would go up 20% - that's bad math, especially since we'd have to spend $6K to recertify the pack - needless to say we passed. If you need longer runtime but an extra pack or an L35when they arrive. :)

As 2XTrinity mentioned we'll be using Li-Poly cells in the L35 - safe, stable and lots of energy density. The pack is a 11.1V 5600mah in 3S2P configuration with balancing, reverse polarity, thermal etc protection. The new multivoltage charger for the L35 (there will be a new multivoltage charger for the N30 available as an option soon as well) is a high frequency adapter and the new DC cord uses a DC/DC rectifier circuit to boost the incoming voltage to be able to charge the L35's Li-Poly pack OR the N30's NiMh pack.

I've started a poll regarding lenses/filters;please take a second and give us some feedback. Thanks!

LINK: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202952